OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Whats a Running Back? Does it make the Steel Steeler?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I do think Peterson and Wallace give us a good enough outside corner pairing where JPJ doesn’t have to step in right away.

But yeah I would agree that for the secondary (in particular the Cb room) to go from fine to a potential strength, JPJ will need to be effective.
My concern:
-Peterson is too slow at this point to rely on him covering a guy like Chase.
-Wallace is a bleh #2. Fine but not great

If JPJ can handle the top mathcups it frees Peterson to be a potential game changing slot corner. That to me is absolutely best case scenario.

Even more dreamy scenario is if Trice can come back healthy and take the #2 role and create a fearsome lock down tandem. As unlikely as it is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My concern:

If JPJ can handle the top mathcups it frees Peterson to be a potential game changing slot corner. That to me is absolutely best case scenario.

Even more dreamy scenario is if Trice can come back healthy and take the #2 role and create a fearsome lock down tandem. As unlikely as it is.

I wouldn't be utterly surprised to learn that Peterson isn't all that much slower than Porter at this point, and might have better change of direction. Those aren't Porter's strengths. I'm not sure I'd want Porter covering Chase any more than Peterson. I guess after multiple reps Peterson would slow down quicker at his age.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Unless Porter is a generational talent, he's probably not getting #1 duty. As it is, I expect him to struggle and hurt the defense with more than a few PI calls

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
My concern:

I’d be pretty happy if Porter could come in and cover a guy like Higgins. No one on the team last year could handle him. If you could leave him one on one with Higgins, you could pay a lot more attention to someone like Chase. I guess if Porter does end up on Chase, the hope is that he can press him and disrupt timing.

Tbh I don’t know if there are many CBs in the league that can cover Chase. He’s a freak.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Going up against Pickens every day in practice is about as good as you can get to prep for Chase. So they do have that going for them

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They are basically telling everyone that Petterson is going to play some rover with Minka he is going to play some safety. He knows thats how he is going to to extend his career. Wallace is fast enough to be a m2m corner but they will play tons of exotic zone.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
From Adamski of the Trib:

Continuing a trend that’s been observed throughout camp, Pickett – anecdotally, to the naked eye – appears to have greater velocity on his throws this camp than last year.

KP claims he put in some work to improve his arm strength in the off-season, but I suspect being more confident in where he’s going with the ball has a lot to do with it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This team may be 9-8 this year, but at least this 9-8 is going to be because young football players are getting better and not an old team in decline. It will make the losses easier to deal with.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This team may be 9-8 this year, but at least this 9-8 is going to be because young football players are getting better and not an old team in decline. It will make the losses easier to deal with.
With this schedule anything less than 11 wins is a failure

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

We don’t really know if this is an easy schedule or not.

Last year if you saw the Dolphins or Eagles on your team’s schedule, you saw them as a middling team with questions at QB.

We have no clue if the Browns will be the Browns or if Watson will help them.

Packers could be good or a bottom feeder. All depends on Love.

Rams might bounce back.

Texans, Titans and Colts may be bottom feeders or their new QBs could suddenly make them a tough matchup.

I’m sure many fans saw the Steelers and KP on their schedule and thought it was an automatic W last summer.

Then there is the Tomlin factor of always losing to bottom feeders to account for as well.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I rarely say this, but whether this season is a success or failure has nothing to do with wins or losses (except in extreme cases like a 3 win season)

I'd rather see us win 8/9 games and miss the playoffs if it means KP is getting meaningful development opportunities. Versus us getting 11 wins and KP is being bubble wrapped.

KP needs to be tested to see what his limits are this season. I'm not saying all 60 minutes should be out of his comfort zone, but he should be tested a few times a game.

Reactions: Mr Jiggyfly

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
We don’t really know if this is an easy schedule or not.

Last year if you saw the Dolphins or Eagles on your team’s schedule, you saw them as a middling team with questions at QB.

We have no clue if the Browns will be the Browns or if Watson will help them.

Packers could be good or a bottom feeder. All depends on Love.

Rams might bounce back.

Texans, Titans and Colts may be bottom feeders or their new QBs could suddenly make them a tough matchup.

I’m sure many fans saw the Steelers and KP on their schedule and thought it was an automatic W last summer.

Then there is the Tomlin factor of always losing to bottom feeders to account for as well.
Last year I figured they would lose to philly they own us.
I figure we will go 3-3 in the division. The Rams defense is terrible
I love playing the 49ers week 1 cause just like against Buffalo and Cincinnati they will have a plan and shock the world week 1.
I am banking on Robinson and Muth Washington being mismanages in the redzone to help us score more tds

I rarely say this, but whether this season is a success or failure has nothing to do with wins or losses (except in extreme cases like a 3 win season)

I'd rather see us win 8/9 games and miss the playoffs if it means KP is getting meaningful development opportunities. Versus us getting 11 wins and KP is being bubble wrapped.

KP needs to be tested to see what his limits are this season. I'm not saying all 60 minutes should be out of his comfort zone, but he should be tested a few times a game.
I fully expect him to be tested I fully expect us to use tons of rpo play action and have him throw it. I don’t expect many 40 attempt games. We use use 2 te a ton.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I fully expect him to be tested I fully expect us to use tons of rpo play action and have him throw it. I don’t expect many 40 attempt games. We use use 2 te a ton.

I should have clarified: I don't want KP throwing the ball all over the place. That's not what I meant by "tested"
What I mean is going against tendency or asking KP to throw the ball where he typically doesn't.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Last year I figured they would lose to philly they own us.
I figure we will go 3-3 in the division. The Rams defense is terrible
I love playing the 49ers week 1 cause just like against Buffalo and Cincinnati they will have a plan and shock the world week 1.
I am banking on Robinson and Muth Washington being mismanages in the redzone to help us score more tds

Steelers are 3-3 agt Eagles since ‘04, so I wouldn’t say either owns the other.

I’m not going to argue you are right or wrong, but schedules are usually dynamic.

Sometimes good teams end up being bad and vice versa.

You also have to factor in a Tomlin Special.

Steelers are a young and upcoming team with what looks to be a favorable schedule, so I expect 10-11 wins like you.

However, the schedule dynamics, Tomlin doing Tomlin things, KP’s progress, injuries, etc are all variables we have to take into account.

Going 8-9 or 7-10 would definitely feel like a failure of a season if there aren’t any significant injuries.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
My concern:

A great pass rush offsets any secondary concerns.

Steelers are 3-3 agt Eagles since ‘04, so I wouldn’t say either owns the other.

I’m not going to argue you are right or wrong, but schedules are usually dynamic.

Sometimes good teams end up being bad and vice versa.

You also have to factor in a Tomlin Special.

Steelers are a young and upcoming team with what looks to be a favorable schedule, so I expect 10-11 wins like you.

However, the schedule dynamics, Tomlin doing Tomlin things, KP’s progress, injuries, etc are all variables we have to take into account.

Going 8-9 or 7-10 would definitely feel like a failure of a season if there aren’t any significant injuries.
Philly has always owned us in Philly, we have always owned them in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I guess they are serious about the Green to FB thing.
He's a pretty bad lineman. BUT he's an athletic big man that with a head of steam is proving to maul defensive players.

It's crazy enough to work honestly. He has no future here as a lineman but I'm highly intrigued by his blocking from a FB perspective.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Heard this on the fan this morning and have zero idea if its actually true but apparently Tomlin has the best winning percentage in weeks after the bye (not just the next game but all games post bye) in NFL history.

Not sure if it true or what it would mean (likely not much) but it is interesting.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You guys are over thinking the record expectations.

Anything less than 9-8 would be a failure....it would ruin Tomlin's streak!!1

• Haha

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a fan of very big men running very fast, I really hope Kendrick Green to FB works. It's going to be highlight reel after highlight reel if it works.

Can you imagine being a CB and seeing Green coming at full steam towards you? That's a moment to rethink your life choices.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As a fan of very big men running very fast, I really hope Kendrick Green to FB works. It's going to be highlight reel after highlight reel if it works.

Can you imagine being a CB and seeing Green coming at full steam towards you? That's a moment to rethink your life choices.
And/or Washington...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad