OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you were walking up Federal, Toula's was on the right, like 2-3 buildings up.

Toula%27s_Oil%2030w%20x%2024h%20x%201.5d%20$1200.00.jpg

I grew up in the 90s when gang violence really started to surge there. It was pretty bad, but you didn't really let it control your life. When we went down to play hockey on Lake Elizabeth we never wore red (Bloods) or black (OGs) as a sign of respect for the Crips. They were always lurking around the Commons where the lake was.

We respected them and they left us alone and would talk to us about hockey and whatever.

We had a night rule also. If there was like 4-5 of us we tried to be out of there before the lights came on. If there was like 10-20 of us, we would just keep playing.

They had those vintage era lights from old Allegheny City that added to the aesthetics. It was so beautiful at night with the snow and such, always hated leaving if it was a small group of us, but we were street smart kids and knew being cool with some Crips didn't mean we were totally safe.

First: Just totally sadden Franco didn't make it to this game that's honoring his legacy of the IR 50 years in the making. R.I.P. Franco..... Did not know he lived in the Mexican War Streets.

Now, Federal street had itself its own police station across from the beer distributor. That didn't curb a thing, and in fact, that station closed. There were just areas that even the police did not want to be. Never once got messed with there, (day or night) did some work on houses up the hill, in fact one of them vacant (7 Carrie street) while we were working on it got vandalized having all the copper lines ripped out. Going up to Perry Hill Top on many occasions that way. One of my wife's family member lived in the back house and it was awkward having them complain about stuff my friend who owns many houses around about, the trees growing over their property and trying to be the middle man between it all and keeping the peace.

Glad to hear you had no real troubles growing up in those parts. You definitely had to have street smarts to navigate the area.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
First: Just totally sadden Franco didn't make it to this game that's honoring his legacy of the IR 50 years in the making. R.I.P. Franco..... Did not know he lived in the Mexican War Streets.

Now, Federal street had itself its own police station across from the beer distributor. That didn't curb a thing, and in fact, that station closed. There were just areas that even the police did not want to be. Never once got messed with there, (day or night) did some work on houses up the hill, in fact one of them vacant (7 Carrie street) while we were working on it got vandalized having all the copper lines ripped out. Going up to Perry Hill Top on many occasions that way. One of my wife's family member lived in the back house and it was awkward having them complain about stuff my friend who owns many houses around about, the trees growing over their property and trying to be the middle man between it all and keeping the peace.

Glad to hear you had no real troubles growing up in those parts. You definitely had to have street smarts to navigate the area.

I had my troubles, but not at Lake Elizabeth playing hockey.

I saw a guy get stabbed in the back with a butcher knife, got mugged, and saw a drug dealer get his head blown off among other things.

There was a shootout last year in my old neighborhood, one of my former neighbors was watching tv and a bullet went through the wall and hit him in the back.

Last I heard he survived, but I don’t venture there anymore to keep up on things.

We had a member around here (Ogre?) who moved on or near Perry Hilltop for a couple years in his 20s, but grew up in a rural area (Westmoreland?)… and he didn’t even realize he was smack in the hood.

It’s not like Death Wish where cars are on fire and dudes are boosting cars while you walk by.

But it’s really bad there now, even reaching up into the Brighton Heights area. Was recently a shootout at a gang members funeral at Destiny of Faith church a month or so back.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DJ is looking great and Pickett is looking good today, but they have no running game and the offense completely works or not based on the running game.

And now Boswell misses the FG there. This game isn't looking good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team only has a remotely respectable record because they played a historically bad division on the season schedule.

Honestly I think it's more that the NFL in general sucks this year, so they are a shitty team that plays a lot of other shitty teams.

One of the best teams in the NFL this year is Minnesota, who is 12-3 with a +5 point differential. The league sucks this year.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Honestly I think it's more that the NFL in general sucks this year, so they are a shitty team that plays a lot of other shitty teams.

One of the best teams in the NFL this year is Minnesota, who is 12-3 with a +5 point differential. The league sucks this year.

No for the past 30+ year the Browns and Bengals have always spotted 4 games and that's if the Steelers didn't blow those games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No for the past 30+ year the Browns and Bengals have always spotted 4 games and that's if the Steelers didn't blow those games.

I don't see what that has to do with my post?

10 of the Steelers 14 games this year have been 1 score games. The fact that so many games have been competitive while the Steelers are an objectively bad team should just show how bad the NFL is as a whole this year.

The Steelers have been blown out by the Eagles and Bills this year, which are 2 of the very few "good" teams this year. The other 2 games were a 12 point loss to the Browns and a 10 point win against the Saints. The league is just filled with shitty teams this year and it's why the Steelers aren't the 4-13 team they should be this year.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't see what that has to do with my post?

10 of the Steelers 14 games this year have been 1 score games. The fact that so many games have been competitive while the Steelers are an objectively bad team should just show how bad the NFL is as a whole this year.

Well because I reiterated what @NewAgeOutlaw wrote, he wasn't referring to just this year. I think?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Najee's game has been much better in the 2nd half of the season but he really needs to stop doing the first down pose when he is 1 and a half yards short.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The game is as boring as you expect, so nothing to really comment on there. One thing I will say though is they need to shut TJ down for the year because he is so obviously not right. Why is he playing clearly below 100% while risking further injury just so the team could maybe finish 8-9?

I honestly don't think this half has offered literally anything new that can be discussed. Pickett looks good overall, but not nearly good enough to offset the shitty OL and a bad OC. The offense is working when the run game is working, which has happened in 2 of their drives today, but the offense looks horrible when the running game doesn't work. The defense isn't giving up points, but they look shitty and are being bailed out by playing a shit offense. The coaching is as useless as always.

It's literally the same thing that has happened in almost every other game this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Really terrible int …I see Pickett read my comment about getting a higher draft pick…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad