OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I dont know if there's any cycling fans out there but Mark Cavendish just broke Eddy Merckx’s record with his 35th win. Kind of amazing for a 39 year old.

Not a huge fan, but they have a Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry in Pogacar/Vingegaard that makes the Tour worth watching.

Reactions: Frostage

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
I dont know if there's any cycling fans out there but Mark Cavendish just broke Eddy Merckx’s record with his 35th win. Kind of amazing for a 39 year old.

Not a huge fan, but they have a Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry in Pogacar/Vingegaard that makes the Tour worth watching.
Wow Cav did it! Amazing. He's always been exciting. I'm surprised he is still riding, I used to watch the Tour every summer but stopped due to the sheer time commitment. Still a fan though. Is Phil Liggett retired now? I know Paul Sherwen died a few years back and was sad to hear, those two were a pleasure.

In 2009 I was in Provence on a bike tour and we randomly stumbled into the Tour. I think it was in Les Arcs. Watching the Tour in person is sort of funny: you stand beside the road for two hours, sponsors throw things at you, wait a bit more, then the breakaway shows up. They go by in about 8 seconds, there's no time to really ascertain what team is which, and then the peloton bikes past. The chaos of the arrangement is frightening in real time. I was on the shoulder, not on the road, and I looked to my right, and there's this rider on the shoulder coming directly towards me. I had to jump into a ditch to avoid being hit by the guy. 10/10 would recommend seeing the Four once, though once is probably enough.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Wow Cav did it! Amazing. He's always been exciting. I'm surprised he is still riding, I used to watch the Tour every summer but stopped due to the sheer time commitment. Still a fan though. Is Phil Liggett retired now? I know Paul Sherwen died a few years back and was sad to hear, those two were a pleasure.

In 2009 I was in Provence on a bike tour and we randomly stumbled into the Tour. I think it was in Les Arcs. Watching the Tour in person is sort of funny: you stand beside the road for two hours, sponsors throw things at you, wait a bit more, then the breakaway shows up. They go by in about 8 seconds, there's no time to really ascertain what team is which, and then the peloton bikes past. The chaos of the arrangement is frightening in real time. I was on the shoulder, not on the road, and I looked to my right, and there's this rider on the shoulder coming directly towards me. I had to jump into a ditch to avoid being hit by the guy. 10/10 would recommend seeing the Four once, though once is probably enough.

Sorry, I'm such a casual I have no idea who those two are!

Cool story! I would like to go see the Tour one day but Europe in sweltering July does not appeal to me lol.

Reactions: Nopefully

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
Sorry, I'm such a casual I have no idea who those two are!

Cool story! I would like to go see the Tour one day but Europe in sweltering July does not appeal to me lol.
Oh, those guys were the voices of the Tour! They were the greatest. So calm, wonderful background noise to have on.

Yeah, it was pretty warm in Provence...though not brutal. It’s really the humidity that gets you. We tended to take a siesta midday if the route permitted. Getting acclimatized to the heat does happen though, after a while. Following Provence the group of us (there was 5 of us) went to Corsica. At times it was +40C, though it was a dry heat so it was more tolerable. Then the Alps: Alpe D’Huez, Col de la Croix de Fer, and Col du Galibier. France is a wonderful country, particularly on bicycle. I’m not sure about now, what with all these far right parties becoming mainsteam, but when we were there the countryside was the greatest thing ever. Forget Paris, the Gorge du Verdon is really a major highlight.

I think travelling by bicycle virtually anywhere is one of the few realistic ways to travel, with accommodations being so expensive now. Campgrounds are subsidized in France…I could go on all day about bike touring lol. Thanks for the reminder the Tour is on! I think I’ll watch a bit tomorrow.

Reactions: Bubbles

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Wound back the clock on that one, too. Just fantastic work in the finale. So well-deserved.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Has anyone ever had the building management from their Apartment try & restrict the residents from using AC?

Kinda blown away to see signs like that before a scorcher like this weekend.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I vaguely remembering some news story about this (air conditioners being verboten in some buildings according to strata or something in certain older buildings) during the last major heat wave. Don't remember what became of that though (whether it was legal or not).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad