OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tbf, I don't think Adams is trying to hide that the guy has got under his skin. Not one bit. I don't even think he's trying to own the guy.

He's just signaling that he is willing to escalate and make it deeply personal and uncomfortable for the other guy if he won't shut up. Which, on the one hand, not cool. But on the other, I can get, because it doesn't sound like the journo was responding to anything less.

I get it, but being in the NFL is a public occupation. That is the nature of the job.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s amazing, by the way, the difference in perception a single game in a mediocre, playoff-free season can make. Mike Tomlin went 9-8 with a minus-38 point differential last season and got NFL Coach of the Year votes. Belichick went 8-9 with a plus-17 and got torn to pieces.

In the period of 2011-2023, the Steelers managed to make 1 AFCC game, no Super Bowls (these numbers could change depending on the outcome of this season, but I strongly doubt the Steelers make the AFCC game this year, let alone the Super Bowl). During that span, the Steelers' playoff appearances were mostly embarrassing and included getting Tebowed in 2011, getting Bortled in 2017, and getting Bakered in 2020 (with the Browns head coach home with COVID)

The historical playoff drought is well known, but the guy is 3-8 in his last 11 playoff games.

How the f*** is this being blown off and ignored so often by so many fans/media?

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The historical playoff drought is well known, but the guy is 3-8 in his last 11 playoff games.

How the f*** is this being blown off and ignored so often by so many fans/media?

When they lost to Tim Tebow, it was still too close to the two SB appearances for many people to really grasp how troubling it was - turns out it was a microcosm of what was to come/ where we've been since. The way the Jacksonville debacle was completely ignored was insane. But what it mostly boils down to is, for reasons, people have needed to wait until there was an abundance of negative statistics against Tomlin before they felt comfortable calling him out. That's just the state of things.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Joe Schoebert quote from something dude was reading saying there is no structure because there were so many veteran players and they were just expected to do x, y and z, be here and there, watch film, weight lift etc. without structure or governance relative to other organizations where coaches were making sure it happens and there to observe. Then he goes on to say that….. over the last 3 games 7 snaps where Steelers did not have 11 men on the field , 2 snaps with 12 men, and in Sunday’s AZ game specifically 2 illegal formation penalties.

Just a podcast from Jersey Jerry…whoever that is. Not familiar with him:

Starts about 5:45 in.

He’s a barstool guy. Pretty funny, not to be taken too seriously.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Joe Schoebert quote from something dude was reading saying there is no structure because there were so many veteran players and they were just expected to do x, y and z, be here and there, watch film, weight lift etc. without structure or governance relative to other organizations where coaches were making sure it happens and there to observe. Then he goes on to say that….. over the last 3 games 7 snaps where Steelers did not have 11 men on the field , 2 snaps with 12 men, and in Sunday’s AZ game specifically 2 illegal formation penalties.

Just a podcast from Jersey Jerry…whoever that is. Not familiar with him:

Starts about 5:45 in.

What DOES Tomlin do with his time. Come up with new clichés for the press conference? I'd really love to know.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
My only thing with Tomlin is that at the end of the day, coaches are still assets that can be traded. I would hope we’re able to get something for him instead of firing him and seeing him immediately sign somewhere else. That said, change is long overdue. You can only defend someone so long before you have to draw a line in the sand. Any long time Steelers fan could have predicted that AZ game would be a loss. That is exactly the type of game we lose because the Steelers always play down to their competition.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It's most troubling when a player comes out and admits they took an opponent lightly. This is the NFL. No opponent can be taken lightly. This isn't Alabama taking a breather week to play The Citadel.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyrod Taylor on the Steelers next year. He's a VA Tech guy who grew up in Hampton, VA (right next to Tomlin's home town of Newport News, VA). Tyrod's contract with the Giants is up at the end of the year and I doubt he re-signs with the Giants.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get it, but being in the NFL is a public occupation. That is the nature of the job.

We're all free to try and change the nature of our jobs. If he doesn't want a guy from the other side of the country still coming after him randomly, if he thinks that shouldn't be part of the nature, I've no particular argument.

And of the argument is that it's just always going to be public, don't try and change it, then I'm not sure Adams' behaviour is really that far beyond de facto fair game for a public spat. People will criticise it, but he can 100% get away with it because public people do this sort of crap all the time, so why shouldn't he?

Either way, I understand it. Don't like it, but understand it. And struggle to criticise him, because what has he done to hurt himself or that's significantly out of line with how life is lived?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We're all free to try and change the nature of our jobs. If he doesn't want a guy from the other side of the country still coming after him randomly, if he thinks that shouldn't be part of the nature, I've no particular argument.

And of the argument is that it's just always going to be public, don't try and change it, then I'm not sure Adams' behaviour is really that far beyond de facto fair game for a public spat. People will criticise it, but he can 100% get away with it because public people do this sort of crap all the time, so why shouldn't he?

Either way, I understand it. Don't like it, but understand it. And struggle to criticise him, because what has he done to hurt himself or that's significantly out of line with how life is lived?

True. He is free to do what he wants, but I'm free to call him a (blind, chauvinist?) clown for acting as though an attractive woman is hideous.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyrod Taylor on the Steelers next year. He's a VA Tech guy who grew up in Hampton, VA (right next to Tomlin's home town of Newport News, VA). Tyrod's contract with the Giants is up at the end of the year and I doubt he re-signs with the Giants.
Tryod not much better than MT

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tryod not much better than MT

I think MT being a 2OA works against him as a galvanizing leader. He is seen as a top pick who couldn't hack it vs. a guy trying his best and getting the most put of his abilities.

Just my perception. Even if I agree in a vacuum that MT is a fine (or better) backup QB.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was trying not to drink until I was off of work for the year (minus some holiday parties I have to attend), but I might have to run out and get at least a 6'er for this one.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I wonder if the majority of Steelers fans will ever see the light in regards to Tomlin. There is always some excuse whether it be coaches, idiot players who continue to do idiotic things, injuries..etc

Just from what I remember growing up, Cowher was a loved coach but the fans were never afraid to be critical. If he ever had a span of 7 years without winning a playoff game, he would have been hung from a bridge.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Steelers are going to lose tonight most likely…I just have a feeling that aggressive Trubisky is gonna throw some picks leading to scores by the Pats, and the Pats defense is much better than the Steelers so the offense won’t be able to overcome those picks

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Steelers are going to lose tonight most likely…I just have a feeling that aggressive Trubisky is gonna throw some picks leading to scores by the Pats, and the Pats defense is much better than the Steelers so the offense won’t be able to overcome those picks

It is gutcheck time for our extremely expensive, not stout but timely defense. I have very little patience for such a high priced unit when it doesn't perform. Their luck will run out.

Reactions: Andy99

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I actually believe that the Steelers win tonight. It is very Tomlin to win just enough to mask his being seen as an overrated fraud. This is one of those games.

That this is a debate screams volumes about how low the expectations bar has been set with this team.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I anticipate offenses operating much like the 2007 3-0 Dolphins game minus the torrential rain and wind.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
As excited about a Steelers game as I’ve been in a while because we don’t have to watch that bum Kenny Spigot.

Mitchburg, legggggo!!

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
A full game of Trushitsky is not how I wanted to spend my f***ing Thursday watching the Steelers, I'd rather take a Gonchar slapshot to the bollocks without a cup.

As excited about a Steelers game as I’ve been in a while because we don’t have to watch that bum Kenny Spigot.

Mitchburg, legggggo!!
Bitch Trushitsky has 1 fan, shocking.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I think they are slowly breaking “traditions” like firing the OC in season for the first time in a long time, trading 1st round pick, being active in free agency. I feel like Tomlin has too much power in the organization… I get that he’s always voted who players want to play for the most and can’t help but think sometimes maybe that is part of the problem with him. He would never go for a “promotion “ like this but he’d be a good front office guy to bring in and have talk to prospects or potential free agents.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think they are slowly breaking “traditions” like firing the OC in season for the first time in a long time, trading 1st round pick, being active in free agency. I feel like Tomlin has too much power in the organization… I get that he’s always voted who players want to play for the most and can’t help but think sometimes maybe that is part of the problem with him. He would never go for a “promotion “ like this but he’d be a good front office guy to bring in and have talk to prospects or potential free agents.
The way Tomlin is revered in the coaching community and analysts is something the Steelers care more about than the actual issues on the team. Sure Cowher had his warts with the players too, but I just think with the way the league is trending, I would rather a McDaniels than another Tomlin type, someone that will try things out of the box vs Mr Reliably Predictable - Mike Tomlin.

That's like Mike Sullivan being called a great coach because he keeps getting winning seasons, like who gives a f***? Are teams in it to just have a winning season or get to the big dance? Because the Steelers haven't been a threat for that for years and have squandered a lot of talent, enabled a lot of talented idiots as well. It's just enough, there's been even more issues this year with players calling out coaches, more than usual and I think the ownership and GM ignoring it because Tomlin is also getting his tires pumped hard about having winning seasons is just ridiculous.

Keeping Tomlin just to keep having those winning seasons shows what they care more about, just the record vs improvement.

I’m skipping this one. Not worth the headache. Maybe they win and I can watch 10 minute highlights later, haha.
I would as well but this is just like driving really slow past a car accident, I can't and need to see how this wreck goes down.

Watch the Patriots have their best game of the season, like the Cardinals did. The fact that the Cardinals were taken lightly and multiple players commented that their preparation was also that of taking them lightly vs just coming in and putting in the work to take advantage of a weaker opponent and preparing like it's the Ravens, is proof this team is coached by an idiot.

I hope the Pats destroy them just to make Mike look like an idiot again, hopefully no one gets hurt more in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad