OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I liked the early 90s teams better. Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso and a few others were probably more fun to watch for various reasons than would befit their impact on the ice, although they were good players. And Bure was the most exciting player I've ever seen to this day, I still don't think I've seen another player who went into the teeth of a backcheck the same way. He did it nearly every time he had the puck and usually beat two or three players at least.

Was a little busy shitting my diapers. My mum love love loved Trevor tho

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I finally deactivated my Twitter account. It was always chaotic and full of garbage but I felt able to carve out a relatively sane and sometimes fun feed. Musk has turned it into a complete shit show.

Reactions: LordBacon

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Lotsa sensitive folks in this thread.
Oh hey internet tough guy.
I finally deactivated my Twitter account. It was always chaotic and full of garbage but I felt able to carve out a relatively sane and sometimes fun feed. Musk has turned it into a complete shit show.
Social media in general is just a giant shitshow.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
None of it is good. Just a place for a bunch of angry people to vent their frustrations in real life. You guys cool tho
Who'd thought Mike Tyson was a poet?:

Attachments

• mike.png
    mike.png
    906.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: LordBacon

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Properly off topic.

If you enjoy modern metal with screams and blast beats and symphonic elements... A Finnish band called Assemble the Chariots just came out with their debute album and its insane:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm going to a concert in Seattle at the end of July, staying the night etc. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for great restaurants or bars to try?

We're staying right by T-Mobile, lumen etc.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Properly off topic.

If you enjoy modern metal with screams and blast beats and symphonic elements... A Finnish band called Assemble the Chariots just came out with their debute album and its insane:

The guitar style on this song seems to be a close slowed down imitation of the better Be’lakor - Abeyance

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Properly off topic.

Man I gotta visit Finland some day, make a metal pilgrimage there

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'm going to a concert in Seattle at the end of July, staying the night etc. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for great restaurants or bars to try?

We're staying right by T-Mobile, lumen etc.
Chris Stapleton?

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Haha no but I'd love to see him live.

A much smaller scale show, the gaslight anthem.

smaller show at a smaller venue to me seems preferable

i'd way rather watch cs here at rogers arena(please don't graduate to bc place, chris) than one of seattle's behemoths

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
Haha no but I'd love to see him live.

A much smaller scale show, the gaslight anthem.
Love TGA, was bummed they weren’t coming here this tour. I hope their next album’s production and style is more like their cover of Ocean Eyes and less like most of History Books (which sounded more like Brian’s solo, folky stuff).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Love TGA, was bummed they weren’t coming here this tour. I hope their next album’s production and style is more like their cover of Ocean Eyes and less like most of History Books (which sounded more like Brian’s solo, folky stuff).

They played a good mix of their catalog. 6 / 20 were from history books. They absolutely killed it too and a smaller venue was intimate and made it so much better.

Also basically no stage banter besides a "how's everyone doing" just all music back to back.

Reactions: John Garretts KD

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I Just called my MIL? IDK, My brother is a f***ing idiot not marrying his partner. It is a tragedy. She's one of the few good ones. Such a good kid.

Yeah, I've heard that too many times for my liking "suck it up". I'm not of that type, though. When I see injustice, I call it out because it very could be me. I know we as men are conditioned to be a certain way, but I don't think that should make the "way" be so inacessible and such an island. I wish for #1, we checked in on each other more. And that we would be more honest as well.

I hate having gone through the past 6 months responding "Haha, yeah, good" instead of "I'm scared no one knows how I feel". That's difficult to do, even more so happening to be born with a penis, which is all we really are. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but I remember my eighth grade teacher saying the only person you can make fun of is a "straight white male, who has all capability." I think she was partially right, in that, that was socially acceptable. But, I'm a straight white male with all capability and no prospects. I AM Suffering. That doesn't seem like justice to me. I want justice for all. Brown, white, black, yellow, blue. All I've ever wanted is to live in a society that accepts us to our capabilities and not our history.

Y'know. All I've ever wanted to know is "Who are you?" and why are you that way? And can I make you feel better?
Truth is no one cares what about men's feelings.
and if you do open up to others, people often just make fun of ya.

"Suck it up princess, etc,"

It's no wonder men are 6 times more likely to kill themselves compared to women.

Usually I dont bother opening up even with my family, Im too used to being their "Shield" if you will. Society expects us men to be there for others (and honestly, I think we dont mind at all, we even get a sense of fulfillment from it) but very rarely we have times when we're feeling down as well yet we dont have a lot of people to talk to.
You know, I think this is really changing.

I'm a counsellor with a lot of male clients and I'm seeing the shift in awareness and consideration for men as being more than unfeeling automatons.

But some people's eco-systems and their own beliefs can shield them from this shift. I certainly still have clients who believe their only utility is that which they can provide materially.
But truthfully, there are a lot of relationships (using heterosexual example here, but can take any form) where there's a great distance because the female partner feels shut out, while the male partner feels like it's his responsibility to shut her out.
Most people want to be let in and allowed to be caring and supportive. Now, granted that if this runs against the grain of a 20 year relationship's dynamic, some conversations may need to happen to frontload this shift.

But at the end of the day, we are all still basically the children we were growing up. We mature and evolve, but we still have the same needs that were so apparent to us then. To belong, to matter, to be seen, to be treasured, etc.
Acknowledging that and moving towards that is actually strength.

I have had clients talk about how touchy feely people are now and how men didn't need to talk about their feelings back in the day. To which my response is, look how many of them were alcoholics, addicted to drugs, remote from their family, etc.
We all have trauma (many of us with a small t, some of us have capital T trauma), and we all need support.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Very well said, my friend. I often times feel like a "bridge" of sorts in the modern age. Was taught to be emotionally invulnerable, not exactly by my dad but he was a strong example. To say nothing of my more "traditional values". It was more the childhood bullying and social rejection by my peers that left me with a host of problems and strongly valuing loyalty. But then, I know being emotionally invulnerable is a problem now because I can't properly process/regulate/explain my emotions.

I said to my ex-wife earlier this year, I think the reason the whole Pride movement resonates with me is I have been learning that you can have intrinsic pride/acceptance in who you are, you're not perfect, and that's OK because no one is. But you can try, and you will fail because that is life.

I read somewhere that a lot of men's problems stem from lack of purpose or self-worth. We need to do better there. I think lots of shit that we were sold on as kids of what life should look like has shifted completely away, i.e. men being breadwinners, owning a home by 30, saving for retirement, retirement, etc. I think men my age see how unattainable all that is, and are in crisis which is why we latch on to anything that slightly resembles some sort of identity with politics, sport, and even celebrity culture. The tribalism is from a replacement of a sense of belonging in a society that we were not informed about.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
My last relationship was back in 2011, haven't pursued one since then.
I know what I am, more lust than love, I'm in it for temporary thrill of the sexual experience than the long term of a relationship.

I get bored of relationships, that's why I haven't had one since. I never had to free time to do anything I wanted too and always had to be 'there to support' the other half. What about me?

Reactions: LandfiII

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
You know, I think this is really changing.

I'm a counsellor with a lot of male clients and I'm seeing the shift in awareness and consideration for men as being more than unfeeling automatons.

But some people's eco-systems and their own beliefs can shield them from this shift. I certainly still have clients who believe their only utility is that which they can provide materially.
But truthfully, there are a lot of relationships (using heterosexual example here, but can take any form) where there's a great distance because the female partner feels shut out, while the male partner feels like it's his responsibility to shut her out.
Most people want to be let in and allowed to be caring and supportive. Now, granted that if this runs against the grain of a 20 year relationship's dynamic, some conversations may need to happen to frontload this shift.

But at the end of the day, we are all still basically the children we were growing up. We mature and evolve, but we still have the same needs that were so apparent to us then. To belong, to matter, to be seen, to be treasured, etc.
Acknowledging that and moving towards that is actually strength.

I have had clients talk about how touchy feely people are now and how men didn't need to talk about their feelings back in the day. To which my response is, look how many of them were alcoholics, addicted to drugs, remote from their family, etc.
We all have trauma (many of us with a small t, some of us have capital T trauma), and we all need support.
Very well said, my friend. I often times feel like a "bridge" of sorts in the modern age. Was taught to be emotionally invulnerable, not exactly by my dad but he was a strong example. To say nothing of my more "traditional values". It was more the childhood bullying and social rejection by my peers that left me with a host of problems and strongly valuing loyalty. But then, I know being emotionally invulnerable is a problem now because I can't properly process/regulate/explain my emotions.

I said to my ex-wife earlier this year, I think the reason the whole Pride movement resonates with me is I have been learning that you can have intrinsic pride/acceptance in who you are, you're not perfect, and that's OK because no one is. But you can try, and you will fail because that is life.

I read somewhere that a lot of men's problems stem from lack of purpose or self-worth. We need to do better there. I think lots of shit that we were sold on as kids of what life should look like has shifted completely away, i.e. men being breadwinners, owning a home by 30, saving for retirement, retirement, etc. I think men my age see how unattainable all that is, and are in crisis which is why we latch on to anything that slightly resembles some sort of identity with politics, sport, and even celebrity culture. The tribalism is from a replacement of a sense of belonging in a society that we were not informed about.

I don't know if I agree with this - obviously generalizing here and referring to heterosexual relations but I don't think women actually want emotionally open or expressive men. What they want are stoic men so this problem comes from the other side too

Show too much emotion as a man and it turns women off. Not saying its right but thats what happens in the real world sadly.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I don't know if I agree with this - obviously generalizing here and referring to heterosexual relations but I don't think women actually want emotionally open or expressive men. What they want are stoic men so this problem comes from the other side too

Show too much emotion as a man and it turns women off. Not saying its right but thats what happens in the real world sadly.
All depends on the woman. Some want their husbands or boyfriends to open up and will be a supportive partner. Others want them to but will think less of them afterwards. An even crazier group just want an ice cold manly robot to never show any emotion but passion (anger)

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3