The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Depends on what he is looking for at this point in his career.
True. He has a cup. Perhaps being close to home and getting a good pay check could convince him to play here. I doubt it, but atleast we have the location of being close to home as a reason to sign here.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes. This obsession with adding "x" instead of looking for pieces, including depth, to make the roster better is silly.

Small pieces add up over an 82-game season where injuries mount.

For starters, we should have a backup goalie. Leave Levi in Rochester with an eye on an idea he is ready when needed. So many other teams go this route but Buffalo is going with two young goalies. A decent backup on a one-year deal is maybe $2 M.

On D. The obsession is top 6. No team makes it with just six guys. It literally never happens. You usually have two guys down at some point in the year. We should have 7 NHL D men, with Ryan Johnson, an 8th guy in Rochester.

The forward depth can be improved over the summer with a $3 M contract for someone here or there. Pay an extra 10% to 20% over the going rate. Who cares if it's a one-year deal? The battle is to make the playoffs and make this a credible franchise.

The Sabres do not need a home run. A bunch of singles will do. Adding depth will help a ton. And then it is up to Ruff (and I wish we had some veteran assistant coaches but oh well.)

That said, GMKA can only spend whatever his budget is and only he knows that.
How did the depth D adds of Clifton and EJ work out last year?

Adding depth guys alone isn't enough to get this team where we want it to go.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well if Stamkos' house is near Buffalo, maybe there is a chance, I didn't know about it. Although I won't believe it until I see it.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
What year is it?
Screenshot_20240628_130904_The Athletic.jpg

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Buy out skinner, sign stamkos to a two year 10 mil per contract

Would he be over paid, yeah but the key is the credibility he would instantly bring to the organization also opens up bottom six guys to want to come here

Also would be a very trade able contract with retention if the team isn't winning and he would like to move on

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Buy out skinner, sign stamkos to a two year 10 mil per contract

Would he be over paid, yeah but the key is the credibility he would instantly bring to the organization also opens up bottom six guys to want to come here

Also would be a very trade able contract with retention if the team isn't winning and he would like to move on
Winning is the key to credibility and not overpaying UFAs.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Fjordy

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd be all about Stamkos.

But, here is the problem.

The likelyhood of success is small. And if we do succeed, it'll be because we overpaid, drastically. The most likely scenario, which we've seen before, is Stamkos just uses our offer to leverage more money out of somewhere he actually wants to go.

To pursue him is to set aside the resources in case we get him.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to wait for us to see if we get Stamkos or not.

We can't swing for the fences and miss.

Swing for contact, go for volume, go for fit over fireworks. We don't need the headlines, we need to build a team that can win games. And to do that is to go out and make the mid tier UFAs feel wanted and needed here while everyone else goes for the big fish.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
There will be a lot of teams interested in Stamkos, and Buffalo will likely be at the bottom of the list, but other teams could pay him as well. He'll probably be the hottest fish on the market, especially if Guentzel is in Canes and Sam stays in Florida.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Stamkos would be a decent addition as long as it's a short-term deal. Two years MAX. He can plug in on the wing of one of the top-6 lines. I'd still want a top-9 center, though.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Stamkos is using that well proven playbook move of using Buffalo to force other teams to ante up a better contract.

Don't do it KA. Just say no to being used. Again.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Stamkos would be a decent addition as long as it's a short-term deal. Two years MAX. He can plug in on the wing of one of the top-6 lines. I'd still want a top-9 center, though.
The issue there though -- who plays the left trigger on PP1? And does the other person drop to the left trigger on PP2 or take up residence somewhere else on PP1?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Other teams could offer him money too. Nashville, LA, Detroit. I'd be shocked if Stamkos signed in Buffalo.
I would too, but he's one of the few expensive UFAs out there that I would like to pursue that I feel would be worth it, especially on a short term deal. He checks a lot of boxes I feel the team needs, and he would be a necessary vet to bring in the room, not just for the players, but for Lindy as well.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would too, but he's one of the few expensive UFAs out there that I would like to pursue that I feel would be worth it, especially on a short term deal. He checks a lot of boxes I feel the team needs, and he would be a necessary vet to bring in the room, not just for the players, but for Lindy as well.
Yes, but he will be difficult to get. Maybe Marchessault or Toffoli.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yes, but he will be difficult to get. Maybe Marchessault or Toffoli.
I agree. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

Marchessault, I think, would look at Buffalo as a undesired location, and probably would look at a team like Detroit or any other team as a more attractive destination. I'm sure Jack would be a source he would ask questions to.

Toffoli, not sure what his feelings about Lindy are. So can't speak on any, if at all any barriers might come up in that situation.

I would look at both to try and acquire, because I can see them having a role on the team, and quite honestly, even going after Stamkos wouldn't stop me from going after them AS WELL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00