OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Correct me if wrong, but isn't Williams mainly a deep threat with little intermediate route running value?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If nothing else, I am delighted that we can stop talking about when will Wilson will get in, and can take a short break before talking about when will Fields get back in

edit: Apparently Tomlin's actual presser says both Wilson and Fields are taking 1st team snaps in training this week?

Presumably coach talk

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

These types of people just shouldn't be allowed to procreate. Get them out of the evolutionary chain.

Also, grown men, wearing a jersey of other grown men is just strange to me, and I say that as a pretty avid fan of multiple sports.

90% of the time, these situations are also alcohol fueled rage fests. Absolute disgrace and why I advocate strongly for marijuana as an alternative to alcohol.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mixed feelings. We needed to see Russ. That said, Fields is the one who could be a long term answer.
Which is why I am not mixed.

Mediocre Mike Tomlin ain't winning a Superbowl. Certainly not this year. So, number one is seeing what they have in Fields before the making the call of whether to cut him loose or give him a big contract.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
If nothing else, I am delighted that we can stop talking about when will Wilson will get in, and can take a short break before talking about when will Fields get back in

edit: Apparently Tomlin's actual presser says both Wilson and Fields are taking 1st team snaps in training this week?

Presumably coach talk
Probably just not showing his hand, but at this point if you are taking reps from Fields for Wilson, they guy who was named the starter before the injury, Tomlin probably has Wilson penciled in

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Williams is probably getting cut Rodgers literally blamed him for 2 missed big plays yesterday

You may be right.
Rodgers severely underthrew him on the final play. Yet it's the WR's fault? Rodgers is a nutcase

Mike Williams is good but not dependable. I realize a 4/5 isn't much but why trade for someone who doesn't for-sure make your position group better?

All he has to be is better than VJ and it makes the position group better.
I'm not saying it has to be Williams. Lot's of WR's probably available for a similar cost that's better than VJ

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Fields getting benched after barely turning it over through 6 games and being one of only a handful of QB able to operate behind the shit we have up front, is comedy gold and totally predictable of Tomlin, who's an idiot.

I'll literally eat a turd if Wilson guides us to a win and better offensive output than Fields in this next tilt. Unless the OL has some sort of wild improvement over what we've seen, Wilson will get pummeled.

I'm thinking 5+ sacks and 2 INT's and a largely pathetic loss inbound.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
There is a lot wrong with the offense and Fields may be one of them. But he is so, so, so far from being one of the biggest.

Yeah I would largely classify Fields’ play so far as “fine” which is pretty much what I expect out of Russell Wilson. I guess they need to at least see what they have and maybe he’ll look good. But if you have two ok options I see no justification in starting a 36 year old QB on the decline over a 25 year old you can maybe develop more.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Fields getting benched after barely turning it over through 6 games and being one of only a handful of QB able to operate behind the shit we have up front, is comedy gold and totally predictable of Tomlin, who's an idiot.

I'll literally eat a turd if Wilson guides us to a win and better offensive output than Fields in this next tilt. Unless the OL has some sort of wild improvement over what we've seen, Wilson will get pummeled.

I agree mostly with what you are saying but I wouldn't bet eating a piece of poop on it. And I will hold you to it. :D

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You may be right.
Rodgers severely underthrew him on the final play. Yet it's the WR's fault? Rodgers is a nutcase

Says he ran the wrong route fwiw.

And re WRs... yeah, being better than VJ isn't hard, but if they're spending on the team, I'd rather them fix the big problem, which is it's an offence full of deep threats with pretty much nobody who can reliably get open on an intermediate route.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Ya'll know I'm the inaugural member of the "Hate Tomlin Club", but I don't see this the same way.
I actually admire Tomlin for identifying that while Fields was good enough, there's still a ton of meat left on that Offensive bone.

Probably easier to do this now for a couple reasons:

1. If Wilson stinks, they'll know he won't be in their plans for next season and beyond. Eliminating an option brings you closer to clarity
2. They'll see how JF responds to being 2nd fiddle. If he's a professional about it (unlike KP8) that'll bode well for him.

If RW getting playing time was always going to happen, then I'm glad they made this move now. You can't go any further into the season with JF likely having a winning record but playing mediocre and justify the move to RW to the rest of the lockerroom.

Wilson better play well out of the gate or he may get a quick hook.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Says he ran the wrong route fwiw.

And re WRs... yeah, being better than VJ isn't hard, but if they're spending on the team, I'd rather them fix the big problem, which is it's an offence full of deep threats with pretty much nobody who can reliably get open on an intermediate route.

Sometimes the time isn't right to fix the "big problem". Not often a guy like D Adams becomes available. They will definitely revisit the big game hunting this offseason whether in trade or their #1 pick.

Most times, it's easier to improve on the margins. That's why I said if you can essentially upgrade VJ you're in a better position than before. So why wouldn't you do what you can at the moment?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sometimes the time isn't right to fix the "big problem". Not often a guy like D Adams becomes available. They will definitely revisit the big game hunting this offseason whether in trade or their #1 pick.

Most times, it's easier to improve on the margins. That's why I said if you can essentially upgrade VJ you're in a better position than before. So why wouldn't you do what you can at the moment?

Because it's still putting a square object in a round hole and won't be enough. The player doesn't have to be fantastic, but they do need to have the right skillset to fit the problem.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I just watched Tomlin's presser, he did not state that Wilson was going to be the starter, just that it's now "in serious consideration" due to his health and a decision would be made closer to game time. He didn't even commit to Russ getting first team reps but Pelissero is legit so if he's saying Russ is going to get the reps with the 1's this week in practice, I believe him.

I would've stuck with Fields and it has nothing to do with long term potential for me. He's played at roughly a QB15 level according to some analytics that I share in here. Ironically, 2024 Fields has almost identical numbers to 2023 Russ in terms of EPA+CPOE, and it kind of meshes with my perception of how he's been playing. QB's are often measured by more basic things like wins and TD's, so him being 4-2 with a 10-1 total TD/INT ratio are both above the mean too.

All that being said, he just had his worst game by far in terms of passing accuracy and has been trending down in that facet the last few weeks, so I sort of get it. My biggest concern with the change is that we're going to lose those explosive plays in the run game and RZ without Fields mobility. Hopefully we see an uptick in accuracy and overall efficiency in the offense but I'm not optimistic with the lack of talent and separation we get from the WR group. I think sacks and offensive holding penalties are going to be more of an issue with Russ too.

This is not going to quell the QB controversy or discussion lol.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If my count is right, then I think Fields went 2/5 on positive passing attempts with a target on 1st down vs the Raiders. That doesn't count passes aimed at nobody or 1st down sacks (at least 1 of each). He went 5/12 vs Dallas.

I think that's why you're seeing this change, beyond Tomlin liking Wilson and wanting to play with his new toy. They opened up the offence a bit and gave Fields more responsibility as a guy who could pass on 1st down and pick his guys, and he didn't throw well with it. That's far from entirely on him but I think that was his test to keep the position, if it was keepable.

Well, that and all the passes going right at defenders. I don't have a total on that but it's beyond lucky he's had no interceptions through his last three games.

This is not going to quell the QB controversy or discussion lol.

Ah, it will a little, simply because there'll be less media coverage of it. For... a week? Two weeks? Think of it as our QB controversy bye week!

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
While I tend to agree with the idea of Wilson's impact on the offense, I need to know how you're measuring the bolded.

Let's see 20+ points by the offense, 200+ passing yards and 2 total TD's with 0-1 turnover. That's not even really improving much over what we're getting now anyway.

To take Fields legs out of the equation with our line, Wilson better be giving us 250+/2+ most games because the run game isn't going to carry this team with a QB who can't really move himself.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think that tweet about Wilson being in line to start isn’t quite correct, but both guys are going to be getting first team reps and I doubt they’d be giving Wilson that if he wasn’t going to start.

That being said, I dislike this half in/half out idea more than I dislike Wilson starting. Pick a guy and let him get fully prepared with first team reps.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also, re the other 52 members of the roster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $725.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: