The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
We need to see the Preds about Craig Smith.

I doubt he's available at the moment. I know the two parties are close to $2 million in difference of opinion, but it's likely just a classic case of low-balling during the arbitration process. If you look at similar players that have put up around the same production in the amount of games he's played, only two of them make less than $3 million. The rest make north of $4 million and Saad makes $6 million.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Either Smith or Marcus Johansson would be such a big help. Anyone with a pulse offensively really.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
It seems some Leafs fans already think Rielly is the best young defenseman in the league. How can anybody be so delusional?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It seems some Leafs fans already think Rielly is the best young defenseman in the league. How can anybody be so delusional?

This is in another league, right? Some sort of ball hockey league that Ekblad and Klingberg aren't apart of?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Do you guys think that any of these remaining forwards UFAs could help out our top six/scoring problems.

Alex Semin-
Brad Boyes
Eric Fehr-
Lee Stempniak-
Jiri Tlusty-
Sean Bergenheim-
Mike Santorelli-
Derek Roy-
Curtis Glencross-
Marcel Goc-
Jarrett Stoll-
Tomas Fleischmann-
Martin Erat-
David Moss-
Michael Ryder-
Steve Bernier-
Stephen Weiss-
Scottie Upshall-

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Not a good area for us to throw stones. All that Rielly has to do is turn out better than Galchenyuk and we are the ones that end up "eating the raspberry comments". Better to just leave this topic alone.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Not a good area for us to throw stones. All that Rielly has to do is turn out better than Galchenyuk and we are the ones that end up "eating the raspberry comments". Better to just leave this topic alone.

Wait, what?

So what if Rielly turns out to be a better pick than Galchenyuk? Won't be the first, nor the last time the 5th overall draft pick is better than the 3rd overall.

However, how does that possibility change the fact that somebody really believes Rielly is the best young defenseman in the NHL. Imagine if Habs fans were parading Galchenyuk as the best young C/LW (whatever he is considered right now). It would be equally absurd.

Frankly, I'm not sure Rielly's even top 10 among them, depending on the cutoff age of young defensemen.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Either Smith or Marcus Johansson would be such a big help. Anyone with a pulse offensively really.

Who is the last most recent Hab forward to score (approx.) 10 goals in 20 playoff games?

Rene Bourque. But, that's ok...we didn't need him in the 2015 playoffs since our top 9 goal scoring ''squad'' was so sexy VS Tampa Bay without him. Management loves to put all emphasis on regular season success (ex: Markov), and not the most important season (the one that wins you the CUP if you have enough warriors willing to go to battle to win it all...and scoring can be important, as well).

CUP #25...here we come.

Last edited:

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Who is the last most recent Hab forward to score (approx.) 10 goals in 20 playoff games?

Rene Bourque. But, that's ok...we didn't need him in the 2015 playoffs since our top 9 goal scoring ''squad'' was so sexy VS Tampa Bay without him. Management loves to put all emphasis on regular season success (ex: Markov), and not the most important season (you know the one...the one that wins you the CUP if you have enough warriors willing to go to battle to win it all...and scoring can be important, as well).

CUP #25...here we come.

It's gonna come eventually, just probably not soon with this management.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Do you guys think that any of these remaining forwards UFAs could help out our top six/scoring problems.

Alex Semin-
Brad Boyes
Eric Fehr-
Lee Stempniak-
Jiri Tlusty-
Sean Bergenheim-
Mike Santorelli-
Derek Roy-
Curtis Glencross-
Marcel Goc-
Jarrett Stoll-
Tomas Fleischmann-
Martin Erat-
David Moss-
Michael Ryder-
Steve Bernier-
Stephen Weiss-
Scottie Upshall-

Where's Setoguchi?!:sarcasm::help:
(AHL? ECHL?).

Seriously...tough list (on top)...maybe a two-way contract to Semin?!
(or NHL minimum...$500 000?).

Two way contract?!:
Glencross? Fleischmann? Bergenheim? Bernier for our AHL team?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
It's gonna come eventually, just probably not soon with this management.

Price and Subban ''et compagnie'' (and the rest of players) will have to win CUP #25...despite the coach and management. Not always an easy task.

I'm hoping for season 2016-2017? 2017-2018 season? Or, season 2018-2019? (Hudon, McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen? Lernout? and I'm still hoping Tinordi blooms here...I would have given him a 3yr contract...Markov is finished (playoff zero), Emelin is gone (can't wait for NTC to end), Gilbert is trade bait?

Future (excluding UFA dmen):
Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Lernout-Juulsen
Pateryn

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

This. There are delusional homers from every team.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Wait, what?

So what if Rielly turns out to be a better pick than Galchenyuk? Won't be the first, nor the last time the 5th overall draft pick is better than the 3rd overall.

However, how does that possibility change the fact that somebody really believes Rielly is the best young defenseman in the NHL. Imagine if Habs fans were parading Galchenyuk as the best young C/LW (whatever he is considered right now). It would be equally absurd.

Frankly, I'm not sure Rielly's even top 10 among them, depending on the cutoff age of young defensemen.

Rielly is not the best young defenseman, but you can't deny he is looking good. If Rielly turns out to be even a top ten defenseman and Galchenyuk turns out to be "Bustchenyuk", razzing about Rielly will get you a ton of responses on "your team needs to learn how to draft". I don't want to suffer through that.

Let others think what they want and let sleeping dogs lie.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Rielly is not the best young defenseman, but you can't deny he is looking good. If Rielly turns out to be even a top ten defenseman and Galchenyuk turns out to be "Bustchenyuk", razzing about Rielly will get you a ton of responses on "your team needs to learn how to draft". I don't want to suffer through that.

Let others think what they want and let sleeping dogs lie.

I think one thing that can, and should be brought up is the fact the vast majority of their board was hoping for Galchenyuk themselves so the point is rather moot.

Rielly is looking good, but he's not in the same league as Ekblad/Klingberg/Jones.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I think one thing that can, and should be brought up is the fact the vast majority of their board was hoping for Galchenyuk themselves so the point is rather moot.

Rielly is looking good, but he's not in the same league as Ekblad/Klingberg/Jones.

Never said Rielly was ... but you would never be able to use the issue that "the vast majority of their board was hoping for Galchenyuk themselves". That would just be meaningless hearsay unless you could dig up 100 posts to prove it.

The point of my post is to not get into a pissing contest over something of no value but could be used as a comeback to raz us.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Never said Rielly was ... but you would never be able to use the issue that "the vast majority of their board was hoping for Galchenyuk themselves". That would just be meaningless hearsay unless you could dig up 100 posts to prove it.

The point of my post is to not get into a pissing contest over something of no value but could be used as a comeback to raz us.

It's really not hear say, I've been posting here since 2008. I remember leading up to the draft Galchenyuk was their "concensus" guy. Almost no one had Rielly on their radar. And once Chucky fell into our lap, a lot were hoping for Forsberg. A select few for sure had Rielly, just like some people here had Grigorenko or Dumba or someone else in mind.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I don't remember anyone hyping Burke.

I do remember people hyping Holmgren but really, in retrospect, were those moves actually that bad? The JVR trade is the only one I can put my finger on.. that was a brutal one but the trades for Carter/Richards were actually pretty good.

Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn.. they didn't either of those trades. They ended up being fair value. Pronger not being able to play anymore ended up being the issue.

Pronger is vastly under rated. He carried that 06 Oiler team to the SCF and then made that Philly team a contender every year until his concussions. He was such a fierce beast for being so skinny.

He literally made everyone better around him.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I give Nill credit for building the front end, as I give Bergevin credit for finishing the build on our back end. But being seduced by forwards and totally dismissing dmen is simply not how the game works. Teams get nowhere without a solid defence. Tampa didn't get to the SCF simply by scoring a ton of goals, they got through tight series thanks to an awesome defense led by Hedman. And they lost to a team with weaker offence and stronger defense. LA and Boston were built from the defence out, especially Boston. Without their D none of these teams come close to their Cups. Look back at Detroit and New Jersey. It's a strong defensive system, supplemented by decent offense.

Why not dismiss the goalie as well? After, he's only there to counter goals, just like the defence.

Yes, Nill is 'working on the D'. And Bergevin is 'working on the O'.
It isn't easy fixing either end, but we'll see which approach has worked out better in 10 months.

The difference is the cost. Bill can build the D later for cheap. Getting dmen is significantly cheaper than getting forwards. Nill built a formidable top 6 for fairly cheap. Considering you can get top 4 dman like Petry for a 2nd, I don't doubt that Nill will be able to build his D core over the next two years while he tinkers with his goalie situation.

All the Nill bashers are focussing on short term results instead of looking at long term and the cost to fills the holes you have. Habs are a #1 center and a top 6 winger away from a cup, both of which are extremely expensive.
Dallas might need two top 4 dman and a hot goalie.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Just for arguments sake, guys I can think of that I'd take over Reilly:

Olli Maata
Seth Jones
Hampus Lindholm
Aaron Ekblad
John Klingberg
Jonas Brodin
Rasmus Ristolainen