OT: The Pauser

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A few days ago, I ended up going into a rabbit hole of old sportsradio shows that I would listen to in bed on school nights.

Inevitably, I ran into a segment where the Pauser co-hosted Don Taylor's Late Night Sports Grill on CKNW.

Love him or hate him, I always thought Pauser was entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this.

I know pauser left this world a long time ago, but does anybody recall having any interactions with him?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The pauser was entertaining as f ! I didn’t agree with the way he spoke his mind at times though but he was hilarious, at the same time intelligent, knew hockey and often blew his own temper.

I remember him being warned by don that he needs to calm down or he will mute him the pauser than lost his shit “don’t you dare mute me ! You mother” than he gets cut off 😂😂😂😂.

He often grilled brian Burke. He didn’t like the cloutier trade. He’s a funny guy.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Paul LAFLEUR Obituary​

Published by Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from Oct. 31 to Nov. 1, 2009.
LAFLEUR Paul Paul, age 60, passed away in hospital October 26 after a lengthy illness. Predeceased by his parents, he is survived by his brothers; Maurice, Robert and Ted, and their families. Known as The Pauser, Paul will also be remembered and missed by many old friends and hockey fans. No service at this time.

The OG

Reactions: wetcoast

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I actually don't think I knew that Pauser (the poster) and Y2KCanucks were the same person, but it explains a lot.
Imagine if they were twins.:skeptic:

Dan Russell had a story where pauser cornered a rookie at training camp, and gave him the business with the finger pointing and told him he would amount to nothing.

That player was Jim Benning.
Jim Benning, the NHL player, was actually fairly respectable. A pretty solid #4.

Jim Benning, the NHL GM, was trash.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Dan Russell had a story where pauser cornered a rookie at training camp, and gave him the business with the finger pointing and told him he would amount to nothing.

That player was Jim Benning.
Pauser was at Leafs tc? I always thought he was a bit of a dick so being a closet Leafs fan would explain a lot.
Then again Dan Russell was a bit of a dick, and totally full of shit, so now I don't know what to believe.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pauser was at Leafs tc? I always thought he was a bit of a dick so being a closet Leafs fan would explain a lot.
Then again Dan Russell was a bit of a dick, and totally full of shit, so now I don't know what to believe.

Yeah I shouldn't have said rookie. My bad

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
A few days ago, I ended up going into a rabbit hole of old sportsradio shows that I would listen to in bed on school nights.

Inevitably, I ran into a segment where the Pauser co-hosted Don Taylor's Late Night Sports Grill on CKNW.

Love him or hate him, I always thought Pauser was entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this.

I know pauser left this world a long time ago, but does anybody recall having any interactions with him?

He was an absolute idiot.

What about Troy from White Rock? Another infamous caller.
Another douchebag

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
For all his big opinions I would have never pegged him for being a "cheer for Edmonton because they're Canada's team" kind of guy, but he was.

He was the kind of guy who'd piss and moan about Naslund being a soft Swede...and then get caught getting a selfie with him at a Best Buy autograph signing.

He was very much a fair weather fan.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If I remember correctly, Pauser's last call was when he threatened to come down to the radio station and beat someone up. I can't remember if it was Dan Russell, but it was a pretty memorable moment on the radio.

The last time I remember hearing him was when he called Russell a puke. I think he went into the penalty box a long time after that and Russell would gloat about it.

He was often critical but he seemed to have an affinity for the smaller guys like ronning and Steve kariya. I think he would have enjoyed today's brand of hockey.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I remember, but memory is fading. Sedims for olli jokinen + who? Was this the guy who was the lawyer and gave long and pedantic legal responses? Or am I confusing it with another poster?

Last edited:

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I remember, but memory is fading. Sedims for olli jokinen + who? Was this the guy who was the lawyer and gave long and pedantic legal responses? Or am I confusing it with another dikwad?
I seem to recall Pauser wanting that trade as well. The lawyer with the the long responses was Wetcoaster IIRC.

Reactions: jd22

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I seem to recall Pauser wanting that trade as well. The lawyer with the the long responses was Wetcoaster IIRC.
Ahh yes. Wet was not at all as bad. . Apologies to him for the confusion. When I listened to the vid in the op voice reminds me of Phil Hellmuth

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Ahh yes. Wet was not at all as bad. . Apologies to him for the confusion. When I listened to the vid in the op voice reminds me of Phil Hellmuth

Sadly, Interestingly, I think they have both passed away now, if I heard correctly over the years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad