OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Men's mental health awareness in this world is sorely lacking.

We were making headway a decade ago but I would say things have taken a dramatic shift post-COVID. There's way less empathy and the general populace is running on endless stress and frustration these days. There's more aggression on the roads and in common areas.

Health in general has taken a back seat. The system is so overwhelmed and resources are stretched so thin. There are resources but these are increasingly becoming reactive-based rather preventative.

I even notice employers backing off the mental wellness train.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Because we were taught to ‘deal with it’ and be ‘mentally tough’ and were ‘born with fortitude’ to be a man. But when emotions run its course, it’s a tiring process to keep up the charade.

I’m all for men’s mental health, it’s what keeps on keep up going everyday.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
We were making headway a decade ago but I would say things have taken a dramatic shift post-COVID. There's way less empathy and the general populace is running on endless stress and frustration these days. There's more aggression on the roads and in common areas.

Health in general has taken a back seat. The system is so overwhelmed and resources are stretched so thin. There are resources but these are increasingly becoming reactive-based rather preventative.

I even notice employers backing off the mental wellness train.

COVID will be seen as a flashpoint for societal unrest in the next few decades. Look up how much capital was gobbled up by people and corporations who didn't need it, except for the target of "eternal growth". From my two eyes, I see employers squeezing every last drop of utility out of the common worker with little if any remorse to be had. The brazenness is alarming, and the angriest of us are pointing the gun of fascism directly to our temple's. I sympathize with the anger, but not where it is directed.

@EpochLink

I believe you are a bit older than me (from what I've gathered from seeing you around here), but that really does resonate with me. Every day at school, everyone was "I wanna be a fireman, cop, etc. "or had heroes like Superman/Batman/He-Man....call me lame or whatever but my hero was my dad. With these 31yo eyes, you see the plainness and unremarkability of the man that would stand before you, but what is inside makes all the difference. This man, stayed up with me when I needed EKGs when I was a toddler...even acquiescing to my foolish demands to watch Jurassic Park (obsessed with dinos, yo). My mum wouldn't allow it, as she said I found it "too scary". Well, she was right hahaha.

Just yesterday, I found out that what he did was edit out all the scary, intense scenes and kept the rest of the movie. Motherf***er made a bootleg version of Jurassic Park for my drooling ass. He never, ever mentioned it. My mum did, 28 years after the fact. I have no idea what else he's done for me, a lot of it he'd never want any recognition for. Such as kicking some cockroaches away from my bar stool when I wanted to watch the Canucks in Hawaii in 2011. I wasn't told about that until after the trip, by my mum.

Tangent over, I was speaking to him and my mum about the pressure behind the idea of being a man. It's incredibly difficult to say you need help when you have that expectation in your head about what you should be capable of, even mentally. I am strong, I know that because I'm still kicking. But I'm sensitive as hell, as well. I don't know what it takes to be a man, "a dick and pair of balls" - The Dude...but men's mental health, and women's too... are a society problem. Not a men's problem, not a women's problem. It affects everyone.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
LF, that reminds me actually of something my mum sent me. God bless us, our whole family is trying to evolve into something less chaotic. All of the "G" Clan, (1 mum = 4 BOYS) we are so sensory but we are so emotionally numb as men to process that, which I think can f*** with our perception (of everything). It's funny, I'll get set off by the stupidest shit. And so do my parents. I think it's we try to be so kind we often delegate our own needs.

OT: I told my mum, and I feel this in my bones. That last season was the 2nd most enjoyable Canucks season to have watched next to 2010-11.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
IMG_1864.jpeg

I’m getting bored even changing my computer to a Canucks theme

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Truth is no one cares what about men's feelings.
and if you do open up to others, people often just make fun of ya.

"Suck it up princess, etc,"

It's no wonder men are 6 times more likely to kill themselves compared to women.

Usually I dont bother opening up even with my family, Im too used to being their "Shield" if you will. Society expects us men to be there for others (and honestly, I think we dont mind at all, we even get a sense of fulfillment from it) but very rarely we have times when we're feeling down as well yet we dont have a lot of people to talk to.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Truth is no one cares what about men's feelings.
and if you do open up to others, people often just make fun of ya.

"Suck it up princess, etc,"

It's no wonder men are 6 times more likely to kill themselves compared to women.

Usually I dont bother opening up even with my family, Im too used to being their "Shield" if you will. Society expects us men to be there for others (and honestly, I think we dont mind at all, we even get a sense of fulfillment from it) but very rarely we have times when we're feeling down as well yet we dont have a lot of people to talk to.

I Just called my MIL? IDK, My brother is a f***ing idiot not marrying his partner. It is a tragedy. She's one of the few good ones. Such a good kid.

Yeah, I've heard that too many times for my liking "suck it up". I'm not of that type, though. When I see injustice, I call it out because it very could be me. I know we as men are conditioned to be a certain way, but I don't think that should make the "way" be so inacessible and such an island. I wish for #1, we checked in on each other more. And that we would be more honest as well.

I hate having gone through the past 6 months responding "Haha, yeah, good" instead of "I'm scared no one knows how I feel". That's difficult to do, even more so happening to be born with a penis, which is all we really are. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but I remember my eighth grade teacher saying the only person you can make fun of is a "straight white male, who has all capability." I think she was partially right, in that, that was socially acceptable. But, I'm a straight white male with all capability and no prospects. I AM Suffering. That doesn't seem like justice to me. I want justice for all. Brown, white, black, yellow, blue. All I've ever wanted is to live in a society that accepts us to our capabilities and not our history.

Y'know. All I've ever wanted to know is "Who are you?" and why are you that way? And can I make you feel better?

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
OT: I told my mum, and I feel this in my bones. That last season was the 2nd most enjoyable Canucks season to have watched next to 2010-11.

i am unable to think of any candidates, honestly

one of the early WCE teams maybe could be an honourable mention or something

42 y/o here with my earliest remembered season being 90-91

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
i am unable to think of any candidates, honestly

one of the early WCE teams maybe could be an honourable mention or something

42 y/o here with my earliest remembered season being 90-91

I'm 31, my earliest season I remember was 03-04. My parents weren't hockey fans at all. My grandma told me of Bobby Kromm's exploits in Trail in the middle 1900s. "Kromm, Kromm, Kromm" she used to chant, back when she had vocal chords that worked. My mum made a bet with my dad's friend from TO in '94, that's about all I know or knew about hockey, back when I dove in in 2004.

My first hockey media gift was Don Cherry's "17", AKA Rock Em Sock Em 17. Dude, I idolized Doug Gilmour. I was a basketball player before this, knowing what it is like to face players who have a huge advantage over you. So that was my guy, and that was my attitude. "Leave with all 50-50 battles with you and the puck". **It all evolved from there. Forecheck relentlessly, and backcheck like the barn is on fire.

**- Often I would flail my arms in their direction, but later I came to just roast the f*** out of them. When I was sufficiently ANGRY.

Which is entirely symptomatic of the player I was and still am. Yo**u can shirk the role model, but not the way they played. Truth is, lover I am, I'll always be the 5 foot 8 bulldog who wants a piece of flesh of anyone and the story to bond after. If you are lucky enough to get that piece of flesh, you've got back-up for life.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Which I did NOT like, which is why I made the decision to quit. I am far, far, far, too competitive with your normal hockey players. I hope some day to develop the ...patience. I am 31 and I'll tell you what....All I ever wanted to do, is to teach those kids (11-15) they can do anything they set their minds too. I wish everyone had the childhood I had. And it wounds me knowing that isn't the case, because I think childhood is the purest thing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm old enough to remember that 1981-82 Canucks season. It pretty much went as most Canuck seasons went (I was around in 75/76 seasons but wasn't old enough to remember much of that period), "loveable losers/lunch-bucket crew". Then one "magical moment" (where Harry Neale & some players "greeted" the fans in Quebec City :laugh:) changed everything. Even though there wasn't a 'fairy-tale ending' it still has a special place in my memories (helped by it happening first for me before '94 & 2011).

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I liked the early 90s teams better. Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso and a few others were probably more fun to watch for various reasons than would befit their impact on the ice, although they were good players. And Bure was the most exciting player I've ever seen to this day, I still don't think I've seen another player who went into the teeth of a backcheck the same way. He did it nearly every time he had the puck and usually beat two or three players at least.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I have empathy for those who struggle

... but I have always been so very sane.

Ridiculously sane in fact... frightfully sane.

I have always tried to help the less fortunate

... but yeah, I sometimes have a hard time relating.

Just kidding, I'm as mad as a hatter!

Reactions: LordBacon

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I have empathy for those who struggle

... but I have always been so very sane.

Ridiculously sane in fact... frightfully sane.

I have always tried to help the less fortunate

... but yeah, I sometimes have a hard time relating.

Just kidding, I'm as mad as a hatter!

Hey, f*** you guy. :) hope that finds you well buddy. We all butt heads but we are just human trying to get the most out of this life.

Lotsa sensitive folks in this thread.

Turns out I’m softer than my own shit. O well hahaha

Reactions: Strangelove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad