The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Carrier, Duhaime, Trenin, Martinook, Blais.
If Adams doesn't add these type of players this season, then he ain't the one. I dont know how he can watch the playoffs, listen to Marchand talk about the injuring other players, etc...and think everything is fine. I would hope Cozens getting filled in last year would light a fire under his ass to find some players who can step up in place of our young C who is trying to find his game.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Like I said, it’s tempting, but I’m more worried about salary structure than winning the trade. So, you give a bunch of futures, which could be cost controlled assets to invest a huge chunk of cap space in a non-premium position. It’s bad cap management. I’d give up that package for the player, but the combo of high salary and premium futures is too rich for me.
One thing that the Sabres are not lacking right now are quality prospects on ELCs. They have so many of them that they have a lot of guys burning years of their ELCs in Rochester because there are no NHL roster spots for them.

Moving two or three futures for a quality veteran is not something that Adams should be afraid to do this offseason.

If he gives Lindy the youngest roster in the NHL to work with next season, I will be very disappointed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There are some good arguments both for and against paying that much for Cirelli. Adams has some tough decisions...I'd kill to know what his options are.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Seems like a classic Tim Murray "one too many pieces" deal. 11 OA for Cirelli seems like a "must" include........then either the 2nd or Ostlund.

But Cirelli is exactly a guy they should be targeting.
Not on that contract.

Therr are s a reason KA traded Mitts...due to salary structure for a 3C spot st $6M+

Look at the roster
Cap $87.7

8F $34.6
5D $31M

Say $5M for 2G

8/5/2 with $17M

Johnson 3LD and Sign 7D fot combined $2M
8/7/2 with $15M left

2F on ELC
2F combined $5M
12/7/2 with 8M left.
Krebs fot $1.5M
Yes they can afford Cirelli and br against the cap

but what happens next summer when kids are due and greenway can walk. Also byram is due another contract. If the cap increases by $4M you still wont have the space to resign them all.

If they were going to acquire s vet making $5M+ they srent moving 11OA. They likely trade Joker, Krebs. And Peterka who would be due in 2025. I see Quinn is the better of the two. The younger wingers can replace him. Peterka raise in salary for a center.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Lindy will be a central figure in building his roster, no question. It won't be Kevyn handing him anything.
People thought that about the coaching staff and we saw what happened there...

I'm down to overpay, but I'd be curious to who else was available for that hefty price. Might have several good options if paying that much.
You have to find the overlap in the Venn diagram of:

- Centers on teams with cap issues
- Centers without trade protection
- Centers that fit what the Sabres need

Cirelli isn't the only guy on that list. But, that list is not huge.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
People thought that about the coaching staff and we saw what happened there...

I think we've come up with a decent sized list over the past few weeks/months, but I will concede that none of them are in the same echelon as Cirelli. He may be the best option but a good amount, and I'd like to aim for the best option out there.

Imagine having a guy on the team who shows up in Selke votes. :cool:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Wild Bill Karlsson might be a damned good fit here too....if we could convince him to waive his NTC.
Same idea with Pageau, who should be far cheaper to acquire if he'd waive to come here.

Beyond that though -- I ain't seeing much at all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think we've come up with a decent sized list over the past few weeks/months, but I will concede that none of them are in the same echelon as Cirelli. He may be the best option but a good amount, and I'd like to aim for the best option out there.

Imagine having a guy on the team who shows up in Selke votes. :cool:

Posted this a few months back -

Funny, I have a list of centers running for a "Center of Attention" thread idea and he's fifth:

1. Jack Drury – Carolina, 23, RFA for his 2nd contract coming of his ELC.
  2. Nic Dowd – Washington, 33, $1.3M AAV for just next season.
  3. Teddy Bleuger – Vancouver, 29, UFA.
  4. Anthony Cirelli – Tampa, 26, $6.25M AAV for 7 more seasons, no NT protection now, 1st year of extension.
  5. Noah Cates – Philadelphia, 25, $2.625M AAV for 1 more season, then RFA.
  6. Phillip Danault – Los Angeles, 31, $5.5M AAV for 3 more seasons, 10 team NT protection.
  7. Brock Nelson – NY Islanders, 32, $6M AAV for just next season, 16 team NT protection
  8. JP Pageau – NY Islanders, 31, $5M AAV for 2 more seasons, 16 team NT protection.
  9. Lars Eller – Pittsburgh, 34, $2.45M AAV for just next season.
  10. Noel Acciari – Pittsburgh, 32, $2M AAV for 2 more seasons, 8 team NT protection.
  11. Barclay Goodrow – NY Rangers, 31m $3.641M AAV for 3 more seasons, 15 team NT protection.
Jack Drury remains my favorite guy to try to pry out by whatever means necessary.

Also, Jenner is the Jackets version of Girgensons. The owners love the guy. It seems unlikely that he's moving in the summer after they didn't leverage the league-wide lust for him at this trade deadline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes, I remember this. Good list, though I wouldn't think their respective teams would even discuss moving Drury, Danault, or Nelson.

Dowd, Cates, and Cirelli are my favorite targets on here. I wouldn't mind grabbing two of them if Krebs is moved.

I would think Drury is going to be off the table completely. But hey, may as well ask.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good list but...
View attachment 874238

...I think we also need some faceoff winners. None of these guys are good at faceoffs.
View attachment 874241

... maybe get one of these guys for faceoffs too, in addition to your list.
View attachment 874251

True, though I still hold that the way to faceoff respectability is through improvement from Thompson and Cozens overall. 43.3% out of their "#1 center" on 859 draws and 45.6% on 1146 from their #2 is not something bit players can overcome. Those two were 3rd and 1st in total draws, that's where they lose possession. Someone coming in to take a couple hundred draws in a depth role is nice but can they play? Can they skate? I would assert that Monahan is looking really slow out there, even if all the injuries haven't built up a lot of mileage. Henrique is already in his mid-30's. Internal improvement would solve throwing money at guys who may be spent.

I'm going to die on the hill of "faceoffs don't matter" as a macro.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Not on that contract.

Therr are s a reason KA traded Mitts...due to salary structure for a 3C spot st $6M+

Look at the roster
Cap $87.7

8F $34.6
5D $31M

Say $5M for 2G

8/5/2 with $17M

Johnson 3LD and Sign 7D fot combined $2M
8/7/2 with $15M left

2F on ELC
2F combined $5M
12/7/2 with 8M left.
Krebs fot $1.5M
Yes they can afford Cirelli and br against the cap

but what happens next summer when kids are due and greenway can walk. Also byram is due another contract. If the cap increases by $4M you still wont have the space to resign them all.

If they were going to acquire s vet making $5M+ they srent moving 11OA. They likely trade Joker, Krebs. And Peterka who would be due in 2025. I see Quinn is the better of the two. The younger wingers can replace him. Peterka raise in salary for a center.

What you do is trade or buyout Skinner and then bridge Quinn and Peterka

The other option would be to use Byram to shuttle Skinner to a team to get bought out. Ryan Johnson slides in

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
One thing that the Sabres are not lacking right now are quality prospects on ELCs. They have so many of them that they have a lot of guys burning years of their ELCs in Rochester because there are no NHL roster spots for them.

Moving two or three futures for a quality veteran is not something that Adams should be afraid to do this offseason.

If he gives Lindy the youngest roster in the NHL to work with next season, I will be very disappointed.
Moving one or two of these young guys caught in the log jam should be a much higher priority than moving 11OV, IMO. It'll mean Adam has to part with one or more of his guys though...

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Wild Bill Karlsson might be a damned good fit here too....if we could convince him to waive his NTC.
Same idea with Pageau, who should be far cheaper to acquire if he'd waive to come here.

Beyond that though -- I ain't seeing much at all.
He's actually my favorite fit given the contract, but the have to get him to waive, and including to someone previously speaking on it somewhere (here? twitter?), apparently its thought that he won't leave Vegas on grounds of family.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
11th OA, 2nd in ‘25, Noah Ostlund for a $6.5 million dollar match up forward? Tempting, but I’ll pass.
I'm actually wondering if Tamps might not prefer Krebs in a package for Cirelli. Cheap, cost-controlled, still has room to grow, plays center. Paul would replace Cirelli, Krebs can work himself into the Paul role.

Krebs + Ostlund/Rosen + 2025 2nd = Cirelli

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm actually wondering if Tamps might not prefer Krebs in a package for Cirelli. Cheap, cost-controlled, still has room to grow, plays center. Paul would replace Cirelli, Krebs can work himself into the Paul role.

I would do that deal, Tampa only would if they're actually in a bad way capwise.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Been having similar thoughts, while the #11 in this draft might have more value in a vacuum, I don't think it lines up with what Tampa is trying to do at all. They'll likely prefer young cheap roster players, prospects close to being contributors, or picks in future drafts. I'd try to dangle something based on our 2025 1st and Rosen but would be open to including Krebs too (opens up the 4C slot for someone physical like everyone wants)

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's actually my favorite fit given the contract, but the have to get him to waive, and including to someone previously speaking on it somewhere (here? twitter?), apparently its thought that he won't leave Vegas on grounds of family.

Well, he might not have a choice in the matter. He only has a modified NTC, he can veto a trade to 10 teams. Ostensibly, we're on said list.

But......if he is that family-oriented, maybe he can be sold on Buffalo as a great place to raise said family.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Been having similar thoughts, while the #11 in this draft might have more value in a vacuum, I don't think it lines up with what Tampa is trying to do at all. They'll likely prefer young cheap roster players, prospects close to being contributors, or picks in future drafts. I'd try to dangle something based on our 2025 1st and Rosen but would be open to including Krebs too (opens up the 4C slot for someone physical like everyone wants)
The only issue I have with the concept is that if we don't "win the trade", we're helping a division rival extend their window. I want them to move Cirelli in a bad deal and be looking at them in the rear view next year.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Exactly, my thoughts as well. Cirelli + Dowd in addition to Tage and Cozens would be a center spine to really get excited about.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Moving one or two of these young guys caught in the log jam should be a much higher priority than moving 11OV, IMO. It'll mean Adam has to part with one or more of his guys though...
It takes two to tango.

If other GMs don't place a lot of value in prospects the Sabres have drafted and developed and would rather have a draft pick...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad