The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Stamkos would be a decent addition as long as it's a short-term deal. Two years MAX. He can plug in on the wing of one of the top-6 lines. I'd still want a top-9 center, though.
Why would he play wing. He can play center, push down Thompson to more favorable matchups, or even if you give Stamkos more favorable matchups, and push Cozens to 3C position.

Reactions: Dingo44

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Oh he’s good. But why are we going down this road again? He doesn’t want us.
For sure, I get that it's a slim chance.

I'm just not going to play the doomers' game. We have short-term cap. We're a highly skilled team with a HOF coach, located two hours from his birthplace. We have a maturing young core. We're not picking in the top 5 anymore. It's the most attractive we've been in years.

So shoot the shot, however long it is. Unlike some have suggested, it doesn't at all preclude us from simultaneously working on deals for lesser FAs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The issue there though -- who plays the left trigger on PP1? And does the other person drop to the left trigger on PP2 or take up residence somewhere else on PP1?
Move Thompson to the bumper position where he has less of an angle to shoot from and more of the net to shoot on, move Stamkos to the Left trigger.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I think the Sabres should do a main uniform change, too much losing has been done in the Royal Blues, OG logo. Players always love the goat head and the jerseys represent the most successful decade for the Sabres. I know old school fans don't like the black and red goat head but if they brought the Winter Classic blue and gold goat head jerseys as the main uniform change (no white pants) we can usher a new era of the Sabres in.

The goathead represents the most successful decade for the Sabres?

Since when?

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Stamkos is using that well proven playbook move of using Buffalo to force other teams to ante up a better contract.

Don't do it KA. Just say no to being used. Again.
This. You don't spend 13 years looking like the worst franchise in professional sports, have Tavares and Babcock string you along to get better offers only to think it'll be different this time.

The only way Buffalo gets better is with an off the radar, darkhorse/change of scenery guy.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
For sure, I get that it's a slim chance.

I'm just not going to play the doomers' game. We have short-term cap. We're a highly skilled team with a HOF coach, located two hours from his birthplace. We have a maturing young core. We're not picking in the top 5 anymore. It's the most attractive we've been in years.

So shoot the shot, however long it is. Unlike some have suggested, it doesn't at all preclude us from simultaneously working on deals for lesser FAs.
I would argue the team was more attractive last year. We increased our point total, we only missed by 1 point. Vibes were high. I really think our performance over this last year has hurt us reputation wise. Instead of a young team on the rise its "oh there Buffalo goes, failing to take the next step again"

Reactions: sabremike

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

Marchessault, I think, would look at Buffalo as a undesired location, and probably would look at a team like Detroit or any other team as a more attractive destination. I'm sure Jack would be a source he would ask questions to.

Toffoli, not sure what his feelings about Lindy are. So can't speak on any, if at all any barriers might come up in that situation.

I would look at both to try and acquire, because I can see them having a role on the team, and quite honestly, even going after Stamkos wouldn't stop me from going after them AS WELL.
Stamkos is just the biggest fish of the bunch, which is why it seems so hard to get, especially with Adams whining about no one going to Buffalo.

They should be kicking the tires on every UFA that could fit us. Stamkos, Marchessault, Toffoli, DeBrusk, Bertuzzi, Teravainen, etc.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The first decade of this franchise they achieved FIVE 100 seasons. They have achieved 4 since.

Sorry if you don’t like being shown you’re wrong.
That's your success of measuring? Considering they only missed the playoffs once in the 90's

Sorry if you don't like being shown you're wrong.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I would argue the team was more attractive last year. We increased our point total, we only missed by 1 point. Vibes were high. I really think our performance over this last year has hurt us reputation wise. Instead of a young team on the rise its "oh there Buffalo goes, failing to take the next step again"
that was the subject of baker and sleepy fairburn yesterday. Adams made this off season more difficult not by not making moves last off season when the Sabres were the up and coming darlings.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
We disagree, which is fine. I think that's almost exclusively a fan opinion based in trauma.

Shit happens, teams underperform year to year. We took a 7 point step back in a year with injuries, a bad PP, and worse coaching.

We're still a loaded young franchise, whose core got a serious reality check in the last calendar year as far as what professionalism means, with a much improved coach.

I think we're about the same reputation-wise as last year, probably a bit better due to Ruff.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We disagree, which is fine. I think that's almost exclusively a fan opinion based in trauma.

Shit happens, teams underperform year to year. We took a 7 point step back in a year with injuries, a bad PP, and worse coaching.

We're still a loaded young franchise, whose core got a serious reality check in the last calendar year as far as what professionalism means, with a much improved coach.

I think we're about the same reputation-wise as last year, probably a bit better due to Ruff.
Why the hell does Adams say in advance that no one wants to play for Buffalo? :huh:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Adams like, acquires a good player or two before free agency, that could help attract a free agent...
I agree, it will show that he is serious about making the playoffs. Also, maybe the one he acquires has friendly ties with some UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00