OT: The Pauser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
A few days ago, I ended up going into a rabbit hole of old sportsradio shows that I would listen to in bed on school nights.
This is actually my entire history with sports radio as well: listening to it in bed around the ages of 10-14. I loved the team, and everything in the adult world was still serious and substantial and didn't automatically bring a picture to mind of its real proportions -- it never occurred to me that a sports radio show was just a handful of dudes talking about basically nothing. The few times I got the nerve up to call in I was apoplectic with fear and awe.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
besides don Cherry, Mark Spector and these anti Canuck hacks saying shit, whats the dumbest thing you guys remember hearing a professional host say?

If I remember, Dan Russel not liking the Sedins being picked and suggested we should have went with Pavel Brendl and Jumie Lundmark or something, if I remember correctly.

Dave Hodge going on his soapbox at the end of That's Hockey and saying that Steve Yzerman was finished, that he was embarrassing himself by continuing to play at the level he was at, and that if he had any pride he should retire.

This was in 1995. Steve Yzerman was 29 years old. He would play for 11 more years and win 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, a Selke, and have a 1st team AS selection after Dave Hodge thought he should retire.

As for the Pauser (radio caller) for some reason none of his opinions have stuck in my head nearly as well as his his creepy crush on Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I mean, have you seen vintage Stevie, though? Holy
Yes, a lot of people thought his career was essentially over in the mid-nineties. I've always hated the shaming of players because they are adjusting their game to injuries and want to continue to play. It's not up to people like Hodge whether Yzerman's concerned about his "legacy" or whatever, let alone whether he should turn down millions of dollars and the only job he's ever had so other people's memories of him aren't diluted. Of course, nearly 100% of Yzerman's legacy was built later on by how well he played within those limitations.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
As for the Pauser (radio caller) for some reason none of his opinions have stuck in my head nearly as well as his his creepy crush on Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac.
He never realized that the hosts kept putting him on because he was insane rather than because they were interested in his opinions. In retrospect it's impossible to account for all the industry connections he claimed to have but I assume he just buttonholed anyone associated with the team that he ran into.

I'd be curious whether anyone on these boards ever met him or saw him at any team function.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
I always thought he was Tony Gallagher when I listened to him on sportstalk. I imagine they look very similar.
To me Gallagher had no integrity and that was from a personal conversation with him many years ago. I have little use for most media people. There are a few that are solid but the rest are terrible.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dave Hodge going on his soapbox at the end of That's Hockey and saying that Steve Yzerman was finished, that he was embarrassing himself by continuing to play at the level he was at, and that if he had any pride he should retire.

This was in 1995. Steve Yzerman was 29 years old. He would play for 11 more years and win 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, a Selke, and have a 1st team AS selection after Dave Hodge thought he should retire.

Didn't know about this or maybe I had forgotten about it.

I remember when they let Pauser have a guest show appearance, maybe a saturday late morning timeslot and I called in as I frequently did and then he hung up on me and went on a How the canucks should have signed Joe sakic as a FA tirade for nearly 10 minutes.

In my younger earlier listening days I thought he was a clown then later realized that he most likely had some mental health issues and was just a harmless loudmouth but then again people often say that about me as well.........

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Back when we had a few hockey games for posters, Y2K came and played. In person he was much calmer and reasonable than his postings. He also was not a strong player. IIRC the player who was strongest was Mr Canucklehead.
Funny what happens when you can’t hide behind a screen.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
No, it was Mr. C's relative. Although Mr. C was no slouch. I actually went out drinking with y2k a few times about a decade ago, I'd say his opinions are still very strong but all in all he's a good enough dude. He also took the pic of me at Cambie Bridge when Kes+Juice did their road hockey game during the lockout.
Pretty sure Mr.C was OP as well, although my now elderly brain has limited memory.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I don't know but growing up in the 90's before everything was online so you just had print media and shows like "That's Hockey" on TSN to get your hockey info, I was left with an impression that much more than you'd see today the media had this faulty logic that 'there's players (stars) you win the Cup with and players that you don't' based pretty much entirely on whether said player has won the Cup before or not. Steve Yzerman and Ed Belfour would be the main examples that come to mind.

This is Dave Hodge here with a blatant example of applying that logic.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Pretty sure Mr.C was OP as well, although my now elderly brain has limited memory.

Oh, no slight on Mr. C at all. Just his cousin's? hands really impressed me, especially with the between the legs on the goal line move he pulled top shelf. There was those two, my friend I brought (the second game), and the rest of us.

I am happy to report my skating is 10000 times better than last time. f***in bambi out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad