OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the best course of action is to let Najee and Warren battle it out, if Najee is a clear upgrade, pay him. If he's not, go to the draft to find another guy to pair with Warren.

It'd also be a great situation to pick up a guy like when we signed DeAngelo Williams. Maybe not a bell cow guy, but a guy who could definitely carry the load if needed periodically and takes care of the ball.

I think a lot changes with Najee this year in this system behind this line. If it doesn't, I can't even see another team lining up to sign him.

I don't get the idea of treating this as a battle between Harris and Warren when the team is better with two players of their calibre and can find plenty of touches for both.

I also don't think they're going to find a player who can give you a 200 carry season at over 4 yards a pop like Williams could without paying the sort of money the Steelers refused to do so with Harris.

Reckon Harris is as good as gone too. Either he doesn't ball out next season and nobody wants him back, or he does and he's probably the best RB FA on the market and they can't afford him.

What public statements or comments by Harris are you talking about? I really don't think the Steelers give a shit if he's cold or standoffish with the media at times. I remember seeing articles like this, but being frustrated with the state of the offense last year is pretty reasonable lol. Or are you talking about that zoom call with the leagues best RB's where they voiced their frustration with the RB pay landscape?

I just haven't seen anything to suggest he's a bad teammate or shows poor work ethic in football related activities, like Diontae.

All I'm saying is that I think this is business related - not personal.

The big key one that the beat reporters bring up was this comment

Where they talk about Tomlin not appreciating effectively being called out for the lack of discipline. I think Tomlin addressed that comment in his next presser with something along the lines of "I don't want to talk about that in public".

True? I don't know, but I do find it very easy to believe it wasn't appreciated, that Harris was a tough customer for coaches to manage last season, and that's part of it. Maybe I wouldn't if they hadn't just wiped most of the most whispered about locker room personalities while smiling and insisting it had nothing to do with that, but they did, so it makes a lot of sense.

And whether that's true or not, I still don't believe Khan about how much he loves Harris.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't know, in the grand scheme of things, those comments seem pretty benign to me in the wake of a tough playoff loss. Certainly not enough to be a factor in whether or not they want to bring him back, in my opinion.

And re: Khan's comment's about Pickett/Diontae at the Combine, I think you can clearly tell the difference in tone and feel from what I posted earlier compared to:

“As of right now, we’re having conv…” Khan said before stopping the thought . “I’m not gonna speak to specific negotiations for an individual player, but I have a lot of respect for Diontae. Usually, as you guys know, the extensions happen later on in the year.”

"I have full faith in Kenny Pickett," Khan said, via the team website. "Obviously there were some issues with the offense, and I'm excited about the impact that Arthur Smith is going to have on him. I know Arthur's very optimistic about Kenny, and I know they've communicated. And we'll see where it goes. We feel really good about him."

"I have a lot of respect for _____" is what I would say if I had to give a PC answer about a reasonably well performing, but annoying coworker.

Either way, trying to decipher comments through the media is probably as productive as analyzing offseason QB workout videos :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know, in the grand scheme of things, those comments seem pretty benign to me in the wake of a tough playoff loss. Certainly not enough to be a factor in whether or not they want to bring him back, in my opinion.

And re: Khan's comment's about Pickett/Diontae at the Combine, I think you can clearly tell the difference in tone and feel from what I posted earlier compared to:

"I have a lot of respect for _____" is what I would say if I had to give a PC answer about a reasonably well performing, but annoying coworker.

Either way, trying to decipher comments through the media is probably as productive as analyzing offseason QB workout videos :laugh:

Fun and about the only insight we have right now? :naughty:

Well actually that's not true. The best insight we have on how they feel about Harris is money.

Like we could go round the houses on how sincere we think Khan is (given the PCness of his answers, to use your phrase, I find it easy to believe he isn't always sincere). Or I could point out that how Khan talks about Johnson/Pickett when their futures are a bit in the air isn't an apples/apples comparison when he's talking about Harris who's definitely coming back this season (I'm too lazy to look right now but I think his comments about Harris back then read very similar). Or etc.etc. And we'd be guessing through our lens. The stuff about the locker room discipline not being good enough? That's not benign to me. Neither was the bit about Tomlin telling him to keep running into loaded boxes, but it's the locker room one that caught. But we disagree, fair enough.

But money talks, bullshit walks, and the money says the Steelers don't love Harris to the tune of 6.79m or whatever it isn't a year. Which, given where RB salaries are right now, just seems to me to be don't love him. Even with the funkiness of guaranteed options vs APY, I just don't see how a team can love a player but not make him the 12th highest paid player at his position.

The rest is speculation and supporting circumstantial evidence but that stuff is concrete. And tbh, Khan sitting there and trying to tell me how much he loves a player in that situation is a big part of why I doubt his sincerity.

Incidentally, speaking of Khan, I just saw he'd confirmed there'd be no contract negotiations in season this coming season. Kind of a non-story, but potentially a big decision depending on how things go with Heyward/Wilson.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Assuming this is accurate.

And assuming the cost is a first plus. And $25 million a year for several years.

Would you make the trade?

It does make sense that the primary hold up is the ask by San Francisco and it being unrealistically high. And Khan not being a sucker enough to pay unless they come down.

You don't give up an overpay in draft picks and contract. It I'd one or the other. Unless you are GM Jim Rutherford.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

And assuming the cost is a first plus. And $25 million a year for several years.

It does make sense that the primary hold up is the ask by San Francisco and it being unrealistically high. And Khan not being a sucker enough to pay unless they come down.

You don't give up an overpay in draft picks and contract. It I'd one or the other. Unless you are GM Jim Rutherford.
I seriously seriously doubt Omar gives up a 1st. Maybe a '25 2hd and a 5th or a '25 2hd and a '26 4th, something along those lines.

Matt Williamson made what I view as a very salient point a few days back. Made the case for Washington to trade for Aiyuk, fits the narrative of getting young talent around Daniels and Aiyuk and Daniels are chums. THAT in turn would free up the Steelers and Commanders to make a deal involving Mclaurin. The cost we would incur would be decidedly less than for Aiyuk both cap wise and asset wise.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

The contract definitely wouldn’t be an issue in my eyes. Aiyuk is really good a fills a need and archetype that this team doesn’t have. Eventually they’re going to need to pay a receiver and it’s not going to get any cheaper.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I seriously seriously doubt Omar gives up a 1st. Maybe a '25 2hd and a 5th or a '25 2hd and a '26 4th, something along those lines.

Matt Williamson made what I view as a very salient point a few days back. Made the case for Washington to trade for Aiyuk, fits the narrative of getting young talent around Daniels and Aiyuk and Daniels are chums. THAT in turn would free up the Steelers and Commanders to make a deal involving Mclaurin. The cost we would incur would be decidedly less than for Aiyuk both cap wise and asset wise.
Obviously, Khan didn't bite at the draft. Or yet. Either San Francisco comes down in price or no deal.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Obviously, Khan didn't bite at the draft. Or yet. Either San Francisco cones down in price or no deal.
The commanders scenario would make more sense. Let's say both the Steelers and Commanders would give up their '25 2hd rounder and say a 5th. WAS would almost certainly pick higher, which would entice the 49ers more if all other things are equal. And then Mclaurin would very likely become available. He'd likely cost a 3rd and possibly a 7th. And would be a much lower cap hit. To me that would make more sense for all invloved. That's not to say I wouldn't want Aiyuk, I would. But Mclaurin would be a strong no 2 to Pickens.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah I just think both sides are waiting for the other to blink. It's possible neither ever does, but I suspect there is serious mutual interest.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
No way should they trade a 1st in 2025 for Ayuk. We all think they will just do what they usually do but what if they have injuries and finally have that 6-11 season and are picking top 10?

I don't think Khan does it for a 1st that he doesn't know where the pick will be in 2025.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would absolutely not trade a 1st for Aiyuk, not a chance. I'd do a 2025 2nd and a 2026 3rd, but if they say no to that, I'm not going to bother.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Iirc, the talk on Aiyuk's contract is SF offered him 26m and he turned it down and they went "uhh".

So I don't think it'll be 25m a year. I think it'd be higher.

And assuming the 49ers want an AJ Brown-esque deal for him... yeah, no.

I think that in general, trading for a high end WR is a move that makes sense for a team in a championship window who has everything but, or a team that has just drafted a high end QB prospect and ergo a) have a few years of cost certainty/no need to spends 1sts on QBs b) need to be all in on making the guy work. That's not the Steelers. You can argue that if Wilson pans out and can be kept cheap for a couple of years there's a championship window - or at least there is with a guy like Aiyuk - and that the team should be all in if they believe in him... but I don't see it with that rookie OL.

If Khan wants to disagree with me, then lets buckle in and enjoy the ride. But he very clearly didn't at the draft. Maybe it won't take much of a discount to get him to move this offseason but I don't see why the 49ers would let it ride this far and then drop the price.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The thing is, it is not just a first.

It is an enormous amount of cap space over the long term.

Both ways.

San Fran needs the space. We have the space.

But just because we have the space does not mean that we just spend it this way. Especially when it also costs a first.

That is the thing. Talent wise he might be worth a first. But they are doing it because of cap issues. That is worth something too. So it should not cost a first.

Also, do we want another wide receiver who causes issues in the room? I thought that we keep jettisoning those. I get knowing your worth and not accepting a sweetheart deal. But if he turned down 26 million a year that screams problems. Even if you give it to him.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would trade them a 1st if they gave us back a 2nd.
SF wouldn't do that though. They could very likely garner a better offer somewhere else. Best we could hope for is Aiyuk and and a 4th for our 1st. And factoring in the cap and such I'm not likely to go that route.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The thing about trading for Aiyuk and giving him a contract is that you’re probably looking at moving Pickens next offseason in that scenario. So you could potentially get back some picks there.

I can’t see a world where they would pay both Aiyuk and Pickens and also can’t see a world where Pickens just plays out his deal without making a fuss.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I’m all for acquiring aiyuk and shopping Pickens at a later time. Agree with everyone though, no dice on our first rounder being in play. I have faith in khan here.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pickens is uber talented. Barring some major step backward I'd want him signed long term. If that means we make a deal for Courtland Sutton or Terry McLaurin instead of Aiyuk to keep GP I'd be great with that.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I’d love aiyuk and Mclaurin, somehow. Probably unrealistic.. with Pickens.. I mean it’s here and it’s coming with the diva ***. No denying the talent.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Personally, if I'm factoring Pickens into the Steelers' moves at WR, then I'm all for adding a high price high profile guy. I think that's the sort of guy who might help Pickens grow up and if Pickens doesn't grow up, I'd let him walk at the end of his rookie contract.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
The thing is, it is not just a first.

It is an enormous amount of cap space over the long term.

Both ways.

San Fran needs the space. We have the space.

But just because we have the space does not mean that we just spend it this way. Especially when it also costs a first.

That is the thing. Talent wise he might be worth a first. But they are doing it because of cap issues. That is worth something too. So it should not cost a first.

Also, do we want another wide receiver who causes issues in the room? I thought that we keep jettisoning those. I get knowing your worth and not accepting a sweetheart deal. But if he turned down 26 million a year that screams problems. Even if you give it to him.

Are we all looking at the same numbers?

1718993333105.png

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Aiyuk's first year doesn't have to be expensive either. Plenty of big money deals where the first year's cap hit is under 10m.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Aiyuk's first year doesn't have to be expensive either. Plenty of big money deals where the first year's cap hit is under 10m.
Considering we're paying next to nothing for our QB's I'd prefer we pony up more early for such a WR. The player would prefer it, their agent would also, and from a team perspective it might make sense for when Pickens and QB salary jumps considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad