OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I read you as saying the downtick was solely due to the team using more heavy formations, not that there was a downtick in his usage in heavy formations.
I mean there is an overall downtick in snaps for George because we are using more formations with multiple TE's, yes. But specifically in the Cowboys game he was only in on 8% of heavy packages.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I saw Pickens did a segment on Adam Schefter's podcast today? Not sure when it was recorded but from the clip I saw he was pretty complimentary of Tomlin, FWIW. If there's trouble there, at least they aren't arguing through the media.

Burn me at the stake but I like Tomlin's decision to stick with Fields as the QB1 in practice this week. Sounds like if Russ is able to practice in full all week with no setbacks, he'll be active and the backup. I'd imagine that if Fields and the offense struggle again in the first half, he'd make the change then.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean there is an overall downtick in snaps for George because we are using more formations with multiple TE's, yes. But specifically in the Cowboys game he was only in on 8% of heavy packages.

I'm not sure that's true. Kozora never provided numbers for heavy formation usage compared to previous games so we don't know whether that's true, it's just an assumption based on Pickens downtick in numbers.

But, if Pickens had played 56% of the heavy formation snaps as he had in previous months, he'd have played 14 snaps there rather than 2.

Which would mean he'd have played 46 snaps rather than 34, which would bring his percentage of the snaps up from 58% to 79%, right in line with where he's been.

Which seems to suggest that the difference here wasn't that they played more heavy formations, it's that they played Pickens less in them.

Burn me at the stake but I like Tomlin's decision to stick with Fields as the QB1 in practice this week. Sounds like if Russ is able to practice in full all week with no setbacks, he'll be active and the backup. I'd imagine that if Fields and the offense struggle again in the first half, he'd make the change then.

Personally I really hope Tomlin doesn't do that. Give Wilson a full week in command to get back in sync with people before dropping him out there. Guess I wouldn't be surprised if he did though.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm not sure that's true. Kozora never provided numbers for heavy formation usage compared to previous games so we don't know whether that's true, it's just an assumption based on Pickens downtick in numbers.

But, if Pickens had played 56% of the heavy formation snaps as he had in previous months, he'd have played 14 snaps there rather than 2.

Which would mean he'd have played 46 snaps rather than 34, which would bring his percentage of the snaps up from 58% to 79%, right in line with where he's been.

Which seems to suggest that the difference here wasn't that they played more heavy formations, it's that they played Pickens less in them.
Dude we are saying the same thing lol

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s basically him saying he’s not playing as much because he doesn’t show effort when he runs routes.

Weird phrasing but people want him to hold guys accountable and then complain when he holds guys accountable.
I've reread that tweet like 25 times with this in mind and honestly, I can't see how that's what it means. Sounds to me like they are telling him to not run routes to keep him fresh.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s basically him saying he’s not playing as much because he doesn’t show effort when he runs routes.

Weird phrasing but people want him to hold guys accountable and then complain when he holds guys accountable.

I've reread that tweet like 25 times with this in mind and honestly, I can't see how that's what it means. Sounds to me like they are telling him to not run routes to keep him fresh.

Yeah I have to squint to see xlm's phrasing and it sounds a lot more like they're saying they tell Pickens to take some routes off to stay fresh.

I'm also inclined to think Tomlin is deflecting like mad in public to try and kill the story and that his attitude in private is a lot different. Or so I hope.

Dude we are saying the same thing lol

Oh, okay. Well fair enough then :laugh:

Reactions: pistolpete11

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I don’t care what people think of this coaching staff, but I would bet everything I own there is a zero percent chance they’re telling him to jog on routes. Especially in ones where he’s the primary read.

Dude had to be held back from his WR coach in camp because his coach was getting on him for effort, but they’re suddenly fine with no effort in the regular season? That doesn’t track.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don’t care what people think of this coaching staff, but I would bet everything I own there is a zero percent chance they’re telling him to jog on routes. Especially in ones where he’s the primary read.

Dude had to be held back from his WR coach in camp because his coach was getting on him for effort, but they’re suddenly fine with no effort in the regular season? That doesn’t track.
I agree. That's why I said that can't be real, but that's the only way I can read that tweet.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I agree. That's why I said that can't be real, but that's the only way I can read that tweet.
Tomlin not going to air anything to the media. They will handle it internally. They are trying to convince Adams to come here and he and GP are very identical
Look at Greenbay they suspended Doubs for no show practice last week over lack of targets and now he is back to practice this week

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This is the NHALS formula: 5 weeks in, defenses have some film on Fields and start adjusting then BOOM Tomlin switches QBs. Grab some low hanging fruit while defenses sit on their heals in fear thinking the Steelers might suddenly run an explosive, vertical offense with the new QB.

Then after another 4-5 weeks if Wilson isn't notably better they'll switch back to Fields. And again exploit defenses that, inexplicably, act like that first 5-6 weeks of tape on Fields doesn't exist.

Easier to keep defenses guessing switching QBs than to, you know, run a dynamic offense. But it works for NHALS, and that's the goal!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
How on earth was Brandon Johnson able to jump on a MOVING TRAIN..........when he was just elevated from the practice squad on Saturday.
Brandon Johnson was not at OTA's, was not at mini - camp, not at training camp, signed in late August, the 28th of the month.
Did not play in any pre-season games.

HOW ON EARTH DID HE JUMP ON A MOVING TRAIN.....but Roman Wilson watches from the sidelines.........the worst WR in the NFL
Maybe he spent time on the sidelines next to Pickens................as the Steelers ran out Van Jefferson, Scottie Miller, and CAIII

The Steelers lose more games before kickoff than any team in football.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
How on earth was Brandon Johnson able to jump on a MOVING TRAIN..........when he was just elevated from the practice squad on Saturday.
Brandon Johnson was not at OTA's, was not at mini - camp, not at training camp, signed in late August, the 28th of the month.
Did not play in any pre-season games.

HOW ON EARTH DID HE JUMP ON A MOVING TRAIN.....but Roman Wilson watches from the sidelines.........the worst WR in the NFL
Maybe he spent time on the sidelines next to Pickens................as the Steelers ran out Van Jefferson, Scottie Miller, and CAIII

The Steelers lose more games before kickoff than any team in football.
I think Roman is healthy enough to practice in full but is lacking the same level of explosiveness that he had before the injury. I'm basing it off of that one practice clip which is probably not wise, but we have nothing else to go off of.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Might as well dress Wilson and see what he can fo as a wide receiver against Vegas. Miller isn’t playing gunner anymore can swap spots

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think Roman is healthy enough to practice in full but is lacking the same level of explosiveness that he had before the injury. I'm basing it off of that one practice clip which is probably not wise, but we have nothing else to go off of.

I mean I know not to believe everything we read in press conferences.
So why didn't Tomlin just say "he's not at 100%"?

Either Tomlin lied or it's performance based.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad