The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

airbud

Dec 24, 2019
We have a talented roster? lol

Maurice is not the one outshooting opponents every game and not finding the back of the net….
Or the one letting in garbage goals…he can’t control those. As far as I know.
Goldie said something tonight along the lines of when you take a lot of low % chances at the goalie it really gives them confidence and helps them get in a groove / find a rhythm, which really hits home considering this team makes every goalie look like an all-star.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
We are 1st in the league in shots per game by a huge margin. The difference between us and #2 is about the same as #2 and #8/9.

And meanwhile our shooting % is 31st...I don't think that's a coincidence.

For better or worse POMO's MO is spamming shots even if they are low danger.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
We are 1st in the league in shots per game by a huge margin. The difference between us and #2 is about the same as #2 and #8/9.

On the other hand advanced stats are saying that we should have won almost all of our games…

We’re missing our chances and/or having bad goaltending. Eye test say the same thing.

Last edited:

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

Just wait. Someone will bring the expected goals for numbers back up like it means shit after 20 games.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Idk man, while I’m not thrilled with Maurice how much is really on him. We are scoring enough to win, the puck keeps ending up in our net, and it’s mostly a personnel issue. Staals taking up ice time, Bob is a sieve. If I’m criticizing PoMo it’s because he won’t change personnel.

Reactions: Boothinator

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
While things are certainly disappointing so far, I can’t give an honest review or opinion on Maurice yet given that it’s one quarter into his first season, the fact that Barkov and Reinhart started off painfully slow, that Lundell has 1 goal, that we essentially swapped Duclair, Marchment, and Tippett/giroux for Colin white, cousins, and Eric staal, traded a top line D (for us, he was. Even though I don’t regret trading him) with no replacement in place. Essentially having Marc staal replace him. And neither goalie is consistently good.

Barkov will have to revert to the mean, same with Reinhart, same with Lundell, the high volume shots need to start finding their way in some how, goaltenders need to make a save somehow. Too many variables to simply put on one guy who isn’t even playing. Yes coaches absolutely play a role. Should he get some blame? Sure, absolutely. Should he get a lot of or most of the blame? I thinks that pretty unfair honestly

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The an outsider, picking up Maurice was a very strange move. He was terrible in the Jets and capitalized on none of his chances to make big runs a couple years back. Definitely not the guy you would expect a team who's looking at a possible Cup run to pick up.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
While things are certainly disappointing so far, I can’t give an honest review or opinion on Maurice yet given that it’s one quarter into his first season, the fact that Barkov and Reinhart started off painfully slow, that Lundell has 1 goal, that we essentially swapped Duclair, Marchment, and Tippett/giroux for Colin white, cousins, and Eric staal, traded a top line D (for us, he was. Even though I don’t regret trading him) with no replacement in place. Essentially having Marc staal replace him. And neither goalie is consistently good.

Barkov will have to revert to the mean, same with Reinhart, same with Lundell, the high volume shots need to start finding their way in some how, goaltenders need to make a save somehow. Too many variables to simply put on one guy who isn’t even playing. Yes coaches absolutely play a role. Should he get some blame? Sure, absolutely. Should he get a lot of or most of the blame? I thinks that pretty unfair honestly
Do you not see the giant list of items of issues with the team that you’ve listed and process that maybe it’s all connected? Like, Barkov started slow because of the system. Reinhart started slow because of the system. Lundell started slow because of the system. The Staal brothers are all here because of the system.

The only thing I don’t think you can trace to Maurice is something we already knew. Bobrovsky sucks and so does half of our D.

Reactions: Ippenator

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
To be honest replacing Mackenzie Weegar with washed up Marc Staal was probably the worst move. I dont mind moving on from Weegar but they couldn’t properly fill that void.

For that, I blame Zito.

With that said, I really don’t see what M. Staal offers that Carlsson can’t do. Carlsson is better offensively and is at-worst the same defensively as Staal. The choice to put Staal over Carlsson is stupid and is costing us on the back end.

That’s on Maurice.

I’ll take 100 year old Joe Thornton over Eric Staal. At least Jumbo was capable of generating some offense. Eric can’t really do anything

I know we’re cap strapped from the Yandle buyout but this seems like it could have been avoidable. Throwing multiple firsts away for rentals cut into our contending window and really hampered our ability to make any moves going forward.

This is the bed we have to lie in for going all in on a year just to experience one series win and then immediately shit the bed to Tampa

As much as I want to blame Maurice, I feel like there’s just as much blame to put on Zito

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
To be honest replacing Mackenzie Weegar with washed up Marc Staal was probably the worst move. I dont mind moving on from Weegar but they couldn’t properly fill that void.

For that, I blame Zito.

With that said, I really don’t see what M. Staal offers that Carlsson can’t do. Carlsson is better offensively and is at-worst the same defensively as Staal. The choice to put Staal over Carlsson is stupid and is costing us on the back end.

That’s on Maurice.

I’ll take 100 year old Joe Thornton over Eric Staal. At least Jumbo was capable of generating some offense. Eric can’t really do anything

I know we’re cap strapped from the Yandle buyout but this seems like it could have been avoidable. Throwing multiple firsts away for rentals cut into our contending window and really hampered our ability to make any moves going forward.

This is the bed we have to lie in for going all in on a year just to experience one series win and then immediately shit the bed to Tampa

As much as I want to blame Maurice, I feel like there’s just as much blame to put on Zito
I can 100% agree with this assessment.

Weegs had his brainfarts too but at least he compensated it with offensive contributions and otherwise decent defensive play. Biggest downgrade of all positions going from him to M Staal. Even Kiersted is better, although I am with you, I'd like to see more of Carlsson. I'd be fine with keeping M Staal as a big body for the POs... so yeah, this is all an PoMo.

The Yandle buyout clearly blocks any flexibility and lost us Marchment, as does Horny's contract. Concerning the replacements, White is actually one of the brighter spots on the team, Cousins is ok. Duke is the one who cannot be replaced currently - we have such few odd-man rushes and he has the best onetimer of our forwards on his off-wing on the PP.

One question I really would like to have an answer too is; do the Staals really have such a positive impact on our PK, and is this worth it since they hurt us so much on ES? I highly doubt it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We have a talented roster? lol

Maurice is not the one outshooting opponents every game and not finding the back of the net….
Or the one letting in garbage goals…he can’t control those. As far as I know.

You don’t?

Vegas had them as like top5 contender in the offseason.
There’s plenty of franchise to elite to great talent on the roster

As was mentioned last night they shot a lot but barely beat the high scoring chances in the game.
They are taking lot of easy shots.

& Maurice is married to playing E.Staal who’s the worst player in the league.
The pp is less than dangerous.

They were scoring at 120 pace pre deadline acquisitions last year with a coach who nobody respects here

This team is underachieving by a ton

Edit.
I have lot of issues with Zitos decisions in the last year but this is Maurice thread

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland

I agree 100%. Learning to win is a process. Hence, I didn't understand why to go all-in.

Those rentals where terrible decisions because they cost 1st round picks that could be helpful when trying to get some cap space. In addition to that we also lost Frankie Vatrano because Zito made room for Giroux. Frankie was such a nice guy who everyone liked and so happy when he scored a goal that it lifted everyone's spirits. Last season when someone wasn't able to score a goal, there were others who stepped in. Firing power was so deep. This year everyone is frozen most of the time. It cannot be only Hubie's assists that are missing.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I agree 100%. Learning to win is a process. Hence, I didn't understand why to go all-in.

Those rentals where terrible decisions because they cost 1st round picks that could be helpful when trying to get some cap space. In addition to that we also lost Frankie Vatrano because Zito made room for Giroux. Frankie was such a nice guy who everyone liked and so happy when he scored a goal that it lifted everyone's spirits. Last season when someone wasn't able to score a goal, there were others who stepped in. Firing power was so deep. This year everyone is frozen most of the time. It cannot be only Hubie's assists that are missing.
This is proving to be true. I still think Zito “had” to do it. It was a bet; he lost.

Maybe he shouldn’t have rushed to Tkachuk. But that’s how he is. Fast actions. Well, this season is looking like a bust so he has one more chance next season.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
You don’t?

Vegas had them as like top5 contender in the offseason.
There’s plenty of franchise to elite to great talent on the roster

As was mentioned last night they shot a lot but barely beat the high scoring chances in the game.
They are taking lot of easy shots.

& Maurice is married to playing E.Staal who’s the worst player in the league.
The pp is less than dangerous.

They were scoring at 120 pace pre deadline acquisitions last year with a coach who nobody respects here

This team is underachieving by a ton

Edit.
I have lot of issues with Zitos decisions in the last year but this is Maurice thread
You’re seriously going by betting odds? Lulzzz cmon dude

Everyone and their mothers knew and was telling us that our D was garbage, and guess what, it is. Yet people here had us a shoe in for the playoffs guaranteed no questions….

Yeah we have some elite players, but we lack depth compared to last year…

Yes sure, we do take crappy shots, but we also have grade A scoring chances and we fumble it time and time again. I just don’t understand how it’s any coach’s fault that Barkov only has 4 goals and we’ve lacked finishing.

I agree that sticking to the Staals is terrible. But is it really on him/final say on who gets sent up or down? Isn’t it Zito’s call? Zito is also the one pushing the Staals….at that point might as well have saved money and just have Levtschi, Hutsko, Deni, or Hepo. And have Kiersted on D.

But I disagree with you on the key points that we have an elite team at the moment, we simply lack the depth and it clearly shows….plus our biggest problems of crappy finishing, bad goals from goalies, and a crappy D there’s so much any coach can do.

Last edited:

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
On the other end, advanced stats are saying that we should have won almost all of our games…

We’re missing our chances and/or having bad goaltending. Eye test say the same thing.
I think the high shot volume is inflating some of those stats.

But agree bad goaltending might be the biggest issue.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
If he was the reason behind Eric and Marc Staal being here it's time to fire him.

Joking, but not really.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Do you not see the giant list of items of issues with the team that you’ve listed and process that maybe it’s all connected? Like, Barkov started slow because of the system. Reinhart started slow because of the system. Lundell started slow because of the system. The Staal brothers are all here because of the system.

The only thing I don’t think you can trace to Maurice is something we already knew. Bobrovsky sucks and so does half of our D.
Possibly it’s the systems but it’s hard to know whether it is or not. Reinhart had a shit ton of opportunities and couldn’t bury anything. That’s on him, not Maurice. Barkov looks lethargic before, he looked a lot more aggressive the past two games. Idk if he was getting over an injury or if the trade took a toll or whatever but he’s had chances too over that period. Maybe it applies more to Lundell but guys like luostarinen are doing just fine so it’s hard to know how much is with the player and how much is with the coaching.

Top players not burying chances, no more depth, and missing key guys like Duclair and Marchment and giroux for guys like cousins and white and staal, thinner D, subpar goaltending. It’s no wonder why we’re struggling. But only a quarter of the way into the season. There’s a reason why they play 82 games

Reactions: pantherbot

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
We're now at about the quarter pole of the season, so here's what I'm gonna say that I think is fair at this point:

Bill Zito has some responsibility for this team's current struggles, but the Panthers still have a very talented roster. Zito must be prepared to fire Paul Maurice at the end of the season. That's it. I know it's gonna look bad, I know there will be egg on his face, but if the team misses the playoffs, a change will need to be made.

The worst mistake this team can make now -- if this season continues the way I think it's going to continue -- will be to let personal feelings interfere with competitive reality.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
The old adage, good goalies make coaches look good, bad goalies get coaches fired. Can't really properly assess Maurice with our goaltending right now. I think the team's looked better this season than their record.

I mean just look at this game vs. CBJ. Only on here are people saying we sucked. They were lucky to win and we didn't get any help in net. You can say low percentage shots or whatever all you want, but we are outplaying the other team. In the CBJ thread people are complaining we only had 6 high danger chances versus 5 for CBJ at that point in the game, but like...doesn't that still mean we were outplaying them? If the players executed, then we should have been winning. The eye test showed we were playing better and so did the stats. Btw, we ended the game with 9 vs. 5 high danger chances, but the score was 5-3 against us.

This happens every night. You can argue maybe those stats are inflated or whatever, but even if you think our chances may not be that great, it at least means we're kind of outplaying the other team, which means you can't really blame the coach.

Btw, all those complaints about special teams, which was the main early criticism, I'm not hearing it now. PK is decent and PP % has improved a lot.

How about the players actually score on their numerous chances and the goalies stop some pucks? Our PDO is 0.975, tied for second worse in the league (interestingly the Flames are the worse). I'm not citing this to say we've just been unlucky, I'm also saying the players need to score and the goalies need to stop some pucks.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We're now at about the quarter pole of the season, so here's what I'm gonna say that I think is fair at this point:

Bill Zito has some responsibility for this team's current struggles, but the Panthers still have a very talented roster. Zito must be prepared to fire Paul Maurice at the end of the season. That's it. I know it's gonna look bad, I know there will be egg on his face, but if the team misses the playoffs, a change will need to be made.

The worst mistake this team can make now -- if this season continues the way I think it's going to continue -- will be to let personal feelings interfere with competitive reality.

Completely disagree and that would be such a Panthers knee jerk reaction. You have to evaluate the team based on what Maurice can and can't do. He's not going on the ice to score and stop pucks. He's also not going to change the cap issues. He gets the team he's given, gives them guidance, but it's up to them to execute.

We can't keep changing coaches. And it would be extremely premature to fire him unless it's very clearly Maurice being the problem, which it's not. Maybe it is, we can't say for certain, but there's no way you can say with certainty that Maurice is the problem when you have the players not executing. They are being put in position to succeed, that's all a coach can do.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg

1669047259831.png

• Wow
Reactions: 16Skippy

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I wouldn't mind moving on from Maurice because he's proven over his 20+ year career to be an extremely mediocre coach, but I don't think anything he's done this year warrants his dismissal. Plus, Zito would have massive amounts of egg on his face if he fires Maurice at year's end, it's not going to happen unless we end up 32nd in the league.

The thing is we all knew going into it that this season would be bad. Maybe not no playoffs bad, but we baked in the lower expectations, and no doubt so did management and ownership.

Reactions: pantherbot

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah I don't get the argument about poor shot selection or whatever. Shoot a lot, with some lower % shots or shoot less with higher %, whatever gets the job done. Our offense isn't the problem. We're ranked 5th at GF/60 at 5v5 and our PP has started to trend better. Are we really going to say that's bad?

Our defense is also similarly showing good metrics. The clear issue is goaltending and some select players not executing well (I'm looking at you Staal bros, especially Eric).

Attachments

• 1669047753151.png
    1669047753151.png
    84 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad