OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
The Chargers have an actual QB and they cracked 20 points in both games this season, something the Steelers find it nigh impossible to do lol
Yeah but it was against Carolina who might not win a game this year lol. LA feels a bit like a mirror match, just in terms with what they want to do. Run the ball 30 times a game and beat the other team up. I can't wait to see what the over/under for points is

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Fields had 117 passing yards, I'm not sure how there's a bunch of people who are comfortable with this. He didn't lose them the game, although he tried with yet another fumbled snap, but he didn't make too much of a positive impact either.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I said it last week and I’ll say it again this week, I don’t think putting Wilson in makes this offense look significantly better. The whole offensive identity is still going to be run a lot and throw deep shots. If Fields was struggling with the deep ball or turning the ball over a bunch like we all expected I would get it. But he’s played pretty smart and the deep shots have been mostly on the money.
He looked very good UNTIL Jones and Moore wrecked the game for the offense with those penalties. Mahomes would be hard pressed to overcome that.

It's as if they tried to throw the game, that was brutal!

Fields had 117 passing yards, I'm not sure how there's a bunch of people who are comfortable with this. He didn't lose them the game, although he tried with yet another fumbled snap, but he didn't make too much of a positive impact either.
The penalties stifled us, prior to that the offense looked pretty good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The play calling centered around Fields legs, not throwing the football in any facet to anyone, anywhere. It is not a sustainable way to beat good teams and barely beats bad ones.

With Wilson that would change. Fields did well for what it was, but they know he is limited to ground attack and maybe hitting some play action, or broken plays down field.

I agree, they need some receivers bad, but that doesn't mean you do not stop trying to pass the football.

This is near Kenny Pickett ball.

What game did you just watch? This offensive playcalling is absolutely not based around Fields legs. In fact, I'd easily argue that the playcalling isn't using Fields' legs nearly enough.

Did you watch the game or are you just looking at stat lines?

Citing the passing numbers without context and mentioning the fumbled snap (which was Frazier snapping the ball before Fields called for it) is a dead giveaway you didn't even watch the game.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Given how they used Fields in the 2nd half, it seems likely they are going to go back to Wilson once he's deemed healthy enough.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’m curious what people expected from an Arthur Smith offense? Unless they’re down multiple scores, this offense is never going to air it out. Doesn’t matter whether Wilson or Fields is in the game.

I think in their perfect world, the QB is never attempting more than 25-30 passes.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I see enough with this team right now to be ok with the last two games. We need to see progress, but I think from Fields, he has done alright. His connection with these Georgia guys I think really helps this situation.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
on 20 attempts lol
In the 1st two games of the season Pickens was robbed on an erroneous PI and then made a brilliant catch with a perfect throw by Fields for a massive gain, only to be called back because Jones is an ass clown! If those two plays counted, which they should have, Fields numbers look a bit better and we likely put up more points in both instances. Again Penalties stifled this offense.

Reactions: WickedWrister

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's fun watching the game away from the HF Steelers hivemind to form your own opinion.

The game script for this one was very clear especially once we picked Nix in the end-zone. We did not think their offense could score 13 points and we just turtled and ran the ball. Fields played fine to well and was badly impacted by penalties. But we stopped trying to move the ball in 2nd half. No turnovers = win when Denver's disastrous offense was on the other side.

Broderick Jones - I haven't followed what the master plan is with the tackles and DM Jr. But Broderick killed an entire touchdown drive by himself. Bench his ass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Look, I'm not even going to argue Fields has been anything amazing. He's just been good, he's honestly just playing smart with the ball and making a few really nice passes here and there (a couple of which have been called back due to bad offensive penalties). But the things that went wrong with that offense in the 2nd half are completely irrelevant of who's playing QB.

In the second half, the Steelers had 7 drives. Of those 7 drives:

-6 drives had 1st down plays yield 3 or fewer yards (3 yard run, 0 yard run, 0 yard run, incomplete pass, 2 yard run and 2 yard run)
-2 1st down conversions were called back due to penalties (Harris run and Austin catch)
-4 3rd downs were from 3rd and 8 or longer, mostly due to the horrid running game

Now add on the other big plays Fields made that were called back due to penalties in the first half that were already mentioned, and it's very easy to see how Fields was getting no help from his team today. It doesn't matter who your QB is, most QBs are going to struggle with that kind of performance. Add on the awful WR group the Steelers have and it makes it even harder for QBs to convert in those situations.

Fields shares some blame there because he was very inaccurate in the 2nd half, but anyone coming to the conclusion of "a QB change would make things better" simply did not watch that game.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Gonna have to score some eventually.

Either they are this challenged offensively or they are doing what they absolutely have to to win games early while they work it out. Most here have made up their minds but regardless we’re going to find out.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
Look, I'm not even going to argue Fields has been anything amazing. He's just been good, he's honestly just playing smart with the ball and making a few really nice passes here and there (a couple of which have been called back due to bad offensive penalties). But the things that went wrong with that offense in the 2nd half are completely irrelevant of who's playing QB.

In the second half, the Steelers had 7 drives. Of those 7 drives:

-6 drives had 1st down plays yield 3 or fewer yards (3 yard run, 0 yard run, 0 yard run, incomplete pass, 2 yard run and 2 yard run)
-2 1st down conversions were called back due to penalties (Harris run and Austin catch)
-4 3rd downs were from 3rd and 8 or longer, mostly due to the horrid running game

Now add on the other big plays Fields made that were called back due to penalties in the first half that were already mentioned, and it's very easy to see how Fields was getting no help from his team today. It doesn't matter who your QB is, most QBs are going to struggle with that kind of performance. Add on the awful WR group the Steelers have and it makes it even harder for QBs to convert in those situations.

Fields shares some blame there because he was very inaccurate in the 2nd half, but anyone coming to the conclusion of "a QB change would make things better" simply did not watch that game.
:biglaugh:
Learn football.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m curious what people expected from an Arthur Smith offense? Unless they’re down multiple scores, this offense is never going to air it out. Doesn’t matter whether Wilson or Fields is in the game.

I think in their perfect world, the QB is never attempting more than 25-30 passes.

The Titans were 6th in net yards per passing attempt in both of Smith's years there. I know they're always going to be a run heavy team but I expect them to be aiming for that sort of explosiveness. I also know they're not going to manage that right away but I'd like them to at least look like that's the ambition, not call it into question.

And yeah, I did see a bunch of plays that would have changed the narrative there if they hadn't got called back. But they did, and then the team turtled, and the end result raises questions.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I wonder if Fields ever had two consecutive starts without a TO. When he's not careless, he's fun to watch, and he opens the running game up for the RBs.

Not gonna show up on that stat sheet but he turned a few 5-8 yard sacks into positive yards, or got to the line.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Just watched the post game presser.

Asked if the three penalties on one drive is what led to Broderick Jones being benched, Tomlin said “You got it.”

Can't believe our feckless media didn't ask him to elaborate on the decision to have him in a rotation in the first place.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Titans were 6th in net yards per passing attempt in both of Smith's years there. I know they're always going to be a run heavy team but I expect them to be aiming for that sort of explosiveness. I also know they're not going to manage that right away but I'd like them to at least look like that's the ambition, not call it into question.

And yeah, I did see a bunch of plays that would have changed the narrative there if they hadn't got called back. But they did, and then the team turtled, and the end result raises questions.

I was very not happy with Smith's playcalling in the 2nd half, but I honestly feel the bad results are more of a talent problem than a playcalling problem. Their QB is a low end to mediocre starter, your WR2 is Van Jefferson, the OL is inexperienced and inconsistent and I honestly just don't think Harris is anything special. There's realistically a limit on what even the best play calls can do with this team.

This team needs some playmakers on WR badly. I think the OL and running game will be totally fine as the OL gets more experience, and I think either of Fields or Wilson should give decent enough (. But this WR group is severely lacking and they need significant help.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At least Fields threw over the middle a bit and took some shots down the field. It would have worked out pretty well if Jones and Moore didn't soil the bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad