OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That’s a burn the tape game.

I’d like to see Fields continue to start though. The first half was one of the better halves from a Pittsburgh QB that I’ve seen for a while. Pretty much every big play of his was wiped by a flag though.

Defense continues to live up to the hype but I think Bo Nix is also just terrible.
Payton outcoached Tomlin in the second half…zero adjustments by the Steelers…it’s just that Nix is worse than Fields lol

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
There was some good moments in the offense in the first half. Rush defense was pretty good throughout the game.

But penalties killed all the sustainable drives and big plays.

Home opener vs LAC, they need to be MUCH better. LA looks competent, that game will be physical as hell too.

Reactions: Andy99

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
When your tight end leads all receivers in yardage with 46 yards you know Jim Harbaugh is going to put nine in the box and dare Tomlin and Smith to beat them in the air.

Fields or Wilson could be capable if we take the training wheels off of the offense a few times a game.

Reactions: Andy99

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
IMG_20240519_194053.gif

Suck it Bungles

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Its a work in progress, but there are pieces there. They have to stop f***ing with Jones, but one has to start to think - is Jones even pushing Moore right now?

I could see this offense catching fire. You can see it catching some momentum now. Once they figure it out, it could be great. If Carolina wants to trade us back DJ...wouldn't be opposed.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Its a work in progress, but there are pieces there. They have to stop f***ing with Jones, but one has to start to think - is Jones even pushing Moore right now?

I could see this offense catching fire. You can see it catching some momentum now. Once they figure it out, it could be great. If Carolina wants to trade us back DJ...wouldn't be opposed.

As much as I want it to happen, I don’t see how anyone can argue for Jones over Moore at this point. I think you just have to let him sit and get his mind/elbow right.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unless Fields starts hurting the team with his turnover issues he has had in the past, I simply do not see a reason to go back to Wilson. The only reason to go with Wilson is if you think this team is a contender and Wilson makes them a better contender than Fields, but I think anyone with eyes can see that this WR group is not even close to good enough for that to be possible. Fields is young enough where he could be something, as long as he's playing well there's no reason to pull him.

They should be biased towards starting Fields so they can see if he's worth committing to, since Wilson is about to be 36 and is not a long-term guy.

Reactions: WickedWrister

metalan2

May 30, 2008
But, yea Fields, good job on 2-0, but Wilson needs to start. 1 td in two games is awful and the offense was non existent in second half.

This is not a rebuilding year and Wilson is easily more capable of running a real offense with throws down the field.

Fields is what he is, great backup for now, but maybe next year.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Not sure what people see in Fields right now. It's no better than what Rudolph did at the end of the season last year.
He looked pretty comfortable out there to me, and once again had some big plays waved off due to penalty. I want to say 3? The 50 yarder to Pickens, a third down conversion to Austin, and another one I can't recall right now. Was fairly accurate and decisive today and limited the negative plays again.

Winning two games on the road, he's not getting pulled for this effort.

Edit: oh yeah, the TD to Pickens

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But, yea Fields, good job on 2-0, but Wilson needs to start. 1 td in two games is awful and the offense was non existent in second half.

This is not a rebuilding year and Wilson is easily more capable of running a real offense with throws down the field.

Fields is what he is, great backup for now, but maybe next year.

What in this offense suggested that the QB play was the problem and the cause of only 1 TD in 2 games? And why should we think someone of Wilson's caliber is going to be the one that solves that?

By far the biggest issue with their passing game is that their WRs beyond Pickens suck. Wilson isn't solving that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There was some good moments in the offense in the first half. Rush defense was pretty good throughout the game.

But penalties killed all the sustainable drives and big plays.

Home opener vs LAC, they need to be MUCH better. LA looks competent, that game will be physical as hell too.
The Chargers have an actual QB and they cracked 20 points in both games this season, something the Steelers find it nigh impossible to do lol

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I said it last week and I’ll say it again this week, I don’t think putting Wilson in makes this offense look significantly better. The whole offensive identity is still going to be run a lot and throw deep shots. If Fields was struggling with the deep ball or turning the ball over a bunch like we all expected I would get it. But he’s played pretty smart and the deep shots have been mostly on the money.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
What in this offense suggested that the QB play was the problem and the cause of only 1 TD in 2 games? And why should we think someone of Wilson's caliber is going to be the one that solves that?

By far the biggest issue with their passing game is that their WRs beyond Pickens suck. Wilson isn't solving that.
The play calling centered around Fields legs, not throwing the football in any facet to anyone, anywhere. It is not a sustainable way to beat good teams and barely beats bad ones.

With Wilson that would change. Fields did well for what it was, but they know he is limited to ground attack and maybe hitting some play action, or broken plays down field.

I agree, they need some receivers bad, but that doesn't mean you do not stop trying to pass the football.

This is near Kenny Pickett ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad