The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I don’t think you’ll find many Carolina fans who would agree that necas relies on others to drive his offense. From all the time I watch him, it is the opposite—he creates and drives offense on his own

Then why is he still a net negative defensively on a very structurally sound team that has a great defensive system.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is how I've felt for some time. We have multiple prospects that will start to see the end of their waiver exemption status, I'd like to reset a couple of those windows instead of forcing them into lineup.
Who are you referring to? Our top forward prospects have 2 to 3 yrs of waiver exemption left. I think Johnson is the closet on defense and he has 1 or 2 years left.

1719497492082.png

Reactions: Weltschmerz

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The issue, for me at least, with the idea of Necas is you aren't changing the texture of top six much.

Yes,I get it, Necas is a better skater, better effort winger than Skinner. Better playmaker, etc. So,its a change in that respect.

But is he a leader? What does he bring that we don't have in Peterka, Savoie, Quinn, or any of the waves of undersized, speedy offensive wingers in our system?

If you are going to pay a premium price for someone, in acquisition cost and salary cost, it should be someone that fills a hole. And while I think swapping Necas for Skinner, essentially,would be an upgrade overall and a change, I think there are better and cheaper fits overall. I'd rather give Guentzel 7x10 than pay 11th overall for Necas and give him 6x8, for example. Or see what Lindholm's asking price is. Maybe go spend a 4th round pick and get someones negoation rights.

A Necas deal COULD make sense....if combined with other deals and changes, but it would eat alot of your resources up pretty quick.

To use a baseball analogy. Necas is swinging for the fences with your 1st man up rather than trying to get on base. If the Sabres could get a walk, a double, and a single, they'll score more runs and be more successful.

In the end, this is simply a rumor not an actual deal. So we will see. And even if we do get Necas, it wouldn't be the only change for the summer, at least i would hope.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
It's rumor season: Utah wants a top pair D.

Disclaimer: I don't hate Power. I think he is solid now, has more potential, and will grow into his contract just fine. I do have concerns about his non-exit defensive game, especially how it will fare in the playoffs. And my preference isn't to build through an expensive, top-heavy D.

What's the offer from Utah for Power? Could be a bigger deal from our side. It starts with Crouse+.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

Disclaimer: I don't hate Power. I think he is solid now, has more potential, and will grow into his contract just fine. I do have concerns about his non-exit defensive game, especially how it will fare in the playoffs. And my preference isn't to build through an expensive, top-heavy D.

What's the offer from Utah for Power? Could be a bigger deal from our side. It starts with Crouse+.

Not interested in the slightest

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

no

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The issue, for me at least, with the idea of Necas is you aren't changing the texture of top six much.

Yes,I get it, Necas is a better skater, better effort winger than Skinner. Better playmaker, etc. So,its a change in that respect.

But is he a leader? What does he bring that we don't have in Peterka, Savoie, Quinn, or any of the waves of undersized, speedy offensive wingers in our system?

If you are going to pay a premium price for someone, in acquisition cost and salary cost, it should be someone that fills a hole. And while I think swapping Necas for Skinner, essentially,would be an upgrade overall and a change, I think there are better and cheaper fits overall. I'd rather give Guentzel 7x10 than pay 11th overall for Necas and give him 6x8, for example. Or see what Lindholm's asking price is. Maybe go spend a 4th round pick and get someones negoation rights.

A Necas deal COULD make sense....if combined with other deals and changes, but it would eat alot of your resources up pretty quick.

To use a baseball analogy. Necas is swinging for the fences with your 1st man up rather than trying to get on base. If the Sabres could get a walk, a double, and a single, they'll score more runs and be more successful.

In the end, this is simply a rumor not an actual deal. So we will see. And even if we do get Necas, it wouldn't be the only change for the summer, at least i would hope.
Guentzel and Lindholm, seriously? You don't need those old guys' contracts. And none of those guys are coming to Buffalo.

The upside to Necas is his age, but other than that, yeah, he doesn't change our offense that much, even though he's a proven player compared to Savoie or Kulich. I still like Zegras better. And the best bet is to go for McGroarty.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Sounds terrible. Sounds like your disclaimer is a lie too.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Just stop, why is everyone so excited about Crouse? I mean, yeah, he's a physical winger who puts up 40 points. How the hell can we even consider trading our young and potential 1D for a player like that? Try finding another Crouse like Zito or sign another player to UFA.

Reactions: Dingo44

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Could you please give it a rest; these comments add nothing to this conversation since its practically cookie cutter insert Pegula hate here

There are so many people blasting GMKA in here like his decisions exist in a vacuum. The naivete and ignoring of the actual spending over the last two years is really hard to comprehend. It's really impossible to know exactly how many of the issues with the Sabres have been just GMs. Adams is probably the least experienced GM in the league and likely near the bottom of pay.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I would do Byram for Crouse.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Just stop, why is everyone so excited about Crouse? I mean, yeah, he's a physical winger who puts up 40 points. How the hell can we even consider trading our young and potential 1D for a player like that? Try finding another Crouse like Zito or sign another player to UFA.

People want change for change. I totally get it. There was so much that uninspiring last year but I really don't want dramatic moves just because. i think we might get one though

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015

IMHO Dahlin would be the most likely of our "big 3 defensemen" to be moved. Power and Byram are on record as "wanting to be here". Dahlin has been here a long time and see some atrocious failures by this organization and would be the most likely to want out. That being said, there's no way i see any of this happening.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I just don't understand this obsession of Crouse's that they're even willing to trade Power. :confused:

I'm with you. A lot of people are so negative about Power. I think he is elite. Sabres have some serious talent. I don't agree with panicking at all this year. I keep Skinner, pickup a backup goalie for depth and let Ruff tell me what two UFA players he wants on short-term teams. Let Adams spend close to cap but get some one year deals. Give Lindy a year with the team.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
IMHO Dahlin would be the most likely of our "big 3 defensemen" to be moved. Power and Byram are on record as "wanting to be here". Dahlin has been here a long time and see some atrocious failures by this organization and would be the most likely to want out. That being said, there's no way i see any of this happening.
OMG, what are you talking about? Have you all gone crazy today? Dahlin isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

The man just signed a max term contract that hasn’t even started yet.

All he ever talks about is how this is the only place he wants to be and he will be part of turning this franchise around as the top guy.

You are outside of your mind.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm with you. A lot of people are so negative about Power. I think he is elite. Sabres have some serious talent. I don't agree with panicking at all this year. I keep Skinner, pickup a backup goalie for depth and let Ruff tell me what two UFA players he wants on short-term teams. Give Lindy a year with the team.
I disagree with you about Skinner

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I disagree with you about Skinner
Fair enough. But I don't see enough advantages beyond this year. Honestly, unless they really empty cupboards of prospects, playoffs will be hard. Carolina, Toronto, Rangers, Devils, Bruins, Florida and Tampa Bay all look ahead of us. Maybe someone like the Bruins of Tampa finally falls apart, but the Red Wings or Sens could easily just emerge, too.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Lindy has been around long enough to know that this deteriorating version of Skinner has no place in his lineup. He wants speed and forechecking out of his forwards. Skinner has neither. He can’t play bottom six to any effectiveness. He’s an anchor. And his days floating on the top line are over.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Nice. I feel like you're a veteran of the Great Power Wars of May-June 2024, so I get it.

I don't agree that Power is or should be untouchable. But he definitely is the type that appears untouchable until the day he gets moved. He's a excellent piece, I just don't know about the long term fit here.

Either way, I think Utah is likely our best trade partner this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad