OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kendrick Green was the wrong pick the second it was made and everyone aside from Colbert and Co knew it.

The 49ers didn't trade Samuel when he requested one in a more or less identical position. Barring the sort of all time sulk that should make teams reconsider whether they actually want Aiyuk, I don't see why they'd handle it differently.

edit: Just to expand on this -

The 49ers had to have thought through all the scenarios when they decided not to trade Aiyuk at the draft, right? Including the real possibility they couldn't get a contract done until a long way through the summer, if then?

If they decided that was the better course then, why change their minds? A trade request had to be one of the scenarios they brought up and decided they could live with.

They're in a championship window. There's no deal they can strike that'll make them stronger this season. They'll still have control over Aiyuk next season through the franchise tag.

The only real reason I see for them to change their mind is Aiyuk getting stupidly unhappy, or a stupidly big trade offer. And a trade request isn't the former.

I think the 9ers know that he isn't the type of dude who will really cause a big scene. Pickens, Aiyuk, Wilson, and Austin is a really awesome WR room.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Kendrick Green was the wrong pick the second it was made and everyone aside from Colbert and Co knew it.

Yea I don't pretend to know these other dudes that they theoretically passed on, nor did I know much about K Green when he was picked. But the more tape I saw the more I realized he certainly wasn't a center. And I'm just an armchair scout. Steelers are making a bad habit of putting OLinemen in positions they aren't succeeding in. That's gotta stop

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The fun thing about the Green pick was you didn't need to watch a single second of tape to know that selecting a raw guard who wasn't all that big to become an immediate NFL center was probably not going to work.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for that one. My guess is Klemm really pounded the table for that one and it's part of why he was sacked, but I'd love to know what everyone else was seeing and thinking. Bonus points for Tomlin's post-draft description of Green that honest to god sounded like he was just talking about a different guy.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There is no way anyone watches Green's tape and sees anything but a serviceable college player. I think they thought they could get a bit more out of him because his measurables were actually great as was his mentality. He had not sand in his ass. Zero ability to anchor.

Pretty much everyone here wanted Meinerz at that pick which is why I posted that article.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Never expected him to come back. He’s made a hell of a career out of special teams.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1721331772923.png

Reactions: Son Goku

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

If they trade Highsmith, that's just another leak in the dam that has to be plugged.

First they robbed Peter to pay Paul (trading DJ for Jackson)
Now they're going to do it again: theoretically filling the WR hole with an EDGE hole.

Just accept that you can't be deep at every position every year. With the salary cap, every single team has positional questions that can't be addressed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If they trade Highsmith, that's just another leak in the dam that has to be plugged.

First they robbed Peter to pay Paul (trading DJ for Jackson)
Now they're going to do it again: theoretically filling the WR hole with an EDGE hole.

Just accept that you can't be deep at every position every year. With the salary cap, every single team has positional questions that can't be addressed.
For me it all depends on where the hole is and how adequately can you fill it. In terms of WR - I'd actually like to see Austin and Wilson. It's risky, but I think it's worth it. With a very weak secondary, they need to get to the QB. I'd keep Highsmith.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

That's every team. Every team has weaknesses, That's why you need coaching. I've seen posters on this board say coaching is overrated...lol no it's not.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
For me it all depends on where the hole is and how adequately can you fill it. In terms of WR - I'd actually like to see Austin and Wilson. It's risky, but I think it's worth it. With a very weak secondary, they need to get to the QB. I'd keep Highsmith.

That's my take at the moment: you need to just plug your nose this year and accept Wilson/Austin as WR2.

Plus that's the only way they get better- by playing. Let's see what they got and if they don't have the chops, then WR can be addressed next offseason

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not particularly hankering to get Aiyuk and per Over The Cap, Highsmith's dead money for the next two seasons is prohibitive, but at the same time, at some point they need to bolster the offence big time and that money is going to have to come out of defence. Maybe it'll leave some cracks but with the amount of money in it, it should be able to ride them out.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Aiuyk the player is a no-brainer. But he'll need a contract. And he'll cost assets. Highsmith specifically is an asset I wouldn't move, despite that it would help counter some of the contract.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm not particularly hankering to get Aiyuk and per Over The Cap, Highsmith's dead money for the next two seasons is prohibitive, but at the same time, at some point they need to bolster the offence big time and that money is going to have to come out of defence. Maybe it'll leave some cracks but with the amount of money in it, it should be able to ride them out.

Yes, at some point the salary cap has to be tilted towards the offense and I think even the past 2 drafts have reflected that. I worry though, that as the defense ages, they have over-corrected too much and won't have invested enough draft capital to replace those guys so they'll be in the reverse shape in a few years (where the Offense gets too much salary cap).

But to your original point, I don't think any high profile WR is coming our way due to what we'd have to a) give up and b) the subsequent contract. No thanks to both.

Reactions: Peat

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yes, at some point the salary cap has to be tilted towards the offense and I think even the past 2 drafts have reflected that. I worry though, that as the defense ages, they have over-corrected too much and won't have invested enough draft capital to replace those guys so they'll be in the reverse shape in a few years (where the Offense gets too much salary cap).

But to your original point, I don't think any high profile WR is coming our way due to what we'd have to a) give up and b) the subsequent contract. No thanks to both.

I know you hate Pickett but if he was still here I could see him having chemistry with Ayuik in Arthur Smiths offense.

I'm always going to think it was a bad move moving Pickett but I'll have to wait and see if I was right when he gets his chance in Philly (it's coming). Jalen Hurts is garbage and not worth his contract. Or he's getting hurt by week 4 (Picketts chance with that offense, Barkley and all that is coming).

The thing that pisses me of is, I don't care if you hate the guy because he comes from your local school but don't quit on a QB YOU drafted after year 2. That's always been my point.

Not necessarily you @Buddy Bizarre but in general i mean

I'm originally from Philly so maybe I'll enjoy this but then again I live in Florida now and like the Bucs too so f*** Philly because we have a rivalry with them too.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That's my take at the moment: you need to just plug your nose this year and accept Wilson/Austin as WR2.

Plus that's the only way they get better- by playing. Let's see what they got and if they don't have the chops, then WR can be addressed next offseason

Exactly. And figure out if they can play outside. People think it's crazy, but I think Wilson and Austin both can. The key will be to get those two moving and mixing DBs up because with the both of them, if they can get DBs confused on the same side, it's over. Peterson said that last year about Austin - one miss step, you may as well stop running.

Aiuyk the player is a no-brainer. But he'll need a contract. And he'll cost assets. Highsmith specifically is an asset I wouldn't move, despite that it would help counter some of the contract.

Agreed. The business side of Aiyuk makes no sense. The football side of it is a perfect fit, which is what even gives me pause and consideration on how I would feel about it happening.

I think they really should be looking to bolster the OLB spot so maybe they can do a flip on Highsmith for some draft capital. I really believe Herbig is going to make Austin play him this season, so that's a bridge that will have to be crossed. Highsmith makes a lot of money, he's highly productive, and he still has a lot of tread left on the tires. I could see a team being really interested in his services if we ever got to that point.

I think the offense will be the higher paid of the units when this OL gets to their 2nd contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad