The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think a #1/2 dman is a bigger need at this time, especially considering one is possibly available (doesn't happen as often as a top 6 winger).

Yes, the Avs forwards had trouble burying the puck in the net this year, but this same bunch has had good scoring success in the past. I expect them to score better next year, even if we kept the same forwards we have right now.

The defense, however, will not be better next year if we keep the same group of guys we have now. A #1/2 guy would bump the #3/4 guys down to where they belong, allowing #5/6 slots to be filled either by guys currently on the roster, or rookies (Elliott, Barrie, or Gaunce).

They most certainly need to add more firepower up front. The question is whether they need to break the bank in order to do so. My answer is no, they don't HAVE to get Parise to have a legit offense, and upgrading the offensive punch from the blueline will help in the scoring department anyway. What they can do is look for upgrades amongst the lower-tier scoring options available on the market. No, not Semin, but there are others.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But I think the fact that the Avs outshot their opponents by an average of 2 shots shows that, despite what happened the last few games, the transition game was not actually that bad. *This team was 8th in the league in shots/game *The D-men were getting the puck up to the forwards, and the forwards were generating plenty of shots, but the forwards were not finishing. *I agree with avs1dacup. *A winger that can just knock off the horsehockey and put the puck in the damn net is what this team needs most to be a contender this year. *That's not to say that getting Suter wouldn't be great, but I'd rather see a sniper winger if the Avs can't get both.

Whether or not Duchene and Mueller return to form, it will still hold that the sniper winger will be a bigger difference maker than EJ's partner. *Futhermore, relying on Duchene and Mueller boucing back sounds like a contingency plan to me. *If the Avs get a sniper who's a sure thing for 30+, that's better then getting a top D-man and relying on Mueller and Duchene bouncing back.

The lines you have up there are no different from this season. This team is in dire need of a 30+ goal guy.

Not all shots are the same. *Our team took a lot of low percentage shots, hoping for deflections and rebounds. *Not the worst thing to do when you lack skill or chemistry. *But a lot of those shots do not represent quality scoring chances.*

Our best scoring chances predominantly came from our transition game and the turnovers we forced, and the rare PP. *5-on-5 in the zone we often didn't keep the puck in the zone well enough to create quality chances. *With a guy like Suter back there 24+ minutes a game we'd be able to take our time the way we would on the PP, where we did create good chances and score well. Suter's passing alone will create more goals.

Mueller played well but was obviously gassed. *Now that he's past his PCS he can get that conditioning back and build on the 9 points he scored in our final 14 games. *Duchess will likewise have time together healthy. *I pray that Sacco buttbuddies These two players the way he did Radar and Lando. *They both have a lot to prove and compliment one another's style of play. *

Add the production that those two have shown they're capable of to they uptick in quality scoring chances created by Suter's presence, a little progression from the other guys and hopefully no **** linemate related early season stutters from guys like Jones and Staz, and that's an offense that'll score an above average amount of goals. *Which with progression of the D would make this very young squad a comfortable playoff team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The only people panicking about duchene are the opposing goalies and defenseman.

Winger's game yada yada bust, hockey Pejorative Slur, trade for Kulikov,Couture, Skinner, Bozak.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Remember when Leafs fans told us we should be grateful to trade him for Gardiner? :facepalm:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Remember when Leafs fans told us we should be grateful to trade him for Gardiner? :facepalm:

I'll never forget the poster(can't name him since I'd probably get in trouble) who told me Gardiner>Duchene, since Gardiner had just put up 30 points vs Duchene's 28.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
As easy it is to make fun of this thread now, Duchene played some truly ****** hockey a two years ago. He had two moves.

1) Drive the right side of the ice and throw a weak backhand right at the goalie.
2) Spin away from the goal into the corner where he would lose the puck.

I'm glad he's gotten stronger, better and smarter. Good Duchene is much more fun to watch than terrible Duchene.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As easy it is to make fun of this thread now, Duchene played some truly ****** hockey a two years ago. He had two moves.

1) Drive the right side of the ice and throw a weak backhand right at the goalie.

I'm glad he's gotten stronger, better and smarter. Good Duchene is much more fun to watch than terrible Duchene.

Yeah, a bad half year and people bashed him to no end. Wanted to trade him for scarps compared to what he is. The best part was the wingers game nonsense. People sure do know their hockey.:laugh:

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.

Now he does the same spin but towards the net.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, a bad half year and people bashed him to no end. Wanted to trade him for scarps compared to what he is. The best part was the wingers game nonsense. People sure do know their hockey.:laugh:

He was only tried on the wing for a few weeks during his deepest slump. He sucked as bad on the wing as he did as a center back then.

There is no reason he shouldn't be able to play on the wing, with the skill set he has. There is no reason to play him on the wing at this point.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

he had broked foot or something, give him a break..

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
We should trade him right now with his value being so high, I think we might be able to get both Gardiner and Bozak for him.

sarcasm bros

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He was only tried on the wing for a few weeks during his deepest slump. He sucked as bad on the wing as he did as a center back then.

There is no reason he shouldn't be able to play on the wing, with the skill set he has. There is no reason to play him on the wing at this point.

It was the he'll "thrive" at the wing position because he plays a wingers game nonsense I was talking about, even before his bad year there were claims he'd be better as a winger.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It was the he'll "thrive" at the wing position because he plays a wingers game nonsense I was talking about, even before his bad year there were claims he'd be better as a winger.

Without re-reading the thread because it's pointless re-arguing two year old stuff, I recall many who wanted to try him on the wing wanting to do it mostly as a temporary thing to break him out of the slump he had as a center and not as a permanent move.

This thread should probably be locked. We should have enough things to talk about without talking about what we talked about two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad