The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not on that contract.

Therr are s a reason KA traded Mitts...due to salary structure for a 3C spot st $6M+

Look at the roster
Cap $87.7

8F $34.6
5D $31M

Say $5M for 2G

8/5/2 with $17M

Johnson 3LD and Sign 7D fot combined $2M
8/7/2 with $15M left

2F on ELC
2F combined $5M
12/7/2 with 8M left.
Krebs fot $1.5M
Yes they can afford Cirelli and br against the cap

but what happens next summer when kids are due and greenway can walk. Also byram is due another contract. If the cap increases by $4M you still wont have the space to resign them all.

If they were going to acquire s vet making $5M+ they srent moving 11OA. They likely trade Joker, Krebs. And Peterka who would be due in 2025. I see Quinn is the better of the two. The younger wingers can replace him. Peterka raise in salary for a center.
Well, things may have changed since Casey was traded in terms of timelines, and roster/salary construction and expectations for Kevyn. That's not even factoring that a. that Casey's potential cap hit factored into moving on from him b. that maybe Casey had a higher ask than what Cirelli is at.

Whether or not Kevyn structured his forward and defense roster a certain way, the cap would be impacting the future players' salaries anyway, regardless of how he structured the weight of the contracts (defense vs offense). If Kevyn can't maneuver his own cap situation that HE created, that's on him to figure out, not the everyday arm chair GMs.

Cirelli would immediately replace the role Krebs would be hoped to fill without dealing with the bumps along the way, while giving Ruff a vet to use for matchups. Cirelli provides a nice security blanket for the unknown developments of some of our prospects or young NHL players still developing (see Cozens).

Reactions: Fjordy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's actually my favorite fit given the contract, but the have to get him to waive, and including to someone previously speaking on it somewhere (here? twitter?), apparently its thought that he won't leave Vegas on grounds of family.
Who can influence him more: Eichel or Tuch?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It takes two to tango.

If other GMs don't place a lot of value in prospects the Sabres have drafted and developed and would rather have a draft pick...
Sure. I was more referring to everyone throwing 11 into proposals like it's our version of Halak/Ryder though. And also Adams' well documented refusal to move his prospects for Chychrun. I hope Adams has changed his stance a little since then.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wild Bill Karlsson might be a damned good fit here too....if we could convince him to waive his NTC.
Same idea with Pageau, who should be far cheaper to acquire if he'd waive to come here.

Beyond that though -- I ain't seeing much at all.

@sabremike Watches a lot more Islanders than any of us and I believe he said Pageau was shot. Karlsson yes.. Pageau no

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Cirelli is not worth the 11th OA .. not about winning trades.. its just flat out bad asset management all around. You can live with an overpayment you can't live with something wildly not in the realm of reality.
Why not and what is the problem? Who can you buy for 11st or a similar price? The guy consistently scores 45-50 points (I know he's never hit 50, but he had a 44 point season in 66 games), he's good defensively, on the PK, he can win faceoffs, he has cups and experience, he is in the prime of his life, he is 26 years old. I think he can easily play the role of 2C if the team needs it and take on a larger load. I think he would have been like a ROR for us, although it didn’t work out for him in Buffalo, but there were reasons for that and there was another team then.

OK, maybe it won't be Cirelli, but it will be someone like that, because I think if Kevyn doesn't find a player like that in the offseason, then we could have serious problems in the season, given our centers, their instability and their defensive play.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd have no problem doing that deal.

This team needs guys like Cirelli on the roster more than they need to "win a trade."

We don’t need to “win” every trade, but we should probably try to avoid losing by landslide. There’s no way Cirelli has anywhere near that kind of value. Tampa gambled on his continued development when they signed him to his current contract, but that didn’t happen. He’s paid too much for what he is, and that’s going to seriously limit the number of teams that might be interested in him.

Reactions: Dingo44

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Cirelli is not worth the 11th OA .. not about winning trades.. its just flat out bad asset management all around. You can live with an overpayment you can't live with something wildly not in the realm of reality.
I think it depends on the perspective of how you view the draft pick/draft and how you view the player, and where you are as a team in terms of building/development.

Is a ready top 6 player that is developed worth a 11OA pick to a team that is trying to build up the prospect system in a rebuild? Maybe not, depending on the strength of the draft. Maybe it is for a team that is trying to get themselves in a playoff spot that is trying to be competitive that is valuing ready/developed players.

I think Cirelli is worth the 11OA pick, but I could concede/understand that others may view the pick with more value, but even with that said, I don't think the gap in value of player vs pick is really that wide, especially "outside the realm of reality". I think the draft is okay in terms of depth, but I don't see that depth as that strong. Quite honestly, I think where we are picking, is where I think the fans would want someone that can be as good as Cirelli (see top 6 player) to come from.

I think Buffalo has enough prospects to be able to use an asset like the 11OA pick on a ready NHL player even if it's a slight overpayment. Of course, in a perfect world Buffalo could try and acquire him without needing to use it. I just don't think the Sabres have a young player/prospect developed enough that would be the primary piece for Tampa trade for.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We don’t need to “win” every trade, but we should probably try to avoid losing by landslide. There’s no way Cirelli has anywhere near that kind of value. Tampa gambled on his continued development when they signed him to his current contract, but that didn’t happen. He’s paid too much for what he is, and that’s going to seriously limit the number of teams that might be interested in him.
If Cirelli does not have that kind of trade value and Adams could acquire him for less, great!

I would not flinch at giving up 11OV, one prospect, and a future 2nd in a deal.

They have more prospects than roster spots for them in the short and medium term. So, I will not bemoan a deal that adds a solid veteran with winning experience to the room.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Cirelli does not have that kind of trade value and Adams could acquire him for less, great!

I would not flinch at giving up 11OV, one prospect, and a future 2nd in a deal.

They have more prospects than roster spots for them in the short and medium term. So, I will not bemoan a deal that adds a solid veteran with winning experience to the room.
Nothing to add, JB is right. Rare time where there's nothing to debate.

Reactions: Zman5778

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why not and what is the problem? Who can you buy for 11st or a similar price? The guy consistently scores 45-50 points (I know he's never hit 50, but he had a 44 point season in 66 games), he's good defensively, on the PK, he can win faceoffs, he has cups and experience, he is in the prime of his life, he is 26 years old. I think he can easily play the role of 2C if the team needs it and take on a larger load. I think he would have been like a ROR for us, although it didn’t work out for him in Buffalo, but there were reasons for that and there was another team then.

OK, maybe it won't be Cirelli, but it will be someone like that, because I think if Kevyn doesn't find a player like that in the offseason, then we could have serious problems in the season, given our centers, their instability and their defensive play.

I wouldn't mind Cirelli... huge upgrade on Krebs. He just isn't a worth a top 10 pick .. You use that on a bigger fish. Or you better be getting something back with Cirelli for that 11th ... 11th Ostlund or whatever Chad proposed is just flat out dumb.

Reactions: Dingo44

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I wouldn't mind Cirelli... huge upgrade on Krebs. He just isn't a worth a top 10 pick .. You use that on a bigger fish. Or you better be getting something back with Cirelli for that 11th ... 11th Ostlund or whatever Chad proposed is just flat out dumb.
Didn't you already post the same exact statement?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have a feeling that you are overvaluing the 11th pick in this draft.

I would love to know what bigger fish you think is worth the 11th pick by itself.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We don't have a top 10 pick, then I didn't suggest trading 11 + Ostlund for Cirelli, but I wouldn't mind trading 11 for Cirelli because we won't get Celebrini or even Demidov there with that 11. Maybe we evaluate Cirelli differently, but I think a player like Cirelli will be more useful overall than, for example, a player like Ehlers for Buffalo.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I have a feeling that you are overvaluing the 11th pick in this draft.

I would love to know what bigger fish you think is worth the 11th pick by itself.
Hard to say by itself. It would most likely be a prospect/RFA type player with big upside.

Ideally you are using it coupled with a prospect and young roster player for a legit top 6 player who isn’t on a bad contract.

We don't have a top 10 pick, then I didn't suggest trading 11 + Ostlund for Cirelli, but I wouldn't mind trading 11 for Cirelli because we won't get Celebrini or even Demidov there with that 11. Maybe we evaluate Cirelli differently, but I think a player like Cirelli will be more useful overall than, for example, a player like Ehlers for Buffalo.
I agree.. Cirelli > Ehlers.

I didn't mean to suggest you offered 11 and Ostlund .. I was speaking about the proposed deal from the article from Expected Buffalo.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Didn't you already post the same exact statement?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hard to say by itself. It would most likely be a prospect/RFA type player with big upside.

Ideally you are using it coupled with a prospect and young roster player for a legit top 6 player who isn’t on a bad contract.
Prospects/RFAs with big upside almost never get traded for a pick.

And as for the second, I am all ears. But, I doubt you get a legit top 6 player that isn't paid as much as Cirelli, or more, being available for that package. Especially if you are looking to add a center to this roster.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad