The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Obviously you’d interview a bunch of players at the combine. You wouldn’t be doing your job if you only interviewed the prospects you want to draft.
I'm going to go out on a limb here but I think what he was suggesting is that if they liked McGroarty more than Savoie, they would have drafted him so trading Savoie for McGroarty seems kind of stupid.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Is Necas a better or much better player than Farabee, for example? I'm not sure, and the price for them is probably different. I think Adams could find a better option than these two.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Mittelstadt struggled mightily when faced an entire season and not a short stint as did Levi

The issue is that kind of agreement (promising mittelstadt he’d be in the NHL or telling Levi they wouldn’t add another goalie) you are letting player dictate a NHL roster decisions before they even step in the ice. And if you sign McGoarty and then send him to the minors, he will be pissed about that to.

The Sabres have done far too much of sacrificing NHL wins to turn their professional team into a developmental one.

You can’t sign McGroarty and say ‘here’s one of our 12 forward spots this year’ ahead of all the other players who have put in their due in Rochester and the needs of the team.
You're conflating two separate things. Signing a college kid to burn an ELC year has nothing to do with their further development. The ELC year is simply a tool in a give and take situation. Did KA make a mistake burning one of Power's years? You can argue about bridge/long term contract but not about using the negotiating tool

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You're conflating two separate things. Signing a college kid to burn an ELC year has nothing to do with their further development. The ELC year is simply a tool in a give and take situation. Did KA make a mistake burning one of Power's years? You can argue about bridge/long term contract but not about using the negotiating tool

The issue I am trying to avoid is promising college kids roster spots (Mittlestadt) or specific paths to the roster (Not replacing Comrie with Levi). McGroaty seems to want that. The window for McGroaty burning a ELC year in a few game trial is passed.

From my understanding, McGroarty wants a clear path to the NHL, the Jets aren't willing to promise that. The ELC burning isn't an issue that I'm aware of.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who's everyone's favorite top 6 add targets?

Mid-6, I want someone like Coleman because the team is so short on that style of game. Similarly Hartman's movement doesn't kick in until next summer, he's probably 2nd.

Edit - there are some top 6 types who they may acquire who I'm not thrilled about.

Reactions: joshjull

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Is Necas a better or much better player than Farabee, for example? I'm not sure, and the price for them is probably different. I think Adams could find a better option than these two.
Would rather deal with the flyers than with the canes though.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Who's everyone's favorite top 6 add targets?
Buch, DeBrusk, Coleman, Marchessault, Crouse, Ehlers, Konecny, Vatrano, maybe Farabee

I'd be absolutely shocked if Adams adds a top 6 guy, even if Skinner isn't here. Tage and Cozens are locked in. Tuch, JJP and Quinn are likely locked in. Benson could finish out the top 6. Or Kulich. Or Savoie.

I think the forward adds are for the bottom 6.
But he said it himself after the TDL, and if they buyout Skinner (which seems possible), it makes a lot of sense to add a proven guy to the top 6, since relying on young guys again doesn't make much sense. And there's a lot of smoke in the air that Adams wants to add a top 6 forward.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
But he said it himself after the TDL, and if they buyout Skinner (which seems possible), it makes a lot of sense to add a proven guy to the top 6, since relying on young guys again doesn't make much sense. And there's a lot of smoke in the air that Adams wants to add a top 6 forward.
I'll believe it when it happens. I think Adams is fine going with what we've got in the top 6

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
At this point we should probably accept the big roster upgrade is behind the bench. The fact that the team Adams is rumored to be talking to is Washington (with their roster of uninspiring meh I have no interest in) doesn't inspire me with any confidence.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I doubt any GM would consider for a second giving up a 1st AND an A prospect for McG.

And rumors are that Carolina’s ask might be a 1st, a young NHLer, and a prospect for Necas.
Its a 1st and a top prospect for Necas was the reported asking price. Funny how you minimize the value in favor of your point while maximizing the value of Necas to also favor your point :laugh:

We will see in a few weeks what happens.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'll believe it when it happens. I think Adams is fine going with what we've got in the top 6
Well then he lied. But overall we have a very young team and we need experienced and skilled guys everywhere. Lindy got such players in New Jersey, it will be strange if he doesn't get them in Buffalo.

Reactions: Jacob582

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mid-6, I want someone like Coleman because the team is so short on that style of game. Similarly Hartman's movement doesn't kick in until next summer, he's probably 2nd.

Edit - there are some top 6 types who they may acquire who I'm not thrilled about.
YES.

1719172351467.png

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
At this point we should probably accept the big roster upgrade is behind the bench. The fact that the team Adams is rumored to be talking to is Washington (with their roster of uninspiring meh I have no interest in) doesn't inspire me with any confidence.
Dylan Strome is intriguing, but I'd be a little surprised if Washington traded him.

Dowd as 4C.

Jensen could, but as I understand it he wasn't very good last season and he's almost 34 years old. I hope we don't get a second Eric Johnson with him.

Not sure about McMichael.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Noone said it's the only team he is talking to, also there are free agents.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

This post is a month early

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Good additions But maybe something else for coleman if possibly. Not high on rosen , dont know why

We are fine with That , good Young players that need to be there. The problem That needs to be fixed is add depth and players That can both play top 6 and 9 . The problem is the 3-4 line

Reactions: Ehran

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
big moves are 100% happening. The question is will they be good players, will they work or will we be getting taken to the cleaners?

Adams job is on the line and everybody knows it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad