The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
3rd overall picks going back to 2000:

Forwards:
2011- Jonathon Huberdeau
2007- Kyle Turris
2006- Jonathon Toews
2003- Nathan Horton
2001- Alexander Svitov
2000- Marion Gaborik

Defencemen:
2010- Erik Gudbranson
2008- Zack Bogosian
2005- Jack Johnson
2004- Cam Barker
2003- Jay Bouwmeester

Some potential left with Gudbranson/Bogosian/Huberdeau I guess to be better than Duchene, but other than Toews/Gaborik I can't say Duchene hasn't/won't live up to the rest of those 3rd overall picks' careers.

Bogo can definitely be better. Bouwmeester I'd say is likely to. Duchene has lots to prove though still. Right now I'd say he'll only be definitively better than the busts in Barker and Svitov. He could conceivably never be better than Horton or even Jack Johnson.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
What i meant by that is he tries to do too much out there, more than he can handle. He gets the puck and always tries to face away from d-men and protect it, then do his spin moves to create space.

That's not a bad idea if you are a strong player. Forsberg did that all the time, but Forsberg could handle it because he was very strong, Duchene is not strong enough to always try that move.

Most of the time d-men end up knocking Duchene off the puck and that's why he has been ineffective. That's not his game, his game is speed and he should use it. If Duchene is trying to copy his game from someone, instead of being like Forsberg he should be more like Sakic.

You hardly ever saw Sakic back up into d-men, protect the puck, do spin moves and stuff. Sakic used his speed and his shot all the time, and that's what Duchene should be doing to be effective.

Good post. The reason Forsberg did this so well was he initiated the contact most of the time. I actually think Duchene is very strong on the puck and down low.

His issue is that he doesn't know how to use his body to guard the puck from opposing players. He always tries to do too much but eventually this will change. Some guys just pick up on this faster.

Heebs21*

this +1. dutchy will have a monster season next year and this thread will look dumb

This is true....after all, he has had a great season so far and should roll right into next season no problem.

Keep drinking the kool-aide, It's working well for you.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
He had a rough, injury-plagued season. One could say he had his "sophomore slump" a year late. It is ok to be frustrated, team.

But wanting to trade him? I do not understand.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rycroft just compared Jones injury season to Duchene's and said that Duchene will be ready to go next season. He also said that Duchene has 40 goal potential.

ryanMcEZ

Sep 22, 2011
Hamilton
He has played 3 seasons. He has had 2 good ones, and one bad (injury plagued) one. This thread is just dumb, why would there be panic about Duchene, he is freaking 21 people, CALM DOWN. This thread is purely created for pessimistic fans to boost their post count :shakehead

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
Yup, leave it to Avs fans to want to dump one of the brightest young stars in the NHL because he had poor numbers, largely due to injury.

That, my friends, is called going "full Pejorative Slur".

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
Rycroft just compared Jones injury season to Duchene's and said that Duchene will be ready to go next season. He also said that Duchene has 40 goal potential.

That is a valid comparison. And you have to agree, Dutchy has 40 goal potential. He needs to get healthy, and next season, needs to just simplify his game. Use his line mates better. Everything is gravy after that.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
That is a valid comparison. And you have to agree, Dutchy has 40 goal potential. He needs to get healthy, and next season, needs to just simplify his game. Use his line mates better. Everything is gravy after that.
If, by "use his linemates better" you mean, "not float", then I agree.

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
If, by "use his linemates better" you mean, "not float", then I agree.

Floating might have more to with injury than his actual game. When healthy, I don't notice the floating as much. What he does do is try to take over the shift by himself. He needs to use his wingers more often and find space where he can score from. He can be a puck hog and try to beat guys with spin moves, dekes, etc.

Just pass the puck if it isn't there Matt.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I seriously doubt anyone realistically thinks he would be traded. Been down that road with Drury and I doubt it will happen again. They've already made him one of the faces of the franchise in marketing. They're tied to Matt Duchene now, for better or worse.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I can see him getting healthy and having a bounceback. Maybe even improve. But I hope management doesn't expect him to be a star next season and match up against the top players on any team in the West. Maybe he can handle that job against Phoenix or Nashville. That's about it.

Lucky O Reilly and Stastny are still here and weren't short-sightedly traded. Just like trading Duchene would be short-sighted. He'll be a very good player in 3 or 4 years. Just gotta wait.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Any guesses on the amount of times the word "Potential" is said by Duchene's agent during contract talks with Sherman? I'm gonna say 57.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Yup, leave it to Avs fans to want to dump one of the brightest young stars in the NHL because he had poor numbers, largely due to injury.

That, my friends, is called going "full Pejorative Slur".

Everybody knows you never go full Pejorative Slur.

Check it out. Toronto Maple Leafs look Pejorative Slured, act Pejorative Slured, not Pejorative Slured. traded picks, cheated teams in trades. Autistic, sho'. Not Pejorative Slured. You know Winnipeg Jets. Slow, yes. Pejorative Slured, maybe. Thrashers records on their legs. But they charmed the pants off Bettman and won the relocation. That ain't Pejorative Slured. Boston Infantile, yes. Pejorative Slured, no. You went full Pejorative Slur, man. Never go full Pejorative Slur. You don't buy that? Ask Mike Milbury, 2001 NHL entry draft "Yashin trade" Remember? Went full Pejorative Slur, went home empty handed...

Freedom Elz

Mar 27, 2008
Wharryville, Idaho
He has played 3 seasons. He has had 2 good ones, and one bad (injury plagued) one. This thread is just dumb, why would there be panic about Duchene, he is freaking 21 people, CALM DOWN. This thread is purely created for pessimistic fans to boost their post count :shakehead

Yeah, this is just pure overreaction on the part of fans. I've seen some suggestions that the Avs should trade him straight up for Luke Schenn.

LOL. Now there is a real bust.

With the Avalanche season over we can look forward tp fake scout season beginning, it should be fun.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Dater indicated today that Duchene will have another MRI this week on his knee, and that there is a slight possibility he will require surgery.

Duchene was on pace for another 25 goal, 50+ point season before his knee injury, which would have put him among the team leaders. His second half of the season was disappointing, in no small part due to his knee and ankle injuries. He played at less than 100% when he returned late in the year.

I understand that people expected more, but the level of what seems to be anger toward him really surprises me. If he had been healthy but played poorly, I think the criticism would have more validity. Nevertheless, next season will be an important one for him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah, this is just pure overreaction on the part of fans.

Elz, the part about dumping him might be overreaction, but any observation of awful play is not overreaction. Duchene was simply terrible over the last half of the season. Not only his production, but he often floated at an Arnason-esque level. A very forgettable 2012 for that player.

I still believe he's going to be better at wing, with a net crasher on the opposite side.

-AB

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
Elz, the part about dumping him might be overreaction, but any observation of awful play is not overreaction. Duchene was simply terrible over the last half of the season. Not only his production, but he often floated at an Arnason-esque level. A very forgettable 2012 for that player.

I still believe he's going to be better at wing, with a net crasher on the opposite side.

-AB

Yeah, I don't think there's a single poster on these boards that will tell you his season was anything better than awful. The overreaction comes in trying to say that it's indicative of anything in his future, besides I guess maybe the contract he signs this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad