OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
How many yards did Fields lose on penalties. It’s hard to judge his game today with all the penalties. They could not run the ball on early downs in the 2nd half
That Dime to Pickens stands and his statline looks much better to the boxscore watchers.

Anyone watching understands Fields played a smart game, chewed the clock in the 2nd half. And got the W.

Reactions: T1K and Ryder71

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
My initial reaction is that fields hasn’t done enough to fully lock it however they’re 2-0 and have only one capable receiver right now and the oline is still gelling. I’d be fine with whatever they do but I still think WR is the bigger concern.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
That Dime to Pickens stands and his statline looks much better to the boxscore watchers.

Anyone watching understands Fields played a smart game, chewed the clock in the 2nd half. And got the W.
It's useless to speculate without seeing the all 22 but I also liked the decision to throw the ball away on one of those possessions in the second half. Basically a sack/fumble/int being the only thing that could've lost us the game at that point.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Wins in the NFL are wins no matter who you play, and both Atlanta and Denver are respectable, if not good. They have to clean up the penalties and I think the OL will get better and better as the guys get experience and Seomalu returns, but the real issue here is that they have one receiver who can get open. The notion I kept hearing from certain folks that they didn't need a second good WR is being debunked every game they play - Friermuth cannot be the 2nd option on a good offense, Jefferson and Austin are marginal at best, and unless Wilson is about to break through, the failure to add another receiving option is the biggest miss they had by far.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Penalties and poor execution thus far has been our Achilles heel. Surely you won't play mistake free ball but this is a bit ridiculous with the lack of being fundamentally sound.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't see any reason in the first two games to look at QB and think "we're getting such bad mistakes we have to change this".

I don't see any reason in the first two games to look at QB and think "we're getting such good play we can't change this".

I was very not happy with Smith's playcalling in the 2nd half, but I honestly feel the bad results are more of a talent problem than a playcalling problem. Their QB is a low end to mediocre starter, your WR2 is Van Jefferson, the OL is inexperienced and inconsistent and I honestly just don't think Harris is anything special. There's realistically a limit on what even the best play calls can do with this team.

This team needs some playmakers on WR badly. I think the OL and running game will be totally fine as the OL gets more experience, and I think either of Fields or Wilson should give decent enough (. But this WR group is severely lacking and they need significant help.

There's definitely a talent on the pitch problem.

I question whether the approach is getting the most out of it, both today and in terms of growth.

Today it doesn't matter because the defence crushed it.

End of the season, next season... I mean it's the same argument people have been poking at for 2 plus seasons now and until we see some progress, there's only so much I trust the team are doing the right things about it.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
That game was painful to watch. The football was bad and the refs were not helping.
Of the 10 early games, I think only the Saints scored more than 30 points. Quality of the game has been pretty bad all around the league the first couple weeks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see any reason in the first two games to look at QB and think "we're getting such bad mistakes we have to change this".

I don't see any reason in the first two games to look at QB and think "we're getting such good play we can't change this".

I think this is pretty much spot on, but the argument for sticking with Fields is that he's young enough to possible be a long-term solution while Wilson isn't. Fields hasn't locked down the role but hasn't done anything to make me think he should lose it.

I want to stick with Fields because I don't think the throwing talent upgrade with Wilson (assuming there is one) will really change much, and Fields is young enough where he might have another level to hit. I just don't see a point in swapping to Wilson until Fields starts hurting you. It would be different if Wilson was clearly and notably better, where going to Wilson could make you a contender or something. But I just don't see that as being the case.

This team simply cannot contend with Van Jefferson as your WR2. You'd basically need a Patrick Mahomes caliber QB to be able to contend with that bad of WR depth.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think this is pretty much spot on, but the argument for sticking with Fields is that he's young enough to possible be a long-term solution while Wilson isn't. Fields hasn't locked down the role but hasn't done anything to make me think he should lose it.

I want to stick with Fields because I don't think the throwing talent upgrade with Wilson (assuming there is one) will really change much, and Fields is young enough where he might have another level to hit. I just don't see a point in swapping to Wilson until Fields starts hurting you. It would be different if Wilson was clearly and notably better, where going to Wilson could make you a contender or something. But I just don't see that as being the case.

This team simply cannot contend with Van Jefferson as your WR2, even if you had Patrick Mahomes at QB.

The ironic thing is a team did win it all with Van Jefferson as WR2. He's admitted he took it easy, thinking he was there after that happened... kid ain't clawing it back.

In any case, I don't see Fields as the future. I'm an extreme guy who will happily make great the enemy of good when it comes to QBs. I think it's quite possible to get good performance out of Fields. I think it's borderline impossible to see truly great. I'd rather have Wilson because there's no temptation to see him as the future, and also because I think him theoretically being a better thrower and reader of the game might help speed up the development of other guys, not to mention I think he's theoretically a great mentor for their next try at drafting a QB.

But right now I don't know that all of that makes much of a difference when there's so much going on. It feels kinda academic. There's a whole lot of stuff that needs to happen.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
What a horrible game to watch. Just dreadful.

If they are going to play ball control play action football then they have to be able to run the ball and it feels like the OL just is not working right now.

And they need more schemed plays to get easy throws to help open up the running game.

Hopefully Roman Wilson can bring something. But no doubt they need to make a trade for a WR at the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad