OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
We are not visiting for anything in particular. Our itinerary is basically:

Granville Island, Seawall, Yaletown, Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, and a day trip to Whistler,
I'm not sure the next time I'll be in the GTA, but I took in the Canucks games in Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal in 2020 and could see making the trip again one day as a friend lives in Ottawa.

So yeah, no pressure or anything, but what would you say would be the GTA equivalents for tourists of the places you are looking to check out in Vancouver? We had almost zero time in TO except for the game.

Enjoy your time here.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Vent post. Don’t wanna post on any media where people know me personally so I figure I’ll post it here.

I’m normally a very cheerful guy but I’m really losing it the last few days.

My wife was 8 weeks into pregnancy, one day she called me right after I got off work, talking in a very panicky tone and told me started bleeding pretty bad, we rushed to A&E, after the doctors performed examinations we were told it’s a miscarriage but as if that wasn’t enough there was also a chance of ectopic pregnancy.

Following the safety protocols and recommendations from the doctors, My wife has been in the hospital for the last 5 days and counting for easier surveillance and monitoring.

Fortunately she seems to be in a good condition physically so far but I can’t help shake the feeling she isn’t fine mentally despite my best efforts in cheering her up. This series of chaotic events really hit her hard and will likely take her more time before we plan for another pregnancy and related arrangements.

She is my sunshine and my world but I literally can’t do shit for her except for taking care of the house and visit her every day. I feel so f***ing useless. Much rather I’m the one lying in that bed in the hospital rn.

Sorry for bringing down the mood guys.
I really needed to vent.
My wife had an ectopic miscarriage. It sucks. Miscarriages in general suck and are way more prevalent than anyone thinks. I’ve read like 30% of pregnancy end in miscarriage.

I don’t really have any advice beyond what you probably already know. Just hang in there. The road has many bumps and hills. My wife and I decided we’d be excited each pregnancy even though we had the ectopic with our first try (and another miscarriage later), but we figured you may as well be happy when you have something to be happy about, and deal with any sorrow that may follow. You can’t control that. But know that this is a road many people have taken and are taking with you. For whatever reason it’s isn’t talked about.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
My sister just died.

I wrote about her in post #242. In a family that was never close, she was the anomaly. We were close and I loved her dearly. She died of complications from Alzheimer's. This was a shock to me. I thought she had a couple of more years left.

Her husband, Fitz, passed away in 2019 also due to complications from Alzheimer's. Now, Alzheimer's has also taken his wife, my sister.

In a family that was never close, they were the exception for me. They were special. They never looked down on me. They treated me with respect.

Photo taken outside my home in 2006. Me on the left on crutches, my sister, and my brother-in-law. My scowl is because they had just picked me up from the hospital after I had knee surgery and the morphine had worn off.

View attachment 883511

You're at peace now, Peni. I love you.
Sorry for your loss man, losing somebody you love is as tough as it gets.
Rip

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I am grateful to the people willing to share their deeply personal stories in this forum. It connects us as human beings and hopefully offers some solace not only to the posters but anyone else who has experienced tragic events. My heart goes out to you @LordBacon and your wife. Please take care of both yourself and your loved one.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Vent post. Don’t wanna post on any media where people know me personally so I figure I’ll post it here.

I’m normally a very cheerful guy but I’m really losing it the last few days.

My wife was 8 weeks into pregnancy, one day she called me right after I got off work, talking in a very panicky tone and told me started bleeding pretty bad, we rushed to A&E, after the doctors performed examinations we were told it’s a miscarriage but as if that wasn’t enough there was also a chance of ectopic pregnancy.

Following the safety protocols and recommendations from the doctors, My wife has been in the hospital for the last 5 days and counting for easier surveillance and monitoring.

Fortunately she seems to be in a good condition physically so far but I can’t help shake the feeling she isn’t fine mentally despite my best efforts in cheering her up. This series of chaotic events really hit her hard and will likely take her more time before we plan for another pregnancy and related arrangements.

She is my sunshine and my world but I literally can’t do shit for her except for taking care of the house and visit her every day. I feel so f***ing useless. Much rather I’m the one lying in that bed in the hospital rn.

Sorry for bringing down the mood guys.
I really needed to vent.
Mate, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's so bonkers how common things like this actually are and yet no one talks about it. Sounds like you're there for her, which is the most important thing you can do when it seems impossible to process the twists that life throws at you. Women need to feel they have a support network embracing them in a crisis, so if you're thinking you're at a loss, try to find people for her to talk to that have been through similar situations.

Sometimes being resourceful will be as helpful as your actual presence and words. I can really relate to that feeling of uselessness when someone you love is in peril, and it effing blows. I tend to pride myself on my ability to figure things out and resolve issues, so I'm surprised how frustrated and lost I can feel when I fail.

The most terrifying thing I've ever experienced was watching my wife go through a very unexpectedly difficult labour, the pain, the desperation, the look in her eyes to me to save her. And me being totally helpless other than calling the midwife, doula, getting her to the hospital, being as organized as possible, keeping her present. The tangible things were all I could do. Sometimes that's all you can. The power of life just carries you off.

That delivery and birth didn't go well, and what she and I experienced as a result is something I still haven't shared on these boards. It's too much. Now though, she's pregnant with the second. We're thrilled... and terrified. And it took a long time to decide to even do it. If you ever want to talk about that my inbox is open.

I was so naive. It never occurred to me that a pregnancy or delivery could go wrong in the modern world. I met so many people afterwards that changed my views on everything. Not sure how I could have come to terms with it all if I hadn't.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
To add some levity, I got heartbreaking news last Thursday from an old HS friend. His ex who I thought was a total smoke show was into me when she still lived in Vancouver.

f***in helllllll I wish I wasn’t who I was back then but oh well eh hahahaha

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Mate, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's so bonkers how common things like this actually are and yet no one talks about it. Sounds like you're there for her, which is the most important thing you can do when it seems impossible to process the twists that life throws at you. Women need to feel they have a support network embracing them in a crisis, so if you're thinking you're at a loss, try to find people for her to talk to that have been through similar situations.

Sometimes being resourceful will be as helpful as your actual presence and words. I can really relate to that feeling of uselessness when someone you love is in peril, and it effing blows. I tend to pride myself on my ability to figure things out and resolve issues, so I'm surprised how frustrated and lost I can feel when I fail.

The most terrifying thing I've ever experienced was watching my wife go through a very unexpectedly difficult labour, the pain, the desperation, the look in her eyes to me to save her. And me being totally helpless other than calling the midwife, doula, getting her to the hospital, being as organized as possible, keeping her present. The tangible things were all I could do. Sometimes that's all you can. The power of life just carries you off.

That delivery and birth didn't go well, and what she and I experienced as a result is something I still haven't shared on these boards. It's too much. Now though, she's pregnant with the second. We're thrilled... and terrified. And it took a long time to decide to even do it. If you ever want to talk about that my inbox is open.

I was so naive. It never occurred to me that a pregnancy or delivery could go wrong in the modern world. I met so many people afterwards that changed my views on everything. Not sure how I could have come to terms with it all if I hadn't.
Pregnancy is the most exceptionally ordinary thing we do in our lives.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I'm not sure the next time I'll be in the GTA, but I took in the Canucks games in Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal in 2020 and could see making the trip again one day as a friend lives in Ottawa.

So yeah, no pressure or anything, but what would you say would be the GTA equivalents for tourists of the places you are looking to check out in Vancouver? We had almost zero time in TO except for the game.

Enjoy your time here.
Sorry for the late reply.

Hotels in the Toronto downtown core are super expensive as with any metropolis.

Toronto has a great food scene. Amazing Greek and Italian Restaurants. Also tons of ethnic food and greats spots. You can message me for specify recommendations.

If you haven’t been to Niagara Falls that has to be on your list.

Traffic in the summer in the downtown core is a big headache. Getting in and out of downtown is a problem.

Hotel wise if not downtown I would stay in Etobicoke or even Mississauga. That’s about a 25 min drive from the downtown core. Mississauga has a great Indian/pakistani food scene. Probably the best in the whole of North America.

Canadas Wonderland in Vaughan.
Ripleys Aquarium downtown
Long walks along the lakeshore
High Park
You already know about the CN Tower lol
Yorkville area is a really nice walk
The Aga Khan museum
Walking along Queen street west
A blue Jays game is a must experience
St Lawrence Market
Kensington Market
Thermea day Spa in Whitby is a must visit in my opinion. Super relaxing and great restaurants.

I am a family man so I am out of touch with clubs and nightlife. Toronto has some amazing bars and great nightlife.

There are tons of concerts in parks all the time. Googling them willi get you there.

Hope this helps. Cheers. If you need any specific recommendations please message me.

• Love
Reactions: LandfiII

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Sorry for the late reply.

Hotels in the Toronto downtown core are super expensive as with any metropolis.

Toronto has a great food scene. Amazing Greek and Italian Restaurants. Also tons of ethnic food and greats spots. You can message me for specify recommendations.

If you haven’t been to Niagara Falls that has to be on your list.

Traffic in the summer in the downtown core is a big headache. Getting in and out of downtown is a problem.

Hotel wise if not downtown I would stay in Etobicoke or even Mississauga. That’s about a 25 min drive from the downtown core. Mississauga has a great Indian/pakistani food scene. Probably the best in the whole of North America.

Canadas Wonderland in Vaughan.
Ripleys Aquarium downtown
Long walks along the lakeshore
High Park
You already know about the CN Tower lol
Yorkville area is a really nice walk
The Aga Khan museum
Walking along Queen street west
A blue Jays game is a must experience
St Lawrence Market
Kensington Market
Thermea day Spa in Whitby is a must visit in my opinion. Super relaxing and great restaurants.

I am a family man so I am out of touch with clubs and nightlife. Toronto has some amazing bars and great nightlife.

There are tons of concerts in parks all the time. Googling them willi get you there.

Hope this helps. Cheers. If you need any specific recommendations please message me.
I have bookmarked this. Thank you for a fantastic reply!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I will be tending my resignation from my job tomorrow. After 12 years, I’m done.

I’ll enjoy my summer and have a good break of my mentals. I have money saved up, I’m good.
I first thought you were re-signing your position as a Mod on this board & thought not about feeling badly about you quitting but rather, you were paid?:sarcasm:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I will be tending my resignation from my job tomorrow. After 12 years, I’m done.

I’ll enjoy my summer and have a good break of my mentals. I have money saved up, I’m good.
Congrats, this is first step in escaping the matrix. It's a wild ride but so, so worthwhile.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully you got some references from some people you got along with before that step. Maybe even to the point of a reference letter of some sort.

I got references no doubt, even for the ones that have left years prior.
I had an old coworker use me as a reference and I went to bat for him, he got the job and was hired.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's my bach party and all 6 of us just got matching tattoos.

For context we were supposed to fly home July 1st. With the WestJet strike we got moved to July 4th.

I love Vegas...
If I had to add 3 days on to a Vegas trip... I mean I'd be excited but at the same time usually around when my trip is nearing an end I'm well ready for it to be over. Ie my body feels beat down.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
For those of who you haven't seen it go watch the series The Bear.

Fantastic series, probably one of the best I've seen in recent memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad