OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't want to be petty but did you see how Kenny played tonight lol

It's legitimately incomprehensible how low Pickett's yards/attempt is in the pre-season so far. The dude is averaging 4.5 yards/attempt, it's literally just the "checkdown QB" meme. 67 passing yards while going 11/13 on passing attempts, how is that even possible?

I didn't get to watch the game, but comments on Reddit in the PGT are basically "Pickett does not deserve to be in the NFL". He seems like he's been way worse for the Eagles, at least based on what I saw in the first pre-season game and what I'm reading from the 2nd pre-season game.

Last edited:
Reactions: WickedWrister

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It's legitimately incomprehensible how low Pickett's yards/attempt is in the pre-season so far. The dude is averaging 4.5 yards/attempt, it's literally just the "checkdown QB" meme. 67 passing yards while going 11/13 on passing attempts, how is that even possible?

I didn't get to watch the game, but comments on Reddit in the PGT are basically "Pickett does not deserve to be in the NFL".
I live in Philly and had it on in the background while I was doing other things around the house so only ended up watching two of his drives, but I legitimately did not see him attempt one pass beyond the line of scrimmage lol. There was a screen pass to a RB that went for like 20 yards but it was on a 2nd and forever play after Pickett took a sack.

I think some of the negativity you see online is coming from Steeler nation, so I'm trying to remain unbiased here. But just from talking to friends that are Eagles fans, I would guess a majority of the fanbase would prefer to see Tanner McKee as QB2. He apparently played well in the preseason last year for them. Whether that actually happens for Week 1 remains to be seen because I think the organization does want Pickett to win the backup job given they spent a moderate amount of draft capital to get him.

1723784630190.png

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was onboard with the KP selection initially bc I thought it was the right move. Seemed to be a high floor/low ceiling guy and that is what Tomlin wanted with his risk aversion. This appeared to be a match.

But the more I saw of KP, the more his warts started to show. Escaping the pocket too early (kinda like Fields), missing fairly easy reads, etc. The 1 positive you could say about him was he was fairly mobile and he seemed to have some balls and his teammates seemed to rally for him briefly.

What should really be called into question is how in the world KP and Mitch played in front of Mason Rudolph for 3/4 of the season. The only reason MR saw action was due to KP's injury.

This again is an inability of the offensive coaching staff to rectify problems when they are glaringly obvious to the casual observer.

There are many facets in which I believe Tomlin is in over his head, but we now have confirmation he doesn't comprehend offensive football at this level. I've got little general complaints about his defense (maybe bc it's stacked with talent), But Tomlin is a toddler asked to do a physics problem when it comes to offense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I don't think there was one person who thought he was a franchise QB.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was onboard with the KP selection initially bc I thought it was the right move. Seemed to be a high floor/low ceiling guy and that is what Tomlin wanted with his risk aversion. This appeared to be a match.

But the more I saw of KP, the more his warts started to show. Escaping the pocket too early (kinda like Fields), missing fairly easy reads, etc. The 1 positive you could say about him was he was fairly mobile and he seemed to have some balls and his teammates seemed to rally for him briefly.

What should really be called into question is how in the world KP and Mitch played in front of Mason Rudolph for 3/4 of the season. The only reason MR saw action was due to KP's injury.

This again is an inability of the offensive coaching staff to rectify problems when they are glaringly obvious to the casual observer.

There are many facets in which I believe Tomlin is in over his head, but we now have confirmation he doesn't comprehend offensive football at this level. I've got little general complaints about his defense (maybe bc it's stacked with talent), But Tomlin is a toddler asked to do a physics problem when it comes to offense.

Look at the team Ben had to play with his last year. He earned his money that year.

This team was really bad.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I don't think there was one person who thought he was a franchise QB.
Eh, there were some pretty adamant KP defenders around last year. Some of them were motivated by Tomlin bashing, some are H2P guys, and some just were optimistic to a fault, but there was a large segment of the fanbase that was insistent that KP was really a good QB being held back by Tomlin and Canada and the WR's and global warming and whatever else they could think of.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Eh, there were some pretty adamant KP defenders around last year. Some of them were motivated by Tomlin bashing, some are H2P guys, and some just were optimistic to a fault, but there was a large segment of the fanbase that was insistent that KP was really a good QB being held back by Tomlin and Canada and the WR's and global warming and whatever else they could think of.

Yup and there were adamant KP bashers. Some apparently due to going to Pitt or whatever, which was always weird to me.

I could give a flying f*** if the dude went to school on Venus. If he plays for the Steelers I want him to succeed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The reality was that people wanted to see KP away from Canada, many believing Canada was the reason for the offense being so pop-whiz. KP has looked the same in his work in Philly.

I don't think anyone here every thought he'd be a franchise guy, but I think many saw a potential game manager. He may still be able to progress to that point with some time and seasoning behind Hurts

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Kp Mitch and Mason are all backups.

You're not wrong exactly. But I look at it more precisely in terms of tiers.

MR is going to give you a higher and extended level of play than either of those 2 clowns. You could survive 8-10 games of MR. He might even compete for the starting position depending on his competition. MR was clearly the best QB on the roster last year and everyone but the coaching staff could see this.

KP might be ok for a game or 2, but he's a poor man's Minshew at best.

Mitch the Bitch is a hair away from being out of this league next year.

In short:

MR

KP

MT

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
God, Plainview is back after his laughable Pickett takes last year. What a self-assured clown. Say "Yinzer" please.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Anyway back to Steelers football, Kozora is doing his training camp grades and of course the QB position is the most important one.

He's been going to all these practices and I haven't so it's hard for me to really disagree but I was a little surprised Russ had the highest grade. In his mind, Wilson has a large enough sample size in camp to properly grade him 🤷‍♂️.

I thought the writeup on Fields was pretty insightful, praising his growth, decision making, and ability to go through reads (which we've talked about a lot in this thread). On the negative side, "I have never seen a quarterback have as many throws batted down at the line of scrimmage as Fields". He counted 12 in total through camp + joint practice. Also claims his footwork feels spotty.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the thing I'm going to enjoy most about whenever the Steelers have a franchise QB again is less petty nonsense.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyway back to Steelers football, Kozora is doing his training camp grades and of course the QB position is the most important one.

He's been going to all these practices and I haven't so it's hard for me to really disagree but I was a little surprised Russ had the highest grade. In his mind, Wilson has a large enough sample size in camp to properly grade him 🤷‍♂️.

I thought the writeup on Fields was pretty insightful, praising his growth, decision making, and ability to go through reads (which we've talked about a lot in this thread). On the negative side, "I have never seen a quarterback have as many throws batted down at the line of scrimmage as Fields". He counted 12 in total through camp + joint practice. Also claims his footwork feels spotty.

I was going to say there's no way you can give Wilson an A- based on how little he played but if he came in and was almost instantly vocally in command of the offence and using cadence to manipulate things, maybe that was right.

It's a shame Plumlee didn't do much as a QB, although completely unsurprising. I'm interested in the idea of him as a Taysom Hill type but probably has to throw better than that.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

The improvement from Fields seems to be a pretty common report from beat writers too that were at OTAs which is nice to see. For batted balls, I’d be curious to see a breakdown of how many came during padded vs unpadded practice. I forget which podcast I heard it on but someone said it’s a little easier for the defense to cheat and swat balls during the unpadded portion.

I don’t think the Wilson thing is all that surprising. He still has the arm and accuracy to impress in these settings. I’m definitely interested to see how things look with him when there’s a real pass rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad