OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Flores is a douchebag. I don’t know why anyone would side with him.
I normally wouldn't speak out on such matters but this guy claiming he'll try to ''grow'' from this is BS! If what Tua said is accurate this guy doesn't deserve to coach anyone. Holding players accountable is great! They should be. However, saying ''you don't belong'' or that ''you suck'' to your young star QB is just plain lunacy! Being firm is one thing. But disparaging them in the process of trying to motivate them is grounds for removal! Unless TT was a lazy obnoxious prick it doesn't seem like a smart tactic to get the best out of someone. This isn't the Marine corps, this is the NFL. Hope Flores fails miserably in MINNY if true. I'm not saying one should be coddled in a professional setting like that but that's just absurd! Positive reinforcement is a better tactic especially with a young, promising, talented QB who could potentially lead you to the playoffs and give you a punchers chance.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I normally wouldn't speak out on such matters but this guy claiming he'll try to ''grow'' from this is BS! If what Tua said is accurate this guy doesn't deserve to coach anyone. Holding players accountable is great! They should be. However, saying ''you don't belong'' or that ''you suck'' to your young star QB is just plain lunacy! Being firm is one thing. But disparaging them in the process of trying to motivate them is grounds for removal! Unless TT was a lazy obnoxious prick it doesn't seem like a smart tactic to get the best out of someone. This isn't the Marine corps, this is the NFL. Hope Flores fails miserably in MINNY if true. I'm not saying one should be coddled in a professional setting like that but that's just absurd! Positive reinforcement is a better tactic especially with a young, promising, talented QB who could potentially lead you to the playoffs and give you a punchers chance.
You're really getting worked up over a nothingburger.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There’s a long history of it. Not gonna waste my time discussing with you given your clear agenda.
He's acting like a scum bucket if true!

Who has Flores ever beat? If you're gonna act like that your resume should be 2hd to none and clearly it's not.

You're really getting worked up over a nothingburger.
I'm not worked up, I'm just offering my informed opinion, you're welcome.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
He's acting like a scum bucket if true!

Who has Flores ever beat? If you're gonna act like that your resume should be 2hd to none and clearly it's not.

It was documented that Tom Coughlin used to do some dumb stuff in his early coaching days in Jacksonville. When he went to NYG with the same approach it came to light and the team tuned him out and turned on him so he sought advice. Some time later after learning from his mistakes the team started to buy in and he ended up a better coach.

Lombardi before he went to GB was a Giants assistant, similarly the guys on the team didn't respond because Lombardi treated them like little kids. Again he sought advice and changed and was better for it and the team responded.

These are 2 examples off the top of my head.

There isn't anything stopping Flores from learning from his mistakes and follow a similar path.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He didn’t want to draft him he wanted herbert or Watson. College coaches literally hold scholarships to a year by year and are quick to replace players.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
There’s a long history of it. Not gonna waste my time discussing with you given your clear agenda.

Tua's comments were the first I've heard something like this. If there is such a "long history", it shouldn't be that difficult to convey.

But why bother explaining when you can just make assumptions about another person and their agenda?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Tua's comments were the first I've heard something like this. If there is such a "long history",

If he was a history buff then he should know Napolean's long history with the Ziggy Piggy

d8bf89a8-d6ab-4333-ab4f-3b73a88b419d_screenshot.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Aiyuk situation is bizarre to me, I still think it's most likely that he re-signs in SF but I wonder at what point the Steelers are like "we need a decision now".

Tua's comments were the first I've heard something like this. If there is such a "long history", it shouldn't be that difficult to convey.

But why bother explaining when you can just make assumptions about another person and their agenda?

The Tua comments were egregious enough that I'm inclined to believe Flores was a shitbag to more people than just Tua tbh.

Just a combination of all of these:

1. Flores accuses the Dolphins owners of offering $100k per loss after getting fired by them, with the NFL finding no evidence of that happening after.
2. Flores sues the NFL for racial discrimination for him not getting other head coaching jobs.
3. Tua comes out and talks about how Flores belittled him regularly when he was the Dolphins coach

It really paints Flores as a bad person in all of this. What's the phrase here, "if you think everyone around you is an asshole, you're the asshole"?

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There isn't anything stopping Flores from learning from his mistakes and follow a similar path.
My point is, he shouldn't have to ''learn'' from it because it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Again I'm all for holding players accountable and hate the diva mentality many players display. They most certainly shouldn't get away with that nonsense. But even a coach with a modicum of common sense should understand these tactics aren't gonna further your career or theirs.

Lombardi was a long, long time ago and things were much different then, Coughlin was a while ago himself. And both achieved heights this Flores bum never has. Being hard on your players is one thing, belittling them incessantly is quite another.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Reports from the 49ers are they are waiting on ownership approval to me this is about guaranteed money. Between Williams and purdy thats alot of money tied into escrow not to mention they have 2 FA cb and a lb needing paid next year. I think they let hugunga walk and trade Aiyuk

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Reports from the 49ers are they are waiting on ownership approval to me this is about guaranteed money. Between Williams and purdy thats alot of money tied into escrow not to mention they have 2 FA cb and a lb needing paid next year. I think they let hugunga walk and trade Aiyuk
9ers ownership should have had this matter resolved long before now. Looks like a mickey mouse organization. They should have known these numbers in march or at worse at the beginning of TC.

This is stupid at this point. Has been for months actually.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also the Flores discussion here is odd when you consider that the only reason the Steelers got Minkah in the first place was because he demanded a trade from Miami only 6 months after they hired Flores.

I was initially sympathetic towards Flores because it seemed extremely unjust when he was first fired from the Dolphins, but the more that comes out the more it seems that he was just a raging asshole who was entirely responsible for his firing and lack of opportunities since then.

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Aiyuk situation is bizarre to me, I still think it's most likely that he re-signs in SF but I wonder at what point the Steelers are like "we need a decision now".

Imo? Never. I mean, what do the Steelers lose for staying at the table? They're not in negotiations with other teams or guys, they're not looking at other ways of using the cap space. On top of that, their main negotiation tool has been just being there and waiting for other people's patience to erode. Forcing the process probably doesn't increase the chance of getting what they want.

I think if anyone here is "we need a decision now" it's the 49ers. They're the one who potentially gains a hole and needs to move if it's going to happen.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imo? Never. I mean, what do the Steelers lose for staying at the table? They're not in negotiations with other teams or guys, they're not looking at other ways of using the cap space. On top of that, their main negotiation tool has been just being there and waiting for other people's patience to erode. Forcing the process probably doesn't increase the chance of getting what they want.

I think if anyone here is "we need a decision now" it's the 49ers. They're the one who potentially gains a hole and needs to move if it's going to happen.

The Steelers WR group is looking problematic enough that I think they need to add another legitimate WR before the season starts. If it's not Aiyuk I think they need to add someone.

Van Jefferson seems like he's playing well right now but only Pickens and Van Jefferson isn't enough.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Steelers WR group is looking problematic enough that I think they need to add another legitimate WR before the season starts. If it's not Aiyuk I think they need to add someone.

Van Jefferson seems like he's playing well right now but only Pickens and Van Jefferson isn't enough.

I don't disagree but where's this add coming from? Guys will be available come cutdowns, but we're mostly talking Van Jefferson level WRs. If a clear WR2 is suddenly there for the offering then I get the uptick in urgency but right now, that's not happening.

Even then, you've got balance the possibility of getting a guy like Aiyuk for the next 4-5 years vs the impact of a guy this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't disagree but where's this add coming from? Guys will be available come cutdowns, but we're mostly talking Van Jefferson level WRs. If a clear WR2 is suddenly there for the offering then I get the uptick in urgency but right now, that's not happening.

Even then, you've got balance the possibility of getting a guy like Aiyuk for the next 4-5 years vs the impact of a guy this year.

I think you could probably dangle the return you're offering for Aiyuk and get another WR2 from somewhere. I think there are rumors that Davante Adams is available from the Raiders. Maybe you can make a run at Sutton again from the Broncos.

I think they need to make a trade for a WR2 or better as early as possible.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Also the Flores discussion here is odd when you consider that the only reason the Steelers got Minkah in the first place was because he demanded a trade from Miami only 6 months after they hired Flores.

I was initially sympathetic towards Flores because it seemed extremely unjust when he was first fired from the Dolphins, but the more that comes out the more it seems that he was just a raging asshole who was entirely responsible for his firing and lack of opportunities since then.

Your post above hits on a few things I had kind of forgotten about, including the Minkah trade. Thanks for reminding me.

But this is my overall point: why isn't it possible that after Flores got fired he got some humble pie and recognized his approach wasn't the best? He came out and said it in the recent interview re: Tua

There were periods of my life where I look back on and I want to do a major face palm- both as a manager and as a person. Why? Bc it's not who I am today, but I take ownership of the things I screwed up on. To me, that's what Flores appears to be doing. I'm certain he's got a ton of relationship mending to do, but he seems to be at least saying all the right things. He could have easily said "I'm not talking or responding to the Tua thing".

Related, I just got done watching this movie and the crux of the plot is pinball was once banned in NYC and in most of America bc they deemed it a "game of chance" vs a "game of skill". Well some of this story involves the NYC Gaming Commissioner thwarting this at every attempt. So the main character plays a game of pinball in front of the commission to prove this is indeed skill based.

Afterwards during the cutaway, they are interviewing the main character and he says "I wasn't mad at him {the Commissioner}. I actually commend him because he changed his main based on new information that was presented to him. He could have doubled-down on his stance for no reason"

That really resonated with me and I think we should all take a cue in our personal lives.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
9ers ownership should have had this matter resolved long before now. Looks like a mickey mouse organization. They should have known these numbers in march or at worse at the beginning of TC.

This is stupid at this point. Has been for months actually.
The number has changed for Aiyuk since March ik part because of hos they played this. In march they could have done a similar deal like waddle and smith they waited. They could have traded for Diggs and flipped Aiyuk elsewhere at the draft. Once DJ moore got paid Aiyuk called around and his agent asked for more he found 2 teams Cleveland and bew england to offer 30 million
Shanahan lost leverage because after drafting 2 wr he and lynch still wanted a wr back in trade showing Aiyuk he couldn’t win a championship without him. Dj moore only has 1 fully guaranteed year then option years but like waddle smith got a dummy year that he will never see to inflate the aav Aiyuk wants a guarantee in year 4
Once love and Lawerence got 55 million the numbers changed for Purdy

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you could probably dangle the return you're offering for Aiyuk and get another WR2 from somewhere. I think there are rumors that Davante Adams is available from the Raiders. Maybe you can make a run at Sutton again from the Broncos.

I think they need to make a trade for a WR2 or better as early as possible.

Maybe I'm over simplifying but I'm inclined to treat every rumour about a guy who may be available at this point of the off-season as bogus unless there's multiple reporters going "there are definite trade talks happening". It's a horrible time to trade an important player away and to the best of my knowledge, rarely happens in the NFL.

As such, I don't think those guys are actually available without a gross overpay, and the Aiyuk offer is if anything allegedly a slight underpay. I don't think any WR2 is. I think it's Aiyuk or nothing.

Besides, if you could really get Adams for a 2nd and 3rd, then why hasn't a three team deal been done already? That solves it. Both teams allegedly looked at it. Didn't happen. Not even murmurs that it could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad