The Penguins aren't going away anytime soon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Did I miss someone of note saying the Penguins WERE going away?

Of note? This is a forum.

Typically, this would've been a let down type of game for a team like the Penguins are currently constructed. Could've been 7-0. Strongest the Penguins have looked in two years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did you open a "Bold Predictions" thread and assume that's what people actually thought?

Eh, there were quite a few predictions in the "predict the standings" threads that pop up in the summer where more than a couple posters left the Pens off the playoff list.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Sullivan is super underrated imo. Never in the conversation for coach of the year even tho he won 2 cups and yearly takes the pens to 100p seasons.

The argument I heard is "they were good before " and "not hard to be a coach to a team with that much talent"

1. I hate that a team somehow have to suck one season and then do better next for a coach to be considered good.

And 2. He usually continues to coach the pens to wins, no matter who's injured or not. He's just preaching the "next man up" mantra and somehow he makes the ones they call up play way above their actual level. And in the process the veterans buy in and plays with the same fire and adrenaline that the call-ups do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not like you're dead when you're 32, Wayne Gretzky took the Kings to the Finals at that age, Messier won a Cup the following year being older, in basketball plenty of guys are still dominant at age 32/33/34 like Michael Jordan. Crosby and Malkin and Letang should still be top tier players especially with modern training and diet.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Performance in the first ten games of the regular season is a very poor predictor of season-long results.

Not saying they will be bad, but this is some serious pre-hatch chicken counting.

And lol at mentioning the Pens in the same breath as the Pats.

Reactions: crab

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Sullivan is super underrated imo. Never in the conversation for coach of the year even tho he won 2 cups and yearly takes the pens to 100p seasons.

The argument I heard is "they were good before " and "not hard to be a coach to a team with that much talent"

1. I hate that a team somehow have to suck one season and then do better next for a coach to be considered good.

And 2. He usually continues to coach the pens to wins, no matter who's injured or not. He's just preaching the "next man up" mantra and somehow he makes the ones they call up play way above their actual level. And in the process the veterans buy in and plays with the same fire and adrenaline that the call-ups do.
Baby pens have also been a model ahl franchise that's been pumping out NHL players like a factory. Up until last season they'd made the playoffs 16 years in a row. Pens are getting big contributions from their ahl grads so far this year.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They still have 74 games to play. However, the buy-in has been from lines one through four has been impressive. The younger guys (Teddy Blueger, Adam Johnson, Sam Lafferty) are definitely rubbing off on the other players.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
playoffs are a long way off ,no one has clinched.

And? Where in my post did I say they've clinched? I was merely responding to a poster questioning whether there were a lot of posters who actually believed the Pens would miss the playoffs, so I pointed out which threads had quite a few posters believing just that.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
And? Where in my post did I say they've clinched? I was merely responding to a poster questioning whether there were a lot of posters who actually believed the Pens would miss the playoffs, so I pointed out which threads had quite a few posters believing just that.
Those posters could also be correct. St L was dead last 1/2 way through last season. Lots of hockey to be played and teams in the metro should start figuring themselves out.Lots of talent was added to the metro in this off season.I don't have a crystal ball so usually avoid early predictions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad