OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I was driving through Tampa a few years ago and noted how many old trees they had. My immediate thought was 'they must never get hit by hurricanes'

And for the most part, I was right. They rarely take the brunt. This is going to be bad. Lots of badly done quick real estate flips going to be exposed rather quickly.

We almost bought closer to Tampa. Lots of nice neighborhoods. Oddly enough, we looked at Jay Feaster's (tampa bays previous GM) house in the Tampa burbs. Only knew it was his because of the memorabilia and pictures he had plastered up in his office.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
They say its suppose to weaken significantly before it hits land but atm it has wind speeds of 180 mph which are downright catastrophic.The strongest wind speed from a storm ever recorded in the Atlantic was 190 mph from Hurricane Allen ( 1980 ).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMG_1693.jpeg

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Back from Augusta, Georgia. Not the disaster area in NC and TN but also not good. They have a long way to go but as of yesterday the city and surrounding counties reached the point where they don’t need much outside help aside from linesmen.

About 50k trees downed. Most are non-southern pines. Southern pine roots go deep searching for water in the deeper areas. The non-pines have roots which splay outward looking for water at the surface. Those trees combined with the wet ground made for a disaster.

Lots of people doing good work. FEMA, Georgia, and Georgia Power brought in thousands of linesmen. There was no hotel space at all. Georgia and Georgia Power did most of the work, so kudos to them for being ready with the linesmen contracts.

If you’re not in the disaster recovery business, the state government is the most important part due to authorities. FEMA can’t do much unless the State makes certain requests and declares a state of emergency. Georgia did well. South Carolina always does well, but they also have a national guard loaded with engineering assets.

I don’t know how NC and TN are doing with their areas. I talked to counterparts there and it’s a disaster like they’ve never seen. Pray for those people.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Read comment from a meteorologically invested friend of mine that Milton is nearly at the carrying capacity of earths atmosphere for a storm. I’m going to have to dig into that later if I still have that urge to find out what they meant. I didn’t know that there was a top limit that they have already theoretically calculated, but I suppose that makes sense. They’ve also calculated the primary productivity of the oceans and the planet’s forests.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Read comment from a meteorologically invested friend of mine that Milton is nearly at the carrying capacity of earths atmosphere for a storm. I’m going to have to dig into that later if I still have that urge to find out what they meant. I didn’t know that there was a top limit that they have already theoretically calculated, but I suppose that makes sense. They’ve also calculated the primary productivity of the oceans and the planet’s forests.

I saw that too. The analysis from the internet (ie YMMV) is that the 70 mile diameter core is equivalent to an EF4 tornado, and outside that is EF2. That all sounds bad. Like catastrophic. Stay safe, buddy.

Reactions: Chainshot

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I saw that too. The analysis from the internet (ie YMMV) is that the 70 mile diameter core is equivalent to an EF4 tornado, and outside that is EF2. That all sounds bad. Like catastrophic. Stay safe, buddy.

The eye of it is apparently the smallest they’ve ever recorded, at a massive 3.8 miles.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad