Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Now that we've had two lighthearted, silly episodes and two serious, dramatic episodes, the season feels in balance, like Season 1 was. It's just odd that they didn't alternate them (like they mostly did in Season 1) and that they put the silly ones at the start. This latest episode would've been a pretty strong season opener, IMO. I can only guess that they did it the way that they did because they still feel that the initial draw of the show is the comedy and wanting to appeal to MacFarlane's fanbase encouraged them to put the silly episodes first.

I don't know when McFarlane's romantic relationship with Sage began or ended. If it was pre-Orville, then it was perhaps a mistake to cast her on the show. I also don't know the circumstances surrounding her departure, apart from her Netflix gig, but it's disappointing to see a fan favorite leave. At least Sage's exit was handled with class.

I don't think that MacFarlane and Sage started dating until after Season 1 finished, since the rumors started to appear around late Spring or early Summer last year. I got a pretty good laugh out of the fact that, in the very next episode after his girlfriend left the show in a heartwarming send-off, MacFarlane was kissing the next woman to come along.

In Orville related news, Scott Grimes and Adrianne Palicki are engaged.

I didn't realize that they were dating, nor would I have ever guessed that they'd be a match. That probably explains why they had several scenes together in the latest episode and the final one ended with her character giving his a pretty touching compliment. I'm not sure that it would work for their characters to develop a romantic relationship, but I could see them becoming closer friends, such that they would interact and confide in each other more often (especially when the subject is Mercer).

Last edited:

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I don't think that MacFarlane and Sage started dating until after Season 1 finished, since the rumors started to appear around late Spring or early Summer last year. I got a pretty good laugh out of the fact that, in the very next episode after Sage left the show in a heartwarming send-off, MacFarlane's character was kissing and sleeping with the next woman to come along.
Thank you for the info. It does make me consider the last episode from a new perspective. Pretty funny timing on the new "in show" love interest. :)

I didn't realize that they were dating, nor would I have ever guessed that they'd be a match. That probably explains why they had several scenes together in the latest episode and the final one ended with her character giving his a pretty touching compliment. I'm not sure that it would work for their characters to develop a romantic relationship, but I could see them becoming closer friends, such that they would interact and confide in each other more often (especially when the subject is Mercer).
I didn't know about their relationship either until I read a blurb on twitter. I had to double check for confirmation, as I found their match a surprising one. Good for Grimes. I'd maybe suggest he's punching above his weight class in landing Palicki, but he's a funny guy and nice looking, I guess.

I think you and I are on the same page in preferring more dramatic episodes. I like some humor, but in smaller doses than season one. I could do without Norm MacDonald's blob character altogether this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A planet governed by astrology where they have concentration camps for having the wrong sign. Holy shit.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Its funny how this show that was started as a bit of a light spoof on Star Trek has become a really smart well written piece of science fiction.

In terms of the whole run of the show, this is probably going to go down as one of my favorite episodes.

Having a whole planet that is governed by astrological signs, where being born under the wrong sign dooms you to a life in concentration camps while being born under the right signs means a life of privileged and prosperity was an amazing premise to me. I've noticed that they've really dialed back a lot of the quirkiness of the show, they still have some solid moments of character humor that I really love, but they don't let it interfere with character development.

Even the effects have been boosted up a big notch. The solar sail deployment looked terrific. Even the simple scenes of the Orville orbiting the planet looked terrific.

Its funny that on Star Trek discovery they really labored under the guise of what is the Prime Directive. we can't do anything to influence the culture of this race, we have to go in under cover and lie about who we are. Meanwhile the Union just plows in and tries to make friends and announce that they're the welcoming committee to a larger galaxy.

I love how they aren't trying to replace Alara with another Alara. The new security chief Talla isn't as indecisive as Alara, she's definately got a harder edge to her and isn't afraid to jump into situations. I loved the scene where she grabs the doctor by the throat and holds him up on the wall.

Overall everything just works, right down the thinly veiled comparison to Nazi Germany where they replaced religion with astrology.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I liked it. The episodes where they encounter a new civilization and/or species always feel the most like Star Trek to me.

My only little criticism is that there were too many somewhat obvious arguments that were never made:
Mercer should've argued that returning the officers was the only way to make him and the ship leave. That's what the leader seemed to want above all else. Besides, I'm not sure why he would care if the officers became violent on the ship after it left orbit. It doesn't make much sense to keep the problem on his planet when he could send it out into space.

Mercer also should've argued that keeping the officers would make an enemy of the Union, which they definitely couldn't afford to do.

He could've also shown the Union records for both officers, which show no violent or unruly behavior.

Finally, an argument could've been made that Kelly and Bortus were not jiliacs (or however you spell it) because those constellations don't exist on Earth and Moclus.
Obviously, none of those would've worked because there needed to be a stalemate to provide the drama, but some or all of them could've still been brought up and shot down for the sake of closing holes. Still, being bothered by that wasn't enough to ruin the episode for me. I still enjoyed it.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
A couple of things.

This was a thinly veiled barb at religious prosecution and to an extent religious extremism

Even if you look at their uniforms with the Grey Color the high collars. The gathering in a public square to watch grandiose speeches, these people were nazi's prosecuting one segment of their society with concentration camps.

Also remember that their satellites weren't designed to study stars, but study star positions. So in their mind the constellations that took up their sky would be predominant in the whole galaxy in their perspective. Its similar to how human's would have reacted if Aliens came down in the 1400's and told them that the sun did not orbit the earth, but the earth orbited the sun.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This was a thinly veiled barb at religious prosecution and to an extent religious extremism

A problem with thinly veiled barbs is that they can sometimes lead to uncertainty about what, exactly, is being criticized. Was this episode criticizing religious extremism or religion in general? I doubt the latter, but I can't exactly rule it out. I would've liked the writers to have simply thrown in something like Mercer telling the leader "We have all kinds of beliefs in the Union, but we've learned to coexist peacefully and not force our views on one another." That would've assured viewers that their own beliefs weren't being attacked. Despite not doing that (unless I missed it), I didn't have a problem with the episode. It handled the subject better than last night's Discovery episode.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A problem with thinly veiled barbs is that they can sometimes lead to uncertainty about what, exactly, is being criticized. Was this episode criticizing religious extremism or religion in general? I doubt the latter, but I can't exactly rule it out. I would've liked the writers to thrown in something like Mercer telling the leader "We have all kinds of beliefs in the Union, but we've learned to coexist peacefully and not force our views on one another." That would've assured viewers that their own views weren't being attacked. Despite not doing that (unless I missed it), I didn't have a problem with the episode. I was more annoyed with Discovery's handling of a similar issue last night, mainly with Burnham's attitude toward the people's religion.
I interpreted it as an allegory for hatred of people for things that they can't control such as race, sexual orientation, where someone was born, when someone was born, etc. This was reinforced with me with the multiple lines by the crew that in the Union people are judged based on their actions and character and not when they were born.

It was also a criticism of religious dogma (for justifying hatred) and junk science with their entire society being based around astrology taken to the extreme.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
There's always holes to be found but, it was a good episode. Was that Ted Danson's first appearance? I don't remember seeing him before.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's always holes to be found but, it was a good episode. Was that Ted Danson's first appearance? I don't remember seeing him before.

There are always holes, but, ideally, the bigger ones would be addressed so that viewers don't spot them and lose their suspension of disbelief. That's all that my point was.

I thought for sure that I remembered Ted Danson making a cameo in Season 1, but IMDB says that this really was his first appearance. I must be remembering a cameo of his in something else.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I enjoyed the episode.
Then again, I didn't watch it trying to find some deep hidden meaning or agenda.
For me, it was just a TV show about some people in a spaceship, discovering a backwards star-worshiping planet.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I enjoyed the episode.
Then again, I didn't watch it trying to find some deep hidden meaning or agenda.
For me, it was just a TV show about some people in a spaceship, discovering a backwards star-worshiping planet.
It wasn't hidden at all, it was as obvious as the TOS episode where the one guy who is black on the left and white on the white is racist against the other guy who is black on the right and white on the left.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I enjoyed the episode.

I'm sure that a lot of people who are watching the show and haven't seen much Star Trek--maybe they're watching because they like MacFarlane--take nothing more from it, as well, and that's fine. Star Trek has always had a strong social allegory component to it, though, where it's simply a fact that the writers are commenting on real life issues in many of the episodes. That, in turn, leads fans to look for that commentary. This isn't Star Trek, but it's very heavily inspired by it, so it's a near certainty that the writers intend the allegory and, thus, Trek fans can't help but expect and notice it. Obviously, you don't need to notice it to enjoy the show. It merely adds an extra layer of depth.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm sure that a lot of people who are watching the show and haven't seen much Star Trek--maybe they're watching because they like MacFarlane--take nothing more from it, as well, and that's fine. Star Trek has always had a strong social allegory component to it, though, where it's simply a fact that the writers are commenting on real life issues in many of the episodes. That, in turn, leads fans to look for that commentary. This isn't Star Trek, but it's very heavily inspired by it, so it's a near certainty that the writers intend the allegory and, thus, Trek fans can't help but expect and notice it. Obviously, you don't need to notice it to enjoy the show. It merely adds an extra layer of depth.
MacFarlane is a huge fan of TOS and has done impressions of and referenced some of the more allegorical parts of the show in the past as well. Being a big Star Trek fan, it's hardly surprising that he has taken the same approach to The Orville where he is tackling current issues in a sci-fi setting. If only Star Trek Discovery had taken the same approach...

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
An interesting season.

Episode four is a perfect example of Didacticism. Truck sized holes (where did the pig people ship go when the Orville showed up?, etc.) because he wanted so badly to attack organized religion.

A form of experimenter bias if you will.

Then the astrology episode isn't as bad because he seemed to get it out of his system the previous one. It's too bad that he really got preachy this year but it's still enjoyable TV.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I have been low-key disappointed by this season. The first 2 episodes just felt like empty calories with sit-comish story-lines taking huge chunks of the episode without having anything thought-proving to say. Yes I know this show is partly a comedy but the best episodes of Season 1 were where they were raising interesting and thought provoking questions.

The 2nd episode esp had a kernel of a great storyline with that dying playing but played that as a B-story and focused most of the episode on the same Bortus joke which wore out its welcome after the first 10 minutes. Instead had they focused on the dying planet and the decisions that the survivors who were left there had to make, that would have made for much more compelling tv.

The 4th episode with Krill spy was one that I truly enjoyed from beginning to the end.

This last episode with the astrology planet had a great premise and a great concept but the execution was lacking primarily due to the gaping holes that people in this thread have pointed out. I am more than willing to suspend disbelief but the holes in this one were so huge that it constantly broke verisimilitude from me. That said I would take that kind of an episode any day over the first 2 of the season

I really hope it can get back to hitting some of the highs that Season 1 did. Please just back off the Bortus jokes, they are not funny to me anymore.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I have never seen any of the Star Trek series other than like 12 episodes of Discovery and have been inspired to check out some of the older series due to The Orville. I am thinking of starting with Enterprise as I assume it will look the least dated due to being the most recent and therefore be easier to get into. What do you guys think? Is that a good starting point? I fear if I start with the older ones I will not be able to get into them due to how dated they presumably must look

I agree with those say this show is a much better show than Discovery. I got close to the end of the 1st season of Discovery but never finished it (but plan to do sometime in the future). That show is a poor man's Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 version).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I have never seen any of the Star Trek series other than like 12 episodes of Discovery and have been inspired to check out some of the older series due to The Orville. I am thinking of starting with Enterprise as I assume it will look the least dated due to being the most recent and therefore be easier to get into. What do you guys think? Is that a good starting point? I fear if I start with the older ones I will not be able to get into them due to how dated they presumably must look

I agree with those say this show is a much better show than Discovery. I got close to the end of the 1st season of Discovery but never finished it (but plan to do sometime in the future). That show is a poor man's Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 version).
I would start with The Next Generation if you are looking for something that isn't too old, but be warned that season 1 isn't great and season 2 can be bad as well. The show is great from season 3 to 7.

The Original Series isn't that dated, sure the effects look old because it was made in the 60's, but most stuff was done fairly low key so you can watch entire episodes without things standing out too badly. The story telling is really good in most of the show, except for some of the weaker 3rd season episodes.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I must have been sleepy during this episode because I kept wondering how the crew got away with violating the Prime Directive.

I liked the episode, but it wasn't a standout for me. I'm okay with what I consider filler every now and then, as the show makes me feel good. I miss Alara and would prefer had she remained, but the new actress seems decent and has an edge to her personality.

I don't track ratings, but I read that The Orville has low numbers, and more so than the first season. I hope the show is renewed for a third season. I don't like that it airs head-to-head with Discovery. I guess many are like me and record the episodes. The article mentioned that delayed viewings are decent. As coveted a time slot as primetime Thursday has historically been, I don't want The Orville to remain there if it's not fairing well and bleeding out some of its audience to Discovery (which I assume has its own ratings challenges). Moving to another time slot is as likely a potential series killer. I hope MacFarlane's industry pull keeps the show on life support until it finds its audience. I want at least a five season run.

I'll echo the comments above and suggest beginning with Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's more in keeping with the look and tone of The Orville than Enterprise and is the template for The Orville more than any other Trek series. TNG has been restored and remastered (including some updated effects), so it's more pleasing visually than when it first aired. It shouldn't take much time to re-adjust to the show's 80s/90s filming sensibilities, as The Orville so closely mirrors its style. As mentioned, the first two seasons of TNG are painful.

Solid racist!
I've obtained several compromising photographs which prove you socialize exclusively with solids (save for what appears to be a drunk uncle, who could be argued is "blob-like" in both appearance and attitude).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

While I admit that Discovery's first season had a lot of issues, season two has gotten off to a good start. It's been very watchable/entertaining and episode two was probably the best in the series so far. IT's audio visually so much better than The Orville and Anson Mount has been a great addition as Pike.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

I would pick the best 5 of the Original series and start from there. The City on the Edge of Forever with Joan Collins is a must. Since there are only 79, it wouldn't be a big deal to view them all, but there are some duds. Here's a suggested list:
"The Enterprise Incident" - 'Star Trek': 20 Greatest Episodes from the Original Series

The Next Generation is very good, and gets better as the show progresses. Stewart is the best Captain IMO. The Cliff-Hanger at the end of season 3: "The Best of Both Worlds" will really leave you hanging. :laugh:

DS9 takes on a new approach as the series is based on a Space Station rather than on a ship. It's my favourite Star Trek Series. Worth the watch, again some Ferengi story lines are a bit much, but overall it's a great story from start to finish.

Voyager is so-so, it has it's moments, but Janeway can get pretty grating. It gets better when Jeri Ryan joins the cast as Seven of Nine.

Enterprise I couldn't get into for some reason. T'Pol is kinda cute though.

Discovery well, I have the new episodes but haven't watched them yet. Just goes to show how much I care for it. Whereas I couldn't wait the check out the Orville's.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I have been low-key disappointed by this season. The first 2 episodes just felt like empty calories with sit-comish story-lines taking huge chunks of the episode without having anything thought-proving to say. Yes I know this show is partly a comedy but the best episodes of Season 1 were where they were raising interesting and thought provoking questions.

The 2nd episode esp had a kernel of a great storyline with that dying playing but played that as a B-story and focused most of the episode on the same Bortus joke which wore out its welcome after the first 10 minutes. Instead had they focused on the dying planet and the decisions that the survivors who were left there had to make, that would have made for much more compelling tv.

The 4th episode with Krill spy was one that I truly enjoyed from beginning to the end.

This last episode with the astrology planet had a great premise and a great concept but the execution was lacking primarily due to the gaping holes that people in this thread have pointed out. I am more than willing to suspend disbelief but the holes in this one were so huge that it constantly broke verisimilitude from me. That said I would take that kind of an episode any day over the first 2 of the season

I really hope it can get back to hitting some of the highs that Season 1 did. Please just back off the Bortus jokes, they are not funny to me anymore.

They murder all those guards in a prison escape but the rulers let them go because their sign isn't violent anymore.

Sigh.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'll echo the echoing of starting with The Next Generation, since it's the template for The Orville. I would look it up on Netflix and start at the beginning of Season 3. Similar to The Orville and very much unlike Discovery, most episodes are self contained, so you won't have missed much. At some point in the future, if you become hooked and feel that you can take it, you can go back and check out Seasons 1 and 2 or the original series from the 60s.

don't track ratings, but I read that The Orville has low numbers, and more so than the first season. I hope the show is renewed for a third season. I don't like that it airs head-to-head with Discovery.

I like that I can watch Discovery and, then, immediately after, wash the bad taste away by watching The Orville.

They murder all those guards in a prison escape but the rulers let them go because their sign isn't violent anymore.

Sigh.

It was kind of funny in a lame way that they cut directly from the leader realizing that things must change to the officers being back on board the Orville. They took the easy out and left it to our imaginations because trying to write scenes in between would've highlighted the lack of believability.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It was a great episode, a perfect duplicate of a classic TNG episode.

McFarlane and Co are knocking it out of the park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad