OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 5 and 2 Justin who? Hand the Fields to Wilson

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Porter's been targeted 26 times with a 65.4% completion rate and 9.5 yards per target. That's not high targeting or awful numbers, but it's not never targeted and lockdown numbers either. He's also missing 20% of his tackles. I get why PFF isn't giving him great numbers this year. Hell, I doubt any members of the defence outside the DL are getting great numbers this year, they get gashed open repeatedly because there's been a lot of turnover and the communication isn't there (I hope).

Still, yeah, hindsight is Porter and Branch, but I have no regrets about trying Jones. I'm not entirely counting out the game catching up with him in time either.
The team that is second in the NFL in scoring defense is getting "gashed open repeatedly."

Considering that Porter generally follows the other team's top WR, being targeted less than 4x a game is actually quite good.

There's no way many of these posters that shit all over the Steelers in every post are actually fans. That's fine, but good lord.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm giving Russ some leeway with accuracy in a vacuum. Been a long time since he saw game action but it was the lack of arm strength that really stood out. He had no zip on anything. Rainbow lobs that would make Rudolph blush.

I still think his lack of mobility is going to kill drives against better teams. We'll see. I hope he keeps proving me wrong because I do want to see this team win a game that actually matters.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Team Tiers
1729614608784.png

5th in defensive EPA per play, 13th in offensive EPA per play

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm torn between wondering whether this'll hold up when they play good teams, and saying there aren't really any good teams this season anyway.

Feel free to say it's premature but I think this team may legitimately be good this year.

They went 10-7 last year while the defense is somehow even better, the QB play is significantly improved and the playcalling is improved.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Feel free to say it's premature but I think this team may legitimately be good this year.

They went 10-7 last year while the defense is somehow even better, the QB play is significantly improved and the playcalling is improved.

Define good, I guess (gods I'm such an arsehole sometimes) :laugh:

This team feels like best of the rest which is probably good, yeah. But then hell, they were that last year too (or close) providing they didn't play Trubisky.

I don't know they're among the best. I don't know they can stop a top offence from treating the defence like so much wet tissue paper, or that their offence can make a game of it if comes to that. Also I don't know where their fitness will be when it comes to time to test that.

But then I don't know any of the top offences are as scary as they could be.

I do think this team could be legitimately good, among the best this year with a bit of injury luck and a best case Wilson and probably another receiver though. The defence should get better as they get used to each other. The offence has growing room too. I've got my doubts about it playing out but the thought is in my head too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Define good, I guess (gods I'm such an arsehole sometimes) :laugh:

This team feels like best of the rest which is probably good, yeah. But then hell, they were that last year too (or close) providing they didn't play Trubisky.

I don't know they're among the best. I don't know they can stop a top offence from treating the defence like so much wet tissue paper, or that their offence can make a game of it if comes to that. Also I don't know where their fitness will be when it comes to time to test that.

But then I don't know any of the top offences are as scary as they could be.

I do think this team could be legitimately good, among the best this year with a bit of injury luck and a best case Wilson and probably another receiver though. The defence should get better as they get used to each other. The offence has growing room too. I've got my doubts about it playing out but the thought is in my head too.

12-5 but not a real superbowl contender. So good not great.

Reactions: Peat

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
One good thing about the division race is that I think the Ravens defense is pretty bad and have a history of allowing teams to come back on them. Their offense looks pretty scary right now though.

Reactions: MrBrightside

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I sometimes think maybe we as Steelers fans expect too much. It always looks worse to me than it is.

Yup. Hell, I can hear myself doing it with the Jets game. Yeah they got a good final result but they looked so soft early, looked really bad until that momentum shifting interception...

... okay, yeah, but they did get that interception.

And you are going to have bad drives against Rodgers with Adam/Wilson/Hall. Jets are in a mess but even so, that's hardcore talent, even with Rodgers a bit in decline.

Maybe it'll get worse but right now it's about as good as we have a right to expect. Even the best defences get housed sometimes.

12-5 but not a real superbowl contender. So good not great.

Seems fair.

Feels like this is the year where a good team can be a SB contender though. I mean just in the AFC -

Bills are a good team but thin and inconsistent
Chiefs clearly aren't what they were (although Mahomes will probably come roaring back to life in the playoffs again)

Bengals don't have the defence, if we can handle the Ravens' rush like we normally do we have a chance... who else is there? Oh yeah, Texans, shouldn't have forgot about them.

It doesn't feel as scary as it did or was meant to.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Yup. Hell, I can hear myself doing it with the Jets game. Yeah they got a good final result but they looked so soft early, looked really bad until that momentum shifting interception...

... okay, yeah, but they did get that interception.

And you are going to have bad drives against Rodgers with Adam/Wilson/Hall. Jets are in a mess but even so, that's hardcore talent, even with Rodgers a bit in decline.

Maybe it'll get worse but right now it's about as good as we have a right to expect. Even the best defences get housed sometimes.
Everything the Jets got in that game was due to poor tackling. Once the Steelers started tackling they shut the Jets down. All the Jets have is short stuff. They didn't even try a deep shot all game. I am starting to think Rodgers is shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad