The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, the difference between this team finishing 5th or 6th again vs making the playoffs is NOT Skinner. There's a ton more to improve on besides him, and either way they aren't a SC contender for the next couple seasons, so why slap yourself with dead cap for three more years after he could be gone?
Not a fan of a buyout. I don't really want to carry a lower cap-hit for 6 years vs. 3 years. It would be tough, and maybe cost the Sabres an asset or two, I'd be much happier if they could trade him - even with retained salary - and be done with it in 3 seasons.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Buyout would be bad for Skinner . Keep him and send him Down or let him Sit. 2 years and then buy him out last year instead if really needs

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Not a fan of a buyout. I don't really want to carry a lower cap-hit for 6 years vs. 3 years. It would be tough, and maybe cost the Sabres an asset or two, I'd be much happier if they could trade him - even with retained salary - and be done with it in 3 seasons.
I don't think Toronto wants him and I doubt Skinner wants to go elsewhere.
Best option for him is buyout and then picking a spot. He probably benefits financially as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You are framing this in a way to make your personal argument look better but your logic is way off. You are saying pegulas are cheap because they are limiting the future cap by buying out skinner. They would be limiting it by paying skinner out now, not just out of thin air. It is more expensive to pay out 14 million now than to pay it out over 3 years. giving time for interest to accrue on that 14 million and if they spend to the cap they are saving 0 dollars, they are just still paying skinner to not play here.

You can't be like "oh they are cheap because they limited the cap by 2.5 million because of the skinner buyout!" while ignoring that the reason the cap is limited is that they already paid that money years ago.
I do not believe that they have to give the entire buyout at the time of the buyout.

The 2/3 of the remaining salary is split out over 2x the number of years remaining.

So, the cash out the door is $2.4Mx6 years and not one $14M check this year.

Reportedly Skinner is unwilling to waive his NMC because he would rather get the buyout and then have full control over where he goes next.

My guess is that if he is bought out, he signs a one year deal with the Leafs.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Baker is against a Skinner buyout and Fairburn is for it.

Sounds like they been reading this board ha
I'm on Fairburn's side.

Although I haven't finished watching it yet, I like Fairburn's target Buchnevich, but Hayes doesn't seem to suit me very well. But then they start discussing Laughton... I passed that. Although I like Konecny. Next Faksa and Coleman.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Chad hits the nail on the head with one thing: if they buyout Skinner and spend well below the salary cap, it is a waste other than the cash savings.

Meanwhile, Jeremy White does not expect the Sabres to spend near the cap if they buyout Skinner.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Chad hits the nail on the head with one thing: if they buyout Skinner and spend well below the salary cap, it is a waste other than the cash savings.

Meanwhile, Jeremy White does not expect the Sabres to spend near the cap if they buyout Skinner.

Is the motivation for buyout Skinner just about money and spending? They also have to keep re-signing next summer in mind anyway. There could be a lot of factors for buyout Skinner.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is the motivation for buyout Skinner just about money and spending? They also have to keep re-signing next summer in mind anyway. There could be a lot of factors for buyout Skinner.
There are three main reasons to buy out Skinner:

1) You don't see a spot in the top 6 for him and he doesn't play the type of game that they want from a bottom 6 winger
2) They want the cap space to make moves this offseason
3) They want to save on the actual cash spend this upcoming season perhaps due to the expenses they have taken on for the KBC maintenance

If they buy out Skinner and they enter the season $8M+ below the cap, it will just be about #1 & #3.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I do not believe that they have to give the entire buyout at the time of the buyout.

The 2/3 of the remaining salary is split out over 2x the number of years remaining.

Reportedly Skinner is unwilling to waive his NMC because he would rather get the buyout and then have full control over where he goes next.

My guess is that if he is bought out, he signs a one year deal with the Leafs.
Hence why I'd rather keep 1 more year; no interest in helping the Leafs with their cap conundrum.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I doubt the Sabres want to pay Skinner $10M in cash and have him count $9M against the cap in a "must win" season as they don't want him in the top 6.
I think they're serious about winning this season. So it's going to be a new top 6 forward, it's going to be a new 3C, it's going to be maybe another guy like Greenway. Not to mention a fourth line. Also, theoretically one of Kulich/Savoie/Rosen could step in during the season or even right away. Where's the room for Jeff? I don't see it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There are three main reasons to buy out Skinner:

1) You don't see a spot in the top 6 for him and he doesn't play the type of game that they want from a bottom 6 winger
2) They want the cap space to make moves this offseason
3) They want to save on the actual cash spend this upcoming season perhaps due to the expenses they have taken on for the KBC maintenance

If they buy out Skinner and they enter the season $8M+ below the cap, it will just be about #1 & #3.
That would be so wild if they buy out Skinner and still make space for his AAV under the cap. I would be thankful because I can finally stop following this garbage team.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Sure but that's really beside the point. The point is that cap space we can't use isn't saved money. It's money we have paid someone to not play here. It's not evidence the owners are cheap by limiting the cap, it's money already paid.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sure but that's really beside the point. The point is that cap space we can't use isn't saved money. It's money we have paid someone to not play here. It's not evidence the owners are cheap by limiting the cap, it's money already paid.
They are being cheap if they save $7M in cash out the door and they don't use the added cap space to improve the team on the ice.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My big inflection points:

• The plan on defense
  • 3rd and 4th line center or just 4th line center
  • Replacing Skinner
I'd like to see them add a veteran goalie, but by all indications are they are going UPL/Levi.

Reactions: Jim Bob

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I mean, if anyone was wondering if the Skinner buyout is real, this is as much as a confirmation that he's going to give.

He's adamantly denied things in the past with regards to rumors about players (Tuch being the latest example).

If they felt Skinner was a big part moving forward, Adams would have said so to save face with the player.

"everything is on the table" is a confirmation at this point.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wow, I’m shocked that Friedmann is able to get info when the team and agent won’t say anything. I was told by several Buffalo fans that you’re not able to get info if it doesn’t come from those two sources.

I was also told that Friedmann can’t be trusted with info about Buffalo because Adams dislikes him personally because Friedmann did his job one time and reported that Tuch was being asked about last season.

Starting to look like Eliot is right though…Is he a magician who used black magic? I’m starting to think so.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Wow, I’m shocked that Friedmann is able to get info when the team and agent won’t say anything. I was told by several Buffalo fans that you’re not able to get info if it doesn’t come from those two sources.

I was also told that Friedmann can’t be trusted with info about Buffalo because Adams dislikes him personally because Friedmann did his job one time and reported that Tuch was being asked about last season.

Starting to look like Eliot is right though…Is he a magician who used black magic? I’m starting to think so.
That isn't what you said dude lol. You said people were crazy for saying that Friedman and Adams don't have a perfectly fine working relationship.

They don't. Friedman has said multiple times the information didn't come from Buffalo or Skinner's agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad