The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1719327181172.png

would be nice to find a deal like this

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I expect Adams to sign one of these goalies.

Wedgwood
Driedger
Jones
DeSmith
Pickard
I imagine that most, if not all, of these guys will sign somewhere to be the NHL #2 goalie. It appears as if KA is steadfast in going with UPL and Levi next year in the NHL. I can't imagine that any of these guys would be interested in being the opening-night starter in Rochester.

Somebody like Subban (as Chain mentioned) or Jiri Patera or Ivan Prosvetov makes a lot more sense -- guys that have some NHL experience, but know their place in the pecking order.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I imagine that most, if not all, of these guys will sign somewhere to be the NHL #2 goalie. It appears as if KA is steadfast in going with UPL and Levi next year in the NHL. I can't imagine that any of these guys would be interested in being the opening-night starter in Rochester.

Somebody like Subban (as Chain mentioned) or Jiri Patera or Ivan Prosvetov makes a lot more sense -- guys that have some NHL experience, but know their place in the pecking order.
I thought they were more of a goalie like number three. Not sure what teams would give them backup position?

View attachment 886984
would be nice to find a deal like this
This trade Buch?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Crossing DeMelo off the list

Roy or Tanev in UFA

Marino, Larsson and Jensen in trade?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They leveraged teams looking to move good players and made trades. Reinhart and Bennett, hell, they dealt the leading LW scorer for two years in the whole NHL AND a good RD for Tkachuk. It isn't really this tax-free thing, it's that they have management that gets it done.
I'm only talking about paying a ton of assets for a guy with one year. And allowing Reinhart to go to UFA. Those are things Buffalo shouldn't really be doing at this stage, but a team like Florida might have the luxury to do. But even Florida doesn't make it a habit.

However, there are a million other things we can copy from Florida -- namely, acquiring players who are undervalued in the market. They don't win the cup if they aren't doing that.

If Adams can only acquire players after they hit their peak because he isn't able to project anyone's development, or he can't tell if a player is being underused or underutilized or undervalued, that's a problem.

So I agree with Jimbob that getting guys with one year left who probably won't re-sign without giving them shitty contracts is a dumb way to proceed for this team. You need to find value in the market, and I think there is plenty out there to allow Buffalo to make the playoffs next year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They leveraged teams looking to move good players and made trades. Reinhart and Bennett, hell, they dealt the leading LW scorer for two years in the whole NHL AND a good RD for Tkachuk. It isn't really this tax-free thing, it's that they have management that gets it done.
The Calgary-Florida deal is a great example of trading for the younger player vs guys who are one year away from UFA and require big money, long term extensions to retain.

Stay away from one side of that trade and try and get on the other side of it.

:dunno:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The Calgary-Florida deal is a great example of trading for the younger player vs guys who are one year away from UFA and require big money, long term extensions to retain.

Stay away from one side of that trade and try and get on the other side of it.

That kind of trade is exceedingly rare. Furthermore, Calgary’s options were limited to whom Tkachuk would re-sign with, and I can’t imagine which young players around the league, if any actually became available, would want to extend long term here.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
UFA still has Walker and Carrier, I'm not sure they are suitable for what we are looking for.

Maybe some unnoticed RD in the trade?

How is Borgen doing?

TVR always seemed to have good metrics and he played almost as much as Jensen.

Whitecloud maybe.

Yep, don't remember why the hell he was so cheap to acquire
I remember he was RFA at the time and needed a new contract. It was stupid of Rangers.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I dont think anyone is narrowing it down that much.
Sure feels like it. Like for some people if you say you want Buch they say no because he only has a year left. If you talk resigning him then they don't want him because he is 31 already. Well sorry, but this is the kind of thing you are going to have to deal with and that every good team deals with. Great players with experience and good contracts generally don't get traded.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That kind of trade is exceedingly rare. Furthermore, Calgary’s options were limited to whom Tkachuk would re-sign with, and I can’t imagine which young players around the league, if any actually became available, would want to extend long term here.
Calgary's miscalculation was with giving those extensions to Weegar and especially Huberdeau out of desperation because Gaudreau left via UFA and then Tkachuk wanted out.

If you look throughout recent NHL history, long term, big money contracts to players of that age tend to be regrettable in the long run. Skinner's current deal is an example of that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sure feels like it. Like for some people if you say you want Buch they say no because he only has a year left. If you talk resigning him then they don't want him because he is 31 already. Well sorry, but this is the kind of thing you are going to have to deal with and that every good team deals with. Great players with experience and good contracts generally don't get traded.
Why is saying that PKane on a 2 year UFA deal is preferable to trading premium assets for one year of Buch so problematic?

Why is saying that premium trade assets should be used on players with term like Marino, Cirelli, Roy, W Karlsson, etc so problematic?

Trading premium assets for pending UFAs is not the only path to take in attempts to improve this roster.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Why is saying that PKane on a 2 year UFA deal is preferable to trading premium assets for one year of Buch so problematic?

Why is saying that premium trade assets should be used on players with term like Marino, Cirelli, Roy, W Karlsson, etc so problematic?

Trading premium assets for pending UFAs is not the only path to take in attempts to improve this roster.
What do you mean by premium assets?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I never said any of that but sure.

If you can get a good player at the right age with term then do it. I never said otherwise. I said it's unlikely we are able to.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What do you mean by premium assets?
11OV and prospects like Rosen, Kulich, Savoie, and Ostlund.

I never said any of that but sure.
You seemed to be saying that not wanting to trade premium assets for one year of Buch or Ehlers is not wanting to make the roster better. Or that not wanting to give guys in their late 20s to early 30s big money, long term extensions is not wanting to make the roster better.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That is, 2025 first is not considered a premium asset? I am also not sure that Kulich, Savoie, Rosen and Ostlund don't have the same cost.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

You seemed to be saying that not wanting to trade premium assets for one year of Buch or Ehlers is not wanting to make the roster better.

No I said it is really hard to get players at the right age with the right term and the right quality. If you can get them then do so, but we likely won't be able to in my opinion. You are dealing with ntcs, FAs who won't want to come here and for the players like the ones you listed? You are competing with 30 other teams for them.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Calgary's miscalculation was with giving those extensions to Weegar and especially Huberdeau out of desperation because Gaudreau left via UFA and then Tkachuk wanted out.

If you look throughout recent NHL history, long term, big money contracts to players of that age tend to be regrettable in the long run. Skinner's current deal is an example of that.
Ivr said thus for a ehile.

You give these 27-30 yr old 6+ yr contracts these as re likely tu o be bad at the end.

On Skinner I did not like the length. The amount I understood. I would have preferred a max of 5 yrs

I der sabres waiting till next sumner on Skinner.

1. His last 2 yrs are below cap so trading him even retained are empty calories in the cap. Some teams would prefer that

2. Biy out is s little easier and gives more space thr next 2 yrs to use

Remrmber-- sabres should have a second buy out window this summer due to arbitration cases. That could incentive Skinner to expand trade options if he wants to find work next yr. A late yr buyout can hurt him and hes stuck with 1 yr $1M contract somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad