Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's seems weird for Fox to renew an expensive show that they're not going to be airing on FOX, but I figured that the main reason for the renewal was to keep MacFarlane in the fold, and this still accomplishes that. I wonder if the episodes will be allowed to be a bit longer.

Could be. I also think that shows with modest-but-dedicated fan bases unfortunately make good candidates to put behind a subscription service.

I'm not sure if fans will follow the show to Hulu, but I can see an exec hoping that enough will.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Could be. I also think that shows with modest-but-dedicated fan bases unfortunately make good candidates to put behind a subscription service.

I'm not sure if fans will follow the show to Hulu, but I can see an exec hoping that enough will.
I actually started watching it on Hulu so it’s not a big deal to me. It’s unfortunate that it’s moving though because it’s such a great show. Maybe because I am a Star Trek fan I am interested in it but I feel that you don’t have to be a Sci-fi nerd to like it.

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Are they going to release all episodes at once? I probably wouldn't sub to Hulu until the season was done if they release weekly.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Adrianne Palicki and Scott Grimes are getting divorced after only two months of marriage. This is divorce #3 for Grimes.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
not something I would usually comment on but he seemed to be punching above his weight class on that one.
Agreed. "Odd couple" vibe.

I don't usually follow the gossip rag stuff either, but it was staring me in the face yesterday so I figured I'd share.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Agreed. "Odd couple" vibe.

I don't usually follow the gossip rag stuff either, but it was staring me in the face yesterday so I figured I'd share.

in this case though it's more information then gossip per say as you really do have to wonder how it will effect things on set. I learned the hard way not to dip my ink in the company pen, it's great while things are working but then can quickly get uncomfortable once they go south.

I'm a huge, huge Firefly fan, as it's either my favorite show or 2nd behind Twin Peaks (original, haven't seen the new ones, not sure I want to mess with a show that I love). I would watch the actors in their other shows and became a fan of the show Castle. He got involved with his co-star and it was said that they had to limit their time together on set because they couldn't stand each other and it ultimately led to the show being canceled although it was time to put it out to pasture anyway. So hopefully there is no impact from this, clearly not the same since there are several main characters whereas Castle was really just the 2 leads.

Reactions: Mimsy

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
in this case though it's more information then gossip per say as you really do have to wonder how it will effect things on set. I learned the hard way not to dip my ink in the company pen, it's great while things are working but then can quickly get uncomfortable once they go south.

I'm a huge, huge Firefly fan, as it's either my favorite show or 2nd behind Twin Peaks (original, haven't seen the new ones, not sure I want to mess with a show that I love). I would watch the actors in their other shows and became a fan of the show Castle. He got involved with his co-star and it was said that they had to limit their time together on set because they couldn't stand each other and it ultimately led to the show being canceled although it was time to put it out to pasture anyway. So hopefully there is no impact from this, clearly not the same since there are several main characters whereas Castle was really just the 2 leads.

Grimes and Palicki made ComicCon panel appearances recently, so it seems they're being professional about things. I agree that it's a gamble, however tempting, getting involved with a co-worker. There's too much at stake if things don't work out.

I only became aware of Firefly after it was canceled. Love the genre and the concept. I've never heard anything but positives about the show and know its fan base is rabid. I remember standing in Best Buy several years ago with a season copy in hand and placing it back on the shelf. If it ever appears on my streaming service, I'll watch.

Reactions: montreal

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Grimes and Palicki made ComicCon panel appearances recently, so it seems they're being professional about things. I agree that it's a gamble, however tempting, getting involved with a co-worker. There's too much at stake if things don't work out.

I only became aware of Firefly after it was canceled. Love the genre and the concept. I've never heard anything but positives about the show and know its fan base is rabid. I remember standing in Best Buy several years ago with a season copy in hand and placing it back on the shelf. If it ever appears on my streaming service, I'll watch.

I've never seen Firefly, but everything I've heard is good.

So I just bought the Complete DVD set for $5.00 on ebay.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's short due to it being canceled but it is a great show imo, there are a few weaker episodes but overall it's worth checking out if you even remotely enjoy sci-fi. It's a western set in the future where the US and China became the main language/culture so they mix in some Chinese words here and there.

Reactions: Mimsy

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
it's short due to it being canceled but it is a great show imo, there are a few weaker episodes but overall it's worth checking out if you even remotely enjoy sci-fi. It's a western set in the future where the US and China became the main language/culture so they mix in some Chinese words here and there.

I had no idea until I just now looked it up that Firefly, the entire series, is only 14 episodes. That's shocking, considering how often it's praised as one of the better series of the last 20 years. I pass on and put off a lot of series because of the time commitment required (ex. I still need to get around to watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot, since it's an intimidating 76 episodes). If I had realized that Firefly is so short, I would've looked into it earlier. I'm gonna join Bubba Thudd and watch it now (and follow it with the movie, Serenity).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I had no idea until I just now looked it up that Firefly, the entire series, is only 14 episodes. That's shocking, considering how often it's praised as one of the better series of the last 20 years. I pass on and put off a lot of series because of the time commitment required (ex. I still need to get around to watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot, since it's an intimidating 76 episodes). If I had realized that Firefly is so short, I would've looked into it earlier. I'm gonna join Bubba Thudd and watch it now (and follow it with the movie, Serenity).

Fox just totally blew it, they forced the creator of the show Joss Wheaton to air episodes out of order (the box set has the correct order) and just didn't seem to know what they had. For me even though it's so short it's easily one of the best things in Sci Fi as it's just so original and I love everything about it. The music, the cast, the writing, etc...

That said I also highly recommend BSG. I grew up watching the original BSG through re-runs in the '80's so I refused to watch the reboot due to them changing one of the best characters on the show to a woman. It just bothered me that they would make that change but I heard great things about it so I finally bought the 1st season on dvd while the last season was airing on tv. Holy shit was it good, while I'll always like Firefly more but the BSG reboot is easily top 10 all time favorite show for me.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
"Western in outer space" is exactly how Firefly was first described to me by a superfan in a nuBSG forum I used to frequent (in a small world kind of way).

I also highly recommend Ron Moore's BSG. The first two seasons were spectacular in their day. The third is solid, but with a subtle change in style (a few more standalone episodes). There was so much hype surrounding the final season that it had somewhat of a "Game of Thrones" Season 8 letdown for me, even though the quality is fine. Many of the fans I was interacting with online were making grand, multi-layered predictions about how things were going to play out. Many ended up disappointing themselves. I enjoyed the show more when I wasn't reading other people's opinions. It's worth watching for sure.

Reactions: montreal

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Hell yeah, I'll make some wings!

14 episodes...
...just enough to get to know and care about the characters, only to have it end.

Wait. Does it "end" or just leave the audience hanging, with no closure?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I don't know, but I think that the movie, Serenity, that was made a few years later is meant to provide some closure. It looks like it's on most of the streaming services, including Neflix, so we don't need to buy it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hell yeah, I'll make some wings!

14 episodes...
...just enough to get to know and care about the characters, only to have it end.

I don't know, but I think that the movie, Serenity, that was made a few years later is meant to provide some closure. It looks like it's on most of the streaming services, including Neflix, so we don't need to buy it.

correct, the show got canceled and the movie came out 3 years later to kind of wrap things up. There was always rumors that Joss Wheaton was going to bring it back and Nathan Fillion talked about it several times, he even once dressed as his character from Firefly on his show Castle for Halloween and had cast members appear on his show as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
correct, the show got canceled and the movie came out 3 years later to kind of wrap things up. There was always rumors that Joss Wheaton was going to bring it back and Nathan Fillion talked about it several times, he even once dressed as his character from Firefly on his show Castle for Halloween and had cast members appear on his show as well.

The fact that Serenity was a disappointment at the box office and lost quite a bit of money may've taken some of the wind out of the sales and hurt investor interest.

There is a reason why the security chief left. She and the star dated and when he broke up with her she left the show

If you're talking about Halston Sage and Seth MacFarlane, the timelines don't add up. The two were together in the middle of Season 2's production, after she had been written off of the show and her final episode (Episode 3) was filmed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The fact that Serenity was a disappointment at the box office and lost quite a bit of money may've taken some of the wind out of the sales and hurt investor interest.

If you're talking about Halston Sage and Seth MacFarlane, the timelines don't add up. The two were together in the middle of Season 2's production, after she had been written off of the show and her final episode (Episode 3) was filmed.

They were dating during end of season one

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They were dating during end of season one

Perhaps they were, but most of the rumors of them dating are from around June of last year, which was in the middle of production on Season 2. It makes it seem unlikely that she left the show before that because of him. She also returned to have a cameo in the season finale. It seems like the commitment to shooting a movie in another city is the more likely explanation than personal issues.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Is Firefly currently on Netflix Canada? I'll be reactivating my Netflix account in the not too distant future to watch season 3 of Stranger Things. I have Crave tv right now and have watched most of what I want to. I can't justify the expense of having both Crave and Netflix, as there is always loads of content on either service that I never get to and instead stick to niche shows.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is Firefly currently on Netflix Canada? I'll be reactivating my Netflix account in the not too distant future to watch season 3 of Stranger Things. I have Crave tv right now and have watched most of what I want to. I can't justify the expense of having both Crave and Netflix, as there is always loads of content on either service that I never get to and instead stick to niche shows.

This site says no: Is 'Firefly' available to watch on Canadian Netflix? - New On Netflix Canada (and the US version of the site says that it's not on US Netflix, either)

It's available on Hulu, though: Watch Firefly Streaming Online | Hulu (Free Trial)
It should be easy to watch all 14 episodes during the free trial month, so you could probably cancel the service afterward, if you want.

It's also available on Amazon Prime, but costs US $12.99: Amazon.com: Watch Firefly Season 1 | Prime Video

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad