OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Whats a Running Back? Does it make the Steel Steeler?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's still hilarious to me that the Browns traded a fortune for Watson and gave him a blank check only for him to end up this mediocre. He's not even a good QB at this point, I'd struggle to even call him above average.

Reactions: TNT87 and Dirty Dog

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
What sucks is they just don’t fire coordinators mid season… if there was ever a time to break that mold, it’s now. Even though they’d run the same plays. They just need someone else calling them and slowly implementing their own.
I am sure whoever came in right now in house would not run so many jet sweeps and whatever the hell that 3rd and 1 play was.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm still wondering where Najee came from for those 2 runs in the 2nd half. Maybe if he ran like that all of the time, he wouldn't be splitting carries with Warren.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I am sure whoever came in right now in house would not run so many jet sweeps and whatever the hell that 3rd and 1 play was.
That’s my point. Same playbook but someone else calling plays…that wouldn’t make the stupid f***ing calls he does. I’m sure there’s good plays in there, just not in whatever order/scenario Canada tries to call them.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The OC, the QB and the OL.

Canada is an atrocity, would be hired by no other NFL team and maybe 15% of college teams given his resume. He is there because he coached Tomlin's son (gave him a scholly?), the Rooneys are obsessed with Pitt guys and Tomlin likes to surround himself with dummies to make himself look smart. Full stop. His resume was trash and totally unfit to be an NFL OC. This was clear to anyone when the hire was made.

Kenny has regressed, accuracy is regularly bad (it got better somewhat tonight) and the decision-making is painful. He is under siege however.

The OL. Omar Khan, where you at? The interior of this line was all bought at a pretty big price tag by you and we invested a first round pick who is WORSE than the performance that Chuks and Dan Moore put forward tonight. Think about that. Jones is worse than Dan Moore and Dan Moore was beaten by Garrett worse than Rudolph was.

Fire Canada tomorrow and then see what you have with Kenny. Hope the OL gets better.
And yeah, Jaylen Warren >>>>> Najee but anyone who has watched the past year could tell you that. It's immaterial compared to the aforementioned issues.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
It's like the Browns knew exactly what was going to be called on almost every play. Canada never sets anything up and if he does set something up he fails to use it to his advantage. It's really getting old and the defense should not have to carry this team every week.

He does have a few plays that are creative and work well when properly executed.

On the Pickens TD the fake handoff and push by the line totally caught the linebackers/coverage to the right peering into the backfield, froze them all for a good second or two, and the underneath drag to the left pulled the rest of the backers to the left. That's why Pickens was so wide open over the middle.

Then the dump off to Warren out of the trips formation to the left that went for 30 or whatever was a great design as well.

Too bad they're so few and far between. Those kinds of plays are routine in just about every other playbook.

Reactions: Andy99

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
The browns practically lived in the steeler backfield tonight. And the times they were there Kp didnt always make the best choices.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The browns practically lived in the steeler backfield tonight. And the times they were there Kp didnt always make the best choices.

Pickett keeps on trying to spin and roll left. The problem is he does not have the arm strength to actually throw that way. He looks atrocious going to his left.
He needs to be running right or trying to step up in the pocket.

I realize this is easier said than done. The OL has been a huge disappointment. Semuelo-Cole-Daniels were supposed to be solid at least but they are even getting blown up.

It's the coordinator, OL and QB. Just like the issues have been for 4 years now.
I ripped on Kenny because it's the biggest problem if he's bad. We're kinda screwed for years if he is. But the OL and Canada were probably worse tonight. Warren, Austin and Pickens were the only bright spots.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
The worst part about this is we have been watching the worst imaginable football since Canada was hired. We will still be watching it until he's gone. Regardless of what we do this season. The brand of football is mind numbing.

Reactions: Pengwins

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t think just the offense is worrisome.

Khan’s biggest misses this off-season were on D. Not keeping Sutton and replacing him with PP is looking bad. New ILBs do not look that good. DL wasn’t strengthened enough and it’s showing at point of attack in run game (giving up 200 yards/game right now). Secondary is gonna be a serious issue against non Deshaun Watson quarterbacked teams. They can’t just rely on pash rush and splash plays bailing them out.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don’t think just the offense is worrisome.

Khan’s biggest misses this off-season were on D. Not keeping Sutton and replacing him with PP is looking bad. New ILBs do not look that good. DL wasn’t strengthened enough and it’s showing at point of attack in run game (giving up 200 yards/game right now). Secondary is gonna be a serious issue against non Deshaun Watson quarterbacked teams. They can’t just rely on pash rush and splash plays bailing them out.

Sutton for Pat Pete looks bad but I don't share your concerns about the Run D after that game. The Browns were always going to make some hay in the running game. Yes the 70 yarder sucked but the Run D did fine otherwise.

For that matter, why is Wallace of all people matched up against #1s. A $3M corner.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Btw, what happened with Najee on those 2 big runs in the 4th is he made people miss at the line.

Warren is more agile, so he makes people miss at the line more often, so he is more productive.

Teams know if they are passing or running. The line blows assignments routinely. A competent OC could at least make Warren and Najee into a respectable tandem.

And jeez, do they desperately need to get the run going to open up the passing game. Pickens being a freak of nature is 95% of their passing offense.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Defense looked more like itself tonight. Not a perfect unit but the edge group is capable of terrorizing a lot of teams.

Hard to be optimistic about the offense going forward when the coordinator sucks and KP looks this awful. Canada needs to go. Continuity means nothing when the results are this bad. You have nothing to lose by making a change at this point.

I guess you could hold out hope for KP. It's hard to but the first two opponents have extremely good defenses, we haven't been able to run the ball to make it easier on KP and settle him down when he's struggling. Maybe a new coordinator could help him. We have to try that first before making any QB change but KP's decision making and missed throws to wide open WR's are very concerning though.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad