The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
God, Dater really knows how to beat a good story into the ground.

I'm sure Duchene will love to see the headline about him ripping his former coach. Even though that's exactly what he was doing without actually saying it.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Leafs fan, coming in peace. I have a question about Matt Duchene. Has he ever played wing in his career, including junior and internationally? He's definitely earning himself a spot on Canada's olympic team, but I'm curious to see where we'd fit, as he'll likely be behind Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, etc on the C depth chart. I'd love to find room for him in the top six if he keeps up his play.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Leafs fan, coming in peace. I have a question about Matt Duchene. Has he ever played wing in his career, including junior and internationally? He's definitely earning himself a spot on Canada's olympic team, but I'm curious to see where we'd fit, as he'll likely be behind Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, etc on the C depth chart. I'd love to find room for him in the top six if he keeps up his play.

He played Wing for the Avs during his debacle season in 11/12.

Didn't look good there at all. But he also played only 58 games that season, and even during those games, he was injured with ankle/knee injuries on both legs for 15-20 of those 58 games.

Its to be seen if he can play wing or not. But at the same time, with the way Duchene dominate in the faceoff dot. He might stay at C for Canada and they might try someone like Stamkos or Tavares on the wing instead.

IMO, a Stamkos - Duchene - MSL line would be pretty nasty. Duchene would compliment those 2 extremely well with his speed and all around game.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i have been thinking for a while that being at wing might be better for stamkos. not just bc he's not that good at faceoffs. though he has been getting slowly but steady better defensively.

tavares played wing during the lockout in switzerland. seemed to be doing fine.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Duchene could slot in with Crosby. Trains with Crosby in the summer, friends with him, and would be lethal with his speed on the big ice.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I am almost certain Duchene has played wing in international tournaments, even as recently as the WC this year. Duchene doesn't work well as an NHL winger but on big ice in an international tournament is a completely different story. I really think they've been grooming him for that wing position for team Canada for quite some time.

NorCalAvsFan*

He has to be on TC..

If he isn't something is terribly wrong in Yzerman land.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
[NHL]264044[/Nhl]

Duchene talks a bit about playing wing here. Reading between the lines, that's definitely the plan.

Cool, thanks for the information. Any idea on which side he'd prefer/be better? Also, what do you guys see him as? A playmaker? A sniper? I notice he has quite a few more goals this season than assists.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Left wing becuase he shoots left? I'm sure Duchene would do anything they asked him to though. Duchene can be both a playmaker and goal scorer. He's mentioned he talked with Sakic about becoming more of a scorer and he's going to the net more. Before he'd have more assists than goals but this year he'll probably be more evenly split. It is incredible to think he has 9 goals already when he had 17 in a strong year last season.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Left wing becuase he shoots left? I'm sure Duchene would do anything they asked him to though. Duchene can be both a playmaker and goal scorer. He's mentioned he talked with Sakic about becoming more of a scorer and he's going to the net more. Before he'd have more assists than goals but this year he'll probably be more evenly split. It is incredible to think he has 9 goals already when he had 17 in a strong year last season.

Hopefully he's 50/50 split, it annoys me when players have more goals than assists.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hopefully he's 50/50 split, it annoys me when players have more goals than assists.

Because Maurice Richard (life time stats: 544-421=965) was a bum? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Just giving you hell...The Avalanche is no different from most teams in that they have a long history of over-passing and unselfish players. I'd really like it to have a few guys who want the goals (or at least to get our guys to want a few more themselves.) I've always hated seeing plays die because of over-passing. I know you're talking about the team Canada but in all honesty, I hope they lose. Bunch of self-important, entitled braggarts. :sarcasm:

GO USA!!! Hope Stastny lights them up!!!

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I'm rooting for my country in the Olympics but if Duchy cracks the Team Canada roster, I'm definitely rooting for him as well. It's going to be painful to see him score on us but good for him. Win-Lose situation. Same with Varly, Landy, Stastny and Johnson(maybe).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If Duchene played on the same line as Tanguay he'd never get an assist

This made me smile.

One thing I really like about getting Tanguay back now that he's older and a half-step slower is that he's not offsides near as much. I'm actually enjoying watching him each night right now. That wasn't always the case. He still needs to get a bit more greedy...but that seems to be something that all Avalanche players (not named Svatos) throughout history seem to grapple with.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm too lazy to search right now but may do so later unless one of y'all can provide the answers for me...Can anyone tell me what year the AVs had the most players involved in the Olympics...and then as a follow up (bonus question) what year we had the most countries represented?

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it is pretty much certain that at least one member of the Avalanche will be bringing home a medal, most likely Gold (and others)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad