The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I dont like it.

I have concerns on cap getting handcuffed

you need to move Paterka/Quinn/Power/Byram to making the cap work.

I hate this analysys of comparing specific drafted spots. It utterly meaningless
I pray for the day that our biggest problem is we have so many good players that someone of value has to be moved to teams that are willing to restock our cupboards.

Sure beats this future cap fear mongering

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I dont like it.

I have concerns on cap getting handcuffed

you need to move Paterka/Quinn/Power/Byram to making the cap work.

I hate this analysys of comparing specific drafted spots. It utterly meaningless
No it’s not. It’s meaningful in showing you that 1st round picks, even in the top 15, are complete shots in the dark. This team has made a lot of those picks, so trading one for a proven top 6 player is great value.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They are weak. Talented but weak. Defenseman take time to reach potential.

Our entire top 4 D and goalie averages like 22-23 years old. We’re not going to have much success with that for a while. Our older defense are terrible.
Who is weak? Dahlin, who hits a lot and plays with grit or Cliffton or Sammy? Yeah, I would replace Jokiharju with another RD, but I don't see any RD on the market that I would pay 11 for. UFA has Roy and Tanev, maybe Walker/Carrier. In trade, for me it's only Marino, Larsson, Whitecloud, Jensen, maybe Borgen or TVR and none of them are worth the 11th pick.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Fearnot

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Necas + Drury would be much more attractive.

In these highlights he reminds me more of Tuch than Skinner. (I mean in terms of playstyle)

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Trading 11AO makes little sense when the team has a logjam of similar aged prospects all knocking on the door and nowhere near enough spots for all of them.

Make the pick this year and trade one of the current high end prospects to alleviate the crowded prospect pool. This year's pick will then be ready to provide some seriously needed cheap ELC Talent into the lineup in 3-4 years when this team should be contending and is going to need quality ELCs the most.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Who is weak? Dahlin, who hits a lot and plays with grit or Cliffton or Sammy? Yeah, I would replace Jokiharju with another RD, but I don't see any RD on the market that I would pay 11 for. UFA has Roy and Tanev, maybe Walker/Carrier. In trade, for me it's only Marino, Larsson, Whitecloud, Jensen, maybe Borgen or TVR and none of them are worth the 11th pick.
We’ve never gotten Dahlin and Power a legit veteran partner. Thats my goal of the offseason.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We’ve never gotten Dahlin and Power a legit veteran partner. Thats my goal of the offseason.
Dahlin probably doesn't need him anymore. Power will probably play with Dahlin (that's what Lindy said). But overall, yes, we need a partner for Byram or Power on the second pair, but we also have Sammy. I'm just saying I don't see anyone on RD right now that would be worth paying 11 or even plus.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Dahlin probably doesn't need him anymore. Power will probably play with Dahlin (that's what Lindy said). But overall, yes, we need a partner for Byram or Power on the second pair, but we also have Sammy. I'm just saying I don't see anyone on RD right now that would be worth paying 11 or even plus.
Ok, I didn’t hear that. At least Power will have an easier time with Dahlin. I hated that they never got those guys a good veteran partner. It was criminal. We’re lucky Dahlin is just an elite player, it could’ve ruined him.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Why is Adams this passive? Not a single thing from Buffalo, yet other teams making trades or signing ELCs and other activity. Where is the urgency they talked about?
This post feels like it's about a week too early. The draft hasn't happened, and free agency hasn't started. All the trades have been some variant of a cap dump, which the Sabres will do by buying out Skinner (today?).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is Necas what we need???

Just use whatever it’s gonna cost to acquire him and use it to pry Cirelli and Jeanotte from Tampa….about the same salaries and they’d make us a hella lot better
I'll look at it this way- scoring wingers who have defensive issues- Peterka, maybbbbeee Tuch? That's really it. Quinn is solid enough and will only grow (plsss stay healthy!). The rest of our top-9 has Benson and Greenway who are both good defensively. Our centers could become an issue, but if Adams adds a legit top-9 C + some wingers to grind on the 4th line, then the Necas addition wouldn't be as catastrophic as some are making it out to be. Also, I think we're all looking at Cozens to become that two-way beast we need him to become, so he's going to be counted on as one of our stronger defensive centers.

My issues are more his next contract + if he's not willing to play wing + and cost to acquire him, but he's under team control this season and still an RFA next season, so we have time to see how he gels and if he'd be part of the core or not. If the price is only a 1st round pick, then I'm fine with that.

I keep coming back to this LU:
Necas-Thompson-Tuch
That speed that Skinner had two years ago was severely missed. Necas is going to bring that again. High O Zone starts!

Greenway- Cozens- Quinn
I know some are against Greenway in the top-6, but @joshjull reminded me yesterday that Grier and Drury were more of a 3rd line at ES, but Drury played everywhere so his total on ice time was the most of any forward. If the plan is to have Cozens become our two-way beast that Drury was, then maybe we can expect similar usage of Cozens. Minutes split between the 2nd and 3rd line at ES but special teams will push up their mins.

Peterka- XXX- Benson
Spread the wealth! Roll three lines that can all contribute on scoring sheet. The top line would really be the only one with defensive issues, and that's ok.

XXX- Krebs- XXX
These XXX's should come relatively cheap in trade/and or FA.

Power-Dahlin
Byram-Jensen
Sammy-Clifton

So, if they can actually obtain Necas for a 1st + a small add, then we can look to add a third line C. If we want a Cirelli type, we'd then need to use our wealth of high profiled prospects + maybe Krebs or Joki? Add a D man like Jensen, who would come relatively cheap, and fit in like a glove on our defense. A few 4th line wings to close out the activity for this summer. It can still be done, and we can still be a harder team to play against with a revamped 4th line + a third line C to go with Greenway and Benson as a shutdown line.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Why is Adams this passive? Not a single thing from Buffalo, yet other teams making trades or signing ELCs and other activity. Where is the urgency they talked about?
have some patience, the summer has just began. If there's crickets after Saturday, and forward we will all have the pitchforks out. KA is not getting a free pass many gave him after last summer, fall for the usual excuses or we will be on to Karmonos or Forton.

Last edited:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Trading 11AO makes little sense when the team has a logjam of similar aged prospects all knocking on the door and nowhere near enough spots for all of them.

Make the pick this year and trade one of the current high end prospects to alleviate the crowded prospect pool. This year's pick will then be ready to provide some seriously needed cheap ELC Talent into the lineup in 3-4 years when this team should be contending and is going to need quality ELCs the most.

I agree. This is the year we trade our Jacob Klepis for Mike Griers.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Not sure how I feel about Necas for potentially 11OA and then the estimates on his possible salary.
He is an RFA after this season, so Adams could see how this season plays out before committing. If it doesn't workout, he can always trade him. It'd likely be at a lesser value. That team control after this year is a nice insurance policy. We don't have to rush any decision.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
The word is that Necas only wants out because he wants to play center, not wing. Your lineups should all take that into consideration. The shiny new big-ticket guy is going to get what he wants.

He's going to be 3C until at least January. Let's hope it works better than the Marcus Johansson experiment.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He is an RFA after this season, so Adams could see how this season plays out before committing. If it doesn't workout, he can always trade him. It'd likely be at a lesser value. That team control after this year is a nice insurance policy. We don't have to rush any decision.

He is an RFA this offseason and is not under contract for 2024-25 today.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The word is that Necas only wants out because he wants to play center, not wing. Your lineups should all take that into consideration. The shiny new big-ticket guy is going to get what he wants.

He's going to be 3C until at least January. Let's hope it works better than the Marcus Johansson experiment.
or gasp....Leino at center

2c or 3c, dont care how you number those lines based on roles and matchups if it comes to that

JJP-Tage-Tuch
X-Necas-Quinn (one of the kids for X?)
Benson-Cozens -Y (go get Mang for Y?, Greenway?)

Reactions: Diaspora

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The Sabres have to decide if they think he’s a player that can drive offense or if he needs to be surrounded by someone with that ability to reach his potential. It’s worth mentioning that they should not consider moving him to center. He doesn’t have the two-way game to succeed in that role and it would only set him back. Necas is a winger at this level and that’s ok.

If they make this move with the belief they’re solving their issue down the middle, yikes. Thankfully, I don’t think that’s what they envision for him.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Necas is better than pretty much every 11th overall pick since 2005 (Kopitar) so I am all for including It in the deal. Salary will be interesting though if It happens.

I’m curious, where do you think Necas slots in the lineup and is there a specific role you see him in?
If he was an on an ELC I’d take him all day. I think it’s the contract situation that worries people. And that fact that it won’t just be the 11th pick - probably a prospect on top of that too.

I think they’d slot Necas with Tage and Tuch since the whole reason he wants to leave is reportedly because he wants to play top line minutes. That’s probably what they’d dangle when getting a contract worked out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

He is an RFA this offseason and is not under contract for 2024-25 today.
Yup. I just mean we own his rights, so we can trade him to another team if his ask is too high. Of course, it'll likely be for less assets than we give up unless he blows up.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

1) I do think a prospect will be included on top of the 11th pick

2) I don’t think any of our prospects individually carry anywhere near the perceived value as the 11th pick this year. As you noted previously, Dickenson would easily blow them all out of the water, value-wise. Same with Yakemchuck and probably a few others too.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yup. I just mean we own his rights, so we can trade him to another team if his ask is too high. Of course, it'll likely be for less assets than we give up unless he blows up.
If they trade for him, they are giving him a big money, multi-year deal that will likely be untradeable unless he blows up. And if he blows up, they won't want to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad