OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I know you hate Pickett but if he was still here I could see him having chemistry with Ayuik in Arthur Smiths offense.

I'm always going to think it was a bad move moving Pickett but I'll have to wait and see if I was right when he gets his chance in Philly (it's coming). Jalen Hurts is garbage and not worth his contract. Or he's getting hurt by week 4 (Picketts chance with that offense, Barkley and all that is coming).

The thing that pisses me of is, I don't care if you hate the guy because he comes from your local school but don't quit on a QB YOU drafted after year 2. That's always been my point.

Not necessarily you @Buddy Bizarre but in general i mean

I'm originally from Philly so maybe I'll enjoy this but then again I live in Florida now and like the Bucs too so f*** Philly because we have a rivalry with them too.
I actually think that Kenny would be pretty good in this system with this line. Smith let Tannehill find a rhythm and Kenny works well in offenses that click like that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yes, at some point the salary cap has to be tilted towards the offense and I think even the past 2 drafts have reflected that. I worry though, that as the defense ages, they have over-corrected too much and won't have invested enough draft capital to replace those guys so they'll be in the reverse shape in a few years (where the Offense gets too much salary cap).

This is something I've been thinking about this summer and been thinking is a problem that kind of goes under the radar. I think people haven't paid enough attention to the way that trying to rebuild the offence almost entirely through the draft has been part of why it's failed hard and has got a reboot - and there's definitely potential for them to do the same thing with the defence. I think the fact they appear to have got huge hits on Porter and Benton could go a decent way towards warding it off but who knows for sure. Maybe they go backwards and get bad injuries. Or maybe the Steelers build like crap around them and they're not enough. I hope that the Steelers are willing to spend a little when the time comes. Although I'm sure they will. Always money for the defence...

But to your original point, I don't think any high profile WR is coming our way due to what we'd have to a) give up and b) the subsequent contract. No thanks to both.

I mostly don't want them to do it but it feels like this is riding a bit too long for it to be impossible

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is something I've been thinking about this summer and been thinking is a problem that kind of goes under the radar. I think people haven't paid enough attention to the way that trying to rebuild the offence almost entirely through the draft has been part of why it's failed hard and has got a reboot - and there's definitely potential for them to do the same thing with the defence. I think the fact they appear to have got huge hits on Porter and Benton could go a decent way towards warding it off but who knows for sure. Maybe they go backwards and get bad injuries. Or maybe the Steelers build like crap around them and they're not enough. I hope that the Steelers are willing to spend a little when the time comes. Although I'm sure they will. Always money for the defence...

I mostly don't want them to do it but it feels like this is riding a bit too long for it to be impossible

An issue they are having right now is that they have spent a lot of money on the defense. That can work if rookies hit like they look like they are going to be. It's a fool's game though because once you miss on a rookie on the lower side of the pendulum, your team is f***ed.

They have to get some money over to the offense at some point, but if this line can come together, Pickens turns into a #1, and Austin or Wilson hit...they can keep the money on the defense for a bit. That offensive swing will be violent though in a few years and decisions will absolutely have to be made.

Piggybacking on that thought, I think this team is so unbelievably well constructed right now. It has been a tough few years, but man this is starting to look up. My hope is that Khan/Weidl continue to leverage assets for draft capital. If Mason McCormick comes into camp and kicks ass, I'd ship Daniels somewhere for a pick. We have backups. Get capital and continue that pipeline. Colbert was so content sitting there and doing f*** all that it was almost like watching paint draw. He wasn't proactive, but he drafted well.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
An issue they are having right now is that they have spent a lot of money on the defense. That can work if rookies hit like they look like they are going to be. It's a fool's game though because once you miss on a rookie on the lower side of the pendulum, your team is f***ed.

They have to get some money over to the offense at some point, but if this line can come together, Pickens turns into a #1, and Austin or Wilson hit...they can keep the money on the defense for a bit. That offensive swing will be violent though in a few years and decisions will absolutely have to be made.

Piggybacking on that thought, I think this team is so unbelievably well constructed right now. It has been a tough few years, but man this is starting to look up. My hope is that Khan/Weidl continue to leverage assets for draft capital. If Mason McCormick comes into camp and kicks ass, I'd ship Daniels somewhere for a pick. We have backups. Get capital and continue that pipeline. Colbert was so content sitting there and doing f*** all that it was almost like watching paint draw. He wasn't proactive, but he drafted well.

I don't know what hit/bust rates are in the NFL, and I don't know how being around experienced player or inexperienced players affects things, but it feels like all of that going right is one of those out of nowhere perfect streaks of drafting and development that just don't happen very often.

And my gut instinct is the lack of experience really does affect things. That's why I wouldn't try shipping Daniels. If the difference between Frazier developing bad habits because he doesn't trust his guard and not is Daniels, or if that's the difference between Tomlin trusting Fautanu to play a full season or getting half a season of Dan Moore, that's worth the pick. They need their picks to hit a hell of a lot more than they need extra picks.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Colbert's past few drafts were frankly not good. Khan and Co seem to have re-directed the ship and we are getting draft hits again. And more importantly, the rest of your team looks pretty good by proxy when you have Olines and Dlines that are studly. I'm glad we're moving in that direction again- that was always a hallmark of those 90's teams and why they were always so competitive. It's also a bellweather when the late 90's hit and we stunk again.

I've always said this: fix the Lines and you fix alot of problems.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Russ is super corny, but he does seem to really embrace the opportunity. The guy has been EVERYWHERE in the city. He's decked in Steelers swag. My hope is he can assist to getting Fields where he has the potential to be. Because if he can do that, we will be in unbelievable shape going forward.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
My questions heading to training camp:

Will the Steelers treat the pre-season like the playoffs (as they did last year), where they seemingly game planned to ensure KP got success/confidence out of the gate?

What will the Warren/Harris snap splits look like?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Looks like the NFLPA is just gonna roll right over on this one.
They will get a 2nd bye and extended rosters plus more money for their troubles

Will the Steelers treat the pre-season like the playoffs (as they did last year), where they seemingly game planned to ensure KP got success/confidence out of the gate?

I don’t think they game planned defenses dont blitz and the teams we played didn’t play their starters and stayed in base m2m defense all game

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Russ is super corny, but he does seem to really embrace the opportunity. The guy has been EVERYWHERE in the city. He's decked in Steelers swag. My hope is he can assist to getting Fields where he has the potential to be. Because if he can do that, we will be in unbelievable shape going forward.

Neither are good starting NFL QBs, and there is a very low chance either will be in the future. There's a reason their prior teams didn't want these guys.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Looks like they only had six carries each in pre-season last year so I dunno that you're getting answers.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The goal of training camp is to stay healthy

Steelers camp is a lot more physical than other teams IIRC and that’s always my concern

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think if I'm looking for anything this training camp it's what's going on with the fringe guys. Who they like, who's getting what roles, and so on.

In particular there's an intriguing mess at TE/RB/FB. Is Baby Heyward gonna be a FB? Is Pruitt? Maybe even Pattersson? Is Pattersson gonna be running routes? What about Washington?

Etc.etc.

Also curious about WR2 (but weirdly less so, as the number of snaps means that can change in season where as it's tough for a guy who doesn't see the field to persuade coaches he should take the 10 snaps that catching TE2 should be getting), the DL pecking order, and whether guys like Trice and Rush can bring pressure on the guys in front of them.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't see a ton of fringe guys. I think this is one of the more concrete rosters we have had in some time. I think a guy like Beanie Bishop makes the 53 man.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I’m sure this will change but hopefully they don’t spend too much time with this OL setup. A line this young and new needs as many reps as possible together to gel.

Like we all know Frazier is starting week one so why waste any time with Herbig there.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I’m sure this will change but hopefully they don’t spend too much time with this OL setup. A line this young and new needs as many reps as possible together to gel.

Like we all know Frazier is starting week one so why waste any time with Herbig there.
Yeah just the usual “make them earn it” rhetoric. I agree that I anticipate Frazier leaping Herbig by the end of the preseason, but I’m not so sure about Dan Moore and Fautanu. That battle could extend into the season like Broderick’s did last year.

Assuming it’s not injury related, probably a good indication Russ is being treated like the starter…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

I don’t think much changes before pre season the vets are always in pole position

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad