OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Adams has 14m due this season. There's another two expensive years afterwards but he can be cut without consequence.
My expectation would be that he would be restructured. If the Steelers traded for him weeks ahead of the deadline someone would be going the other way to fit within the cap. It’s not very complicated from a cap standpoint.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He also went to play for his “hometown team”. He grew up in the Bay Area as a Raiders fan.

The Raiders are starting the bidding at a high point. I would be shocked if any team gave them a 2nd+ for him especially without a contract restructure.

He will be 32 in December and his current contract makes him a pure rental.

Seams like a Cowboys type of move.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
His career average is for an 18 TD 14 INT season with a passer rating of 80. That's not a good QB. Any idea it's not startling that he's suddenly tearing this league a new one is just, well, startling in itself.

Did you steal that talking point from Ben Baldwin's twitter feed? :naughty:

I dunno. It's impossible to look at guys like Stroud and Daniels exploding in what were meant to be really hard situations and not feel something like this. But then I also find it impossible to look at Mahomes having less fun without Hill and with Kelce ageing out, or the way Smith/Darnold/Fields have blossomed on changing situations, and not think it can never just be the QB. Or the way it looks like Steichen was the prime mover behind Hurts looking like a franchise QB.

I also gotta say I find it easy to believe Kingsbury is actually capable of being a talented OC when not trying to do everything as a guy who was HC on his very first time in the NFL. Not some genius who's responsible for Daniels, but an active contributor.

I dunno man. Yeah, it's the single biggest part of the puzzle... but I feel like one guy can never be the situation.

I am now very curious though as to Washington's running game. Those are the numbers we wanted...

Is this just your daily wish that Fields be Brock Purdy with a slightly better arm instead projecting itself?

Sam Darnold is a huge talent who can look good for stretches. To be honest Minnesota upgraded at QB with him vs. that guy who threw the football like 25 times at Michigan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is this just your daily wish that Fields be Brock Purdy with a slightly better arm instead projecting itself?

Sam Darnold is a huge talent who can look good for stretches. To be honest Minnesota upgraded at QB with him vs. that guy who threw the football like 25 times at Michigan

No, it is my daily wish that people would stop doing things implying it's completely natural and unsurprising that a guy who had played his way into being a bridge starter/premium backup should look utterly dominant after 4 games.

Although now you say it, given how Purdy is reproducing most of his numbers from last season despite virtually all of the 49ers firepower having spent time missing or reduced in firepower, then yeah, it'd be pretty sweet if Fields turned out to be Purdy with a better arm. Who wouldn't want that, unless you somehow have the Mahomes clone recipe somewhere?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No, it is my daily wish that people would stop doing things implying it's completely natural and unsurprising that a guy who had played his way into being a bridge starter/premium backup should look utterly dominant after 4 games.

Although now you say it, given how Purdy is reproducing most of his numbers from last season despite virtually all of the 49ers firepower having spent time missing or reduced in firepower, then yeah, it'd be pretty sweet if Fields turned out to be Purdy with a better arm. Who wouldn't want that, unless you somehow have the Mahomes clone recipe somewhere?

Hey, as long as you're not downplaying Fields' performance because you have a stylistic aversion to QBs that can run it's cool.

Let me know how you identify these 2000s style field generals given the state of college football today.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Purdy normally has good weapons but it's always been the line, in particular one guy, that is the 49ers offensive engine. The threat of running is too great, and their offense knows their line will provide time to run long-developing routes. There's no defense that is going to be able to guard a 15-20 yard in that ends up on the opposite sideline.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hey, as long as you're not downplaying Fields' performance because you have a stylistic aversion to QBs that can run it's cool.

Let me know how you identify these 2000s style field generals given the state of college football today.

The odd thing is in a lot of ways, I prefer watching running QBs (and great running backs in space). Although I mostly appreciate American Football for what it is, I am at heart a rugby guy and I love watching guys run ball in hand at tacklers more than just about anything. One of the things that suckered me into this was getting shanghaied into doing a fantasy football league, picking up Lamar Jackson, and seeing highlights of him. If there's any QB I'm going to tune in to watch just to watch them, it'll be Josh Allen.

But. As best as I can tell, the playoffs tell a brutal truth about what works and what doesn't once you winnow out the chaff. The great passers beat the great runners. Among the runners, the tanks beat the race cars, usually because they're better passers. Lamar Jackson is a regular season cheat code - probably shouldn't have two MVPs, but if you're in the conversation you're pretty good - but in the playoffs, he's cannon fodder. So, I want the field general because they'll win more.

If someone can change the world, then kudos to them. Maybe Kingsbury and Daniels will do that, or Smith and Fields, but some stupidly talented guys have tried it and came up real short.

And you ain't wrong about it being near impossible to identify the field generals today. I don't know how to do it consistently and neither, very blatantly, does the NFL as a whole. Hell at best I can tell they've never been good at it, but it's probably not getting any easier. But unless they change the rules, such field generals as they find will win the majority of the Super Bowls. And I don't think they're going away entirely even with all the athletes they find - Stroud is one - so they will find them.

And as a coda, I would add that while I'm appreciating Fields' recent performances, a huge amount of that is because he's been a field general. His running ability has been critical at times - particularly when finishing drives - but what has allowed him to shine has been his passing. This is, at the moment, probably the best passing and worst rushing season of his career. If he continues to pass like this then I imagine a lot of us are going to want him to pass more and run less. We will want him protected from injury and we will want the team to lean on the most efficient way of moving the ball. I can't predict the future or what the Steelers will do but I feel like that is what happens with the running QBs who stick. They evolve into field generals. I suspect Fields will be the same if he makes it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad