OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also in terms of TDs, there are literally 0 QBs in the NFL averaging 3 TDs a game.

I just find it hilarious that the same person who does backflips to defend Tomlin and the playcalling also puts these downright ridiculous expectations on Fields to be successful. There are literally 0 QBs in the NFL who are hitting all of:

1. 250 passing yards with the ~27 passing attempts the Steelers are calling per game
2. 50 rushing yards with the ~8 QB rushing attempts the Steelers have per game
3. 3 total TDs from a QB

Hell, I don't even know if there's a QB hitting literally any of those points. There are no QBs with 3 TDs per game and there are no QBs with a high enough Y/A to hit 250 passing yards in 27 passing attempts. To get 50 rushing yards per 8 rushing attempts, you need to be a Lamar Jackson caliber running threat at QB. 50 rushing yards per game from your QB is 850 yards over a full season, while Lamar finished last year with 821 rushing yards in 16 games.

This all just goes back to the reality that the peopel shitting on Fields are putting just downright ridiculous requirements on him and saying he's failing because he's not hitting those absurd requirements. The expectations of "250 passing yards, 50 rushing yards and 3 TDs a game" is literally not even what Lamar Jackson is capable of meeting.

And for clarity, the standard I hold Fields to for a "good game" is 250 net yards and a +2 TD-turnover ratio (so 2 more passing or rushing TDs per game than interceptions or fumbles). I feel like that is a completely reasonable standard to hold a QB to in 2024. That's basically what he did against the Chargers (251 net yards, 2 total TDs and 1 interception) and I'd consider that a "good" game for him because I felt the interception was fluky.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well it’s good to know bigdaddy has completely reasonable expectations for a QB of 4,250 passing yards, 850 rushing yards, and 51 touchdowns in a season :laugh:

That was a much more concise way than I put it :laugh:

Either way, Lamar won the 2023 MVP with averaging 230 passing yards and 50 rushing yards per game with 24 passing TDs and 5 rushing TDs. The idea that Fields would have to somehow surpass that to be acceptable is just dumb.

My hope for Fields for a "good year" would be something like:

-3400 passing yards
-600 rushing yards
-30 combined passing and rushing TDs
-Fewer than 15 total turnovers

That's similar to what Lamar did last year (4500 yards, 29 TDs and 14 total turnovers).

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I got curious and looked up QBs even getting 50 TDs. Rodgers was the last QB to beat that total in 2020 I think. He only did it once in his career. Best I can tell, ditto Brady/Mahomes/Manning.

Or, in other words, 51 touchdowns would represent a once in a career spike for the best four to do it this century.

Or, alternately, a passing grade for Fields.

Really quite sublime.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Jalen hurts last season 23 passing td 15 rushing tds 3800 passing 600 yards rushing. Fields right now has 5 passing TDS and 3 running 961 yards passing 172 rushing.
He threw for 2500 yards 16 tds ran 650 4 tds in Chicago in 13 starts
If he gets 17 starts he should come close to 30 tds if he is the guy.
More likely its a Daniel Jones type season 700 yards rushing 7 td 3200 passing and 15 tds but he won a playoff game before he got 40 million
Ryan Tanahill threw for 3700 yards and 33 tds under smith
There going to get a wr 2 and even if RW starts Smith will want them to re up Fields to compete with the rookie next season

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, me too.

For me the key here is just how excited Tomlin is about Wilson. I think he's pretty excited and he's being really cautious because he doesn't want to wreck his new toy, but the moment he's confident Fields is out unless he's amazing. Not just good, but a statement game.

But maybe I'm wrong and the delay is about giving Fields rope to win the job. He doesn't sound like that in public, but maybe I'm reading him wrong.

I think this is why Tomlin has done what he has done with the media - "Russ Wilson is #1 and Fields is the starter until he comes back." Basically gives him an out to pull Fields for Wilson and having the baked in excuse of Russ being #1 the entire time. Also less of a shot to Field's ego if Tomlin is sitting there tell him to respect the process, this just being part of that.

Ok but the colts game is propping up Fields numbers that game he threw 34 times for 312. In Atlanta Denver and Dallas he didn’t crack 160. Purdy lowest game is 244. In order for him to ne successful he needs to throw for 250 and run for another 50 and score 3 tds a game
This isn't Madden. Success for me is a dude that can run the offense and keep our defense off of the field. 20 passing TDs, less than 10 ints, and around 350 yards rushing with a few more TDs.

This team does not need Fields to be a franchise guy but it sure would help.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For me, what Fields needs to do is less about the end result and more about the process - and that is he's got to be a guy where they feel comfortable having him pass in any circumstance. Their refusal to let him pass on 1st down was killing the offence, but when they changed that tendency vs Dallas he didn't take the opportunity. He's got to be a guy who can get predictable yardage with his arm, not a guy with a lot of highs and lows, because they don't trust that guy.

There's a lot of chicken and egg with that trust and I hope they just hand it to him vs Vegas. Find out who he is.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Jalen hurts last season 23 passing td 15 rushing tds 3800 passing 600 yards rushing. Fields right now has 5 passing TDS and 3 running 961 yards passing 172 rushing.
He threw for 2500 yards 16 tds ran 650 4 tds in Chicago in 13 starts
If he gets 17 starts he should come close to 30 tds if he is the guy.
More likely its a Daniel Jones type season 700 yards rushing 7 td 3200 passing and 15 tds but he won a playoff game before he got 40 million
Ryan Tanahill threw for 3700 yards and 33 tds under smith
There going to get a wr 2 and even if RW starts Smith will want them to re up Fields to compete with the rookie next season
Yes, comparing Fields to Hurts with Brown, Smith, Swift, and the best OL in the NFL is a reasonable thing to do.

Do you even realize how much of a shill you are?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yes, comparing Fields to Hurts with Brown, Smith, Swift, and the best OL in the NFL is a reasonable thing to do.

Do you even realize how much of a shill you are?
You Najaee had more rushing yards and tds than swift plus warren added 700
GP matched Smith last season and they are going to end up with another wr Muth is a younger Goddert. They will get another wr to make the job easier for the qb and then now if they need to draft a qb or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad