The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hate we can't deal him with retention to someone, anyone but I'm guessing Skinner's being an ass.

I mean, when you have enough money that the dollars don't effectively matter, would you rather get 2/3rds of your remaining contract and freedom to live and work wherever you want or be given a list of 1 or 2 places to choose from and get all of it?

I think most people would choose the buyout over the trade unless it was to a market I was truly excited about living and playing in. I'll begrudge Skinner a lot, but not using the rights he earned in his contract.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I mean, when you have enough money that the dollars don't effectively matter, would you rather get 2/3rds of your remaining contract and freedom to live and work wherever you want or be given a list of 1 or 2 places to choose from and get all of it?

I think most people would choose the buyout over the trade unless it was to a market I was truly excited about living and playing in. I'll begrudge Skinner a lot, but not using the rights he earned in his contract.

My loyalty is to the Sabres, to the team, to the city!

Yes most people probably would but it doesn't make me hate him any less

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In all seriousness though, I mentioned multiple times that if the Sabres were serious about winning this year, step 1 was buying out Skinner.

So this is a good first step.

But....this is simply the foundation for the work that still has to happen.

They need to add, by my count:

1. A top six scoring winger
2. A 3rd and 4th line center
3. A 2nd pair d-man to pair with Power
4. In an ideal world, a competent backup, though, it appears that won't be the case this year.
5. And probably 1-2 4th liners

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
In all seriousness though, I mentioned multiple times that if the Sabres were serious about winning this year, step 1 was buying out Skinner.

4. In an ideal world, a competent backup, though, it appears that won't be the case this year.

I'd bet anything Krebs will be either the 3C or 4C (I with they would have waived him last year when he still had protection).

I would take any defenseman in the more "stay at home" archetype, and then let the D pairs sort themselves out based on chemistry. If the acquired D ends up on the 3rd pair because Dahlin, Power, Byram and Samuelsson fill in the top 2 pairs, then no biggie. I wouldn't pay a high acquisition price to get a top-4 D.

A wildcard could be targeting a top-6 center (Stamkos on a high AAV, short term?), and then bumping Cozens to wing or down to 3C.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Unfortunately, my guess is that Power's partner (Byram, Samuelsson, or Dahlin) , one of the 3C/4C (Krebs), and the backup (Levi) are already here.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I can't remember if it was in the athletic or somewhere else, but I saw a "Be the Sabres GM" post about trading something like Krebs, 11, and one of Ostlund/Savoie/Rosen to WPG for Ehlers, Iafallo, and maybe a later pick or a B/C level prospect. I think I'd be in favor of that sort of move, as I'm struggling to see how they'll retain all the forwards currently coming through the system.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Interesting timing on this post, because I've been thinking a lot about the biggest problems with last years team, and I keep coming back to the offensive performance of our top line and 1D. While GAR/WAR is far from a perfect stat, I continually come back to this table:

View attachment 887316

The difference in EV Offense and PP offense from 22-23 to 23-24 is staggering, and it resulted in some extreme declines in GAR, WAR, and SPAR. among this group of players.

We can revamp the bottom 6, get grittier, improve our defense, and improve the coaching, but we need our big guns (perhaps sans Skinner) to return to form and stay healthy. We need this more than any other offseason change.

The issue last year besides the PP was the injuries with the top 6F

Guessing this has been posted, and I missed it.

Fairburn builds our roster out this offseason, and it’s pretty solid.

Hoe can I say this...I'm fine with most of the moves. I just dont like them all and I disagree on some of the trade values.

I think one of the top 12 should be reserved for 1-2 new ELC F. Buffalo has a bunch to compete for a position internally.

This roster has none

In my cap plan they currently have 8/5/0 and $23.5M

$6M for UPL resign and a 1yr vet G. Let Levi play full time in rochester
I have 2 F spots for about $5M combined costs. One being a C.
7D for $1.5M
Sign Krebs/C for $1M
Rousek as 14F

11/6/2 roster with $10M-$11M in space

On D do you promote RyJo anf have Powe/Byram play RD or do you get a mod pair RD and have RyJo be primary call up.

Byram'Dahlin
Samuelsson-xxx
Power-Clifton
$1.5M vet D ( bryson or someone else)

With Forwards

Skinner -tage-Quinn
Peterka-Cozens-xxx
Benson-yyy-Tuch
Greenway-Krebs-xxx
Rousek, yyy

yyy = 2 vet F I mention for combined $5M van be 3C and extra F

xxx= ELC Fs in rochester. You will have competition among Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, Ostlund, and a few others

Of course they will sign 2 or so F tweeners that likely play h in rochester or be a bottom 3 call up.

Sure they could sign/acquire a middle 6W even if Skinner ismt bought out.

Skinner bought out you then get another one.

You trade Krebs, you bring in a c

Wow. That logo looks awful. Looks like an iron-on.

Said similar about MLB uniforms too
Weird that the buyout smoke has dissipated with the approaching window.

Feel like I'm in the minority but I won't be too upset if we keep him. Aside from the presumed kane signing, it's going to take even more assets to replace his offense, which I'd rather spend on potentially 2 centers and marino.

I get it might happen. It could wait till deadline/ next summer wh err n cap hit higher than actual salary

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not going to try to make all the trades work, but I think we'd have the assets to bring in some solid depth even after a Zegras trade. If Zegras is our big top-6 ass, then I think it's imperative to get a top-9 C with defensive chops. A strong center spine can alleviate some of our wingers defensive issues. I also think we can still make a tough LU to play against even after adding Zegras:

Zegras-Thompson-Tuch:
Let's try to recreate magic. Ruff will need to make Tuch understand he needs to be the big body on this line. Work the front of the net. Zegras can add some nice playmaking and will be able to keep up. Heavy O zone usage.

Greenway-Cozens-Quinn:
I've wrote about this line in the past. Greenway needs to play the role of the 'big boy' who is a PITA to control down low. Quinn adds some crazy dynamic skill to the line. Cozens has two good linemates who will help him progress into that savage two-way player we need him to become.

Peterka-UFA/Trade-Benson:
Benson + our newly added top-9 center should create a nice defensive duo to go along with Peterka's dynamic offensive all the while covering up for Peterka's issues on the defensive side of the puck. I think there are few options that would work well in between these two. Cirelli is near the top of my list, though.

UFA/ Girgs-Krebs/Dowd-UFA/ Trade
A solid defensive line that is a PITA to play against. I would be fine with Girgs coming back but would like to see Carrier and Jeannot added to make this a true energy line. I also think it'd allow Krebs to unlock his rat game knowing he has Jeannot and Carrier who have his back. Dowd could be a nice add here, too.

Power-Dahlin
Power gets a true #1 to grow with. I think they can complement each other well.

Byram-trade/UFA (Jensen?)
Say we trade our 1st, Joki, and 1 of our better prospects + some other picks to net us Zegras and a top-9 C. I'm not sure we'd have the ammo to go for someone like Marino. I like the idea of Jensen here. I'd assume a 2nd round pick may be able to get the job done. He's older, and coming off a down year, but he can PK and allow Byram to do his thing. I also like the idea of them becoming a physical 2nd pairing.

Sammy-Clifton
Now, we have some nice depth. Sammy can move up in a pinch as could Clifton. Physical, third pairing D that is probably better than a lot of third pairings other teams ice.

So, do you guys think Joki, 1st, Kulich and/or Rosen, 2nd round pick, + a bit more can net us Zegras, Cirelli, Jeannot and Jensen?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I'm not going to try to make all the trades work, but I think we'd have the assets to bring in some solid depth even after a Zegras trade. If Zegras is our big top-6 ass, then I think it's imperative to get a top-9 C with defensive chops. A strong center spine can alleviate some of our wingers defensive issues. I also think we can still make a tough LU to play against even after adding Zegras:

Zegras-Thompson-Tuch:
Let's try to recreate magic. Ruff will need to make Tuch understand he needs to be the big body on this line. Work the front of the net. Zegras can add some nice playmaking and will be able to keep up. Heavy O zone usage.

Greenway-Cozens-Quinn:
I've wrote about this line in the past. Greenway needs to play the role of the 'big boy' who is a PITA to control down low. Quinn adds some crazy dynamic skill to the line. Cozens has two good linemates who will help him progress into that savage two-way player we need him to become.

Benson + our newly added top-9 center should create a nice defensive duo to go along with Peterka's dynamic offensive all the while covering up for Peterka's issues on the defensive side of the puck. I think there are few options that would work well in between these two. Cirelli is near the top of my list, though.

A solid defensive line that is a PITA to play against. I would be fine with Girgs coming back but would like to see Carrier and Jeannot added to make this a true energy line. I also think it'd allow Krebs to unlock his rat game knowing he has Jeannot and Carrier who have his back. Dowd could be a nice add here, too.

Power-Dahlin

Say we trade our 1st, Joki, and 1 of our better prospects + some other picks to net us Zegras and a top-9 C. I'm not sure we'd have the ammo to go for someone like Marino. I like the idea of Jensen here. I'd assume a 2nd round pick may be able to get the job done. He's older, and coming off a down year, but he can PK and allow Byram to do his thing. I also like the idea of them becoming a physical 2nd pairing.

Sammy-Clifton
Now, we have some nice depth. Sammy can move up in a pinch as could Clifton. Physical, third pairing D that is probably better than a lot of third pairings other teams ice.

So, do you guys think Joki, 1st, Kulich and/or Rosen, 2nd round pick, + a bit more can net us Zegras, Cirelli, Jeannot and Jensen?

No thanks on Zegras

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Zegras-Thompson-Tuch:

Greenway-Cozens-Quinn:

Power-Dahlin

Sammy-Clifton

Not sure if Greenway will be in the top 6.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What the Sabres need is a good top 4 veteran defenseman, a solid two-way center, and a high energy 4th liner.

Emphasis on the good veteran top 4 defenseman. Someone that’s been through battles and can still play 20+ minutes.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Unfortunately, my guess is that Power's partner (Byram, Samuelsson, or Dahlin) , one of the 3C/4C (Krebs), and the backup (Levi) are already here.

We know that they plan on running UPL/Levi....which is silly. Similar to last year, there is absolute no reason to force NHL starts on Levi yet other than "We love Levi!".

This makes you an injury away from having to ride one of UPL or Levi excessively because your 3rd goalie is going to be a AHL grade starter. Last year UPL got worn out because Comrie sucked and it led to losses down the stretch.

With plenty of cap space and Levi's full AHL eligibility, the logical thing here is to get the best veteran backup you can for a 1 year.

As for the others, I'm hoping there is some common sense here. My hope is that Ruff insists on getting some Veterans in here for him to lean on, especially on D.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If it will hurt less to trade Skinner to the Leafs than to do the buyout...

Skinner + 2025 1st + Kisakov
for
Liljegren + McMann + Benoit

Then maybe a Jokiharju for Hayton type deal

You've got money to throw at Joshua now

UPL 4x4.5
Joshua 4x4.5
Sherwood 3x3
Hayton 3x3
Krebs 2x1.5

Joshua Thompson Tuch
Quinn Cozens Peterka
Benson Hayton Rosen
McMann Krebs Sherwood
Tierney? or some 13F center

Byram Dahlin
Power Liljegren
Sammy Clifton
Benoit

UPL
Levi
3G

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
EH has Peterka at 6 x $5.2M and Quinn at 2 x $2M (likely due to injury and limited clarity on what he is).

If Peterka and Quinn would each take 6 x $6.5M, you lock them in ASAP, IMO.
Especially Quinn, I think that contract would look ridiculous in a couple years. If I'm Quinn, I'm not signing anything long term until I show my abilities for a full healthy season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We know that they plan on running UPL/Levi....which is silly. Similar to last year, there is absolute no reason to force NHL starts on Levi yet other than "We love Levi!".

This makes you an injury away from having to ride one of UPL or Levi excessively because your 3rd goalie is going to be a AHL grade starter. Last year UPL got worn out because Comrie sucked and it led to losses down the stretch.

With plenty of cap space and Levi's full AHL eligibility, the logical thing here is to get the best veteran backup you can for a 1 year.

As for the others, I'm hoping there is some common sense here. My hope is that Ruff insists on getting some Veterans in here for him to lean on, especially on D.
You don't have to convince me that they should get a quality NHL backup like Stolarz and start Levi in Rochester to have as much 1-2-3 goalie depth as possible.

I hope that if Marino is on the market, that they get him. But, I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens. I think they roll with Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, and Byram as the top 4.

And I would love getting a couple of veteran bottom 6 centers. But, my guess is that they get one and have Krebs as the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad