The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think it's time for Ryan to retire, personally. Useful PK-er, but as of last season (2023-24) he wasn't really bringing anything else. Time has passed him by, I'm afraid. Had an awesome NHL career, though, considering how late it began!!

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
They already did. The problem for the Oilers is not the offense, but the defense and goaltending. And they improved neither today.

This is a yearly trend for the Oilers. Sign more goal scoring and try to outscore your defensive liabilities and poor goaltender.

Reactions: Hank Plank

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
They already did. The problem for the Oilers is not the offense, but the defense and goaltending. And they improved neither today.

This is a yearly trend for the Oilers. Sign more goal scoring and try to outscore your defensive liabilities and poor goaltender.
this narrative is getting old

the oilers made it to Game 7 of the Finals and needed more goals. A glaring need was scoring wingers

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You could probably flip him at the deadline for a 3rd with 50% retention haha.

We have the cap space and after Weegar/Andersson there isn't a whole lot of experience back there. I'd explore it. What would be the ask?

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
this narrative is getting old

the oilers made it to Game 7 of the Finals and needed more goals. A glaring need was scoring wingers
They are not going to get a cake walk to the finals every year. This year was an anomaly

They need to improve their d and goaltending. They will likely need to play good teams next year in the playoffs before the finals / teams with their starting goalie.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We have the cap space and after Weegar/Andersson there isn't a whole lot of experience back there. I'd explore it. What would be the ask?
I'd imagine the Oil would be willing to move him for next to nothing if they want to give Broberg more playing time and get the cap space required to keep McLeod and Kane.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'd imagine the Oil would be willing to move him for next to nothing if they want to give Broberg more playing time and get the cap space required to keep McLeod and

I'd take a 30 year old 5 goal 20 assist defenceman for future considerations. Get on it Conroy.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers D was top 5 in the league for best goals against under Knoblaugh/Coffey for like 70 games.

In the playoffs they allowed only 2.6 goals per game just a hair above Florida at 2.58. Those are very respectable numbers, better than some recent Cup winners even. Florida's D allowed more goals against in the Final than the Oilers D did.

The D was not the issue, I mean shit even with the roster they had they probably could have won if Draisaitl didn't have a broken rib + broken finger which rendered him a non factor in the Final. Canadian teams just cannot buy a bounce in game 7 SCF it seems like, even Flames fans will know a thing about that.

They added significantly to that team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd take a 30 year old 5 goal 20 assist defenceman for future considerations. Get on it Conroy.
Probably depends if Kane is on LTIR to start the year or not. They might keep him for insurance and look to upgrade mid season if that's the case. He'll likely be getting demoted to the 3rd pairing in favor of Broberg though.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Probably depends if Kane is on LTIR to start the year or not. They might keep him for insurance and look to upgrade mid season if that's the case. He'll likely be getting demoted to the 3rd pairing in favor of Broberg though.

Without Kylington signing here it would make sense.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The Oilers D was top 5 in the league for best goals against under Knoblaugh/Coffey for like 70 games.

In the playoffs they allowed only 2.6 goals per game just a hair above Florida at 2.58. Those are very respectable numbers, better than some recent Cup winners even. Florida's D allowed more goals against in the Final than the Oilers D did.

The D was not the issue, I mean shit even with the roster they had they probably could have won if Draisaitl didn't have a broken rib + broken finger which rendered him a non factor in the Final. Canadian teams just cannot buy a bounce in game 7 SCF it seems like, even Flames fans will know a thing about that.

They added significantly to that team.
You can do the injury thing for any team. If Demko is healthy, the Oilers are most likely out in round 2. If a few key Stars players were healthy likely round 3.

Injuries are a part of the game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You can do the injury thing for any team. If Demko is healthy, the Oilers are most likely out in round 2. If a few key Stars players were healthy likely round 3.

Edmonton played with plenty of injuries too. Drai had a broken finger and a broken rib and was questionable to even play some games but he’s a stubborn mule.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Cup winning goal was because of poor defense and goaltending.
Oilers scored 1 goal in Game 7…yes, defense was the problem 😆

Again, goaltending wasn’t Vancouver’s problem
Petey and Quinn Hughes went MIA

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think the Oilers beat all of those teams if all of those teams are healthy honestly. I'll take a trade of a 100% healthy McDavid + Draisaitl + Kane too if the Canucks have Demko, got no problems with that trade off at all.

The Oilers can play with anyone, they can defend, they can score obviously, now they have depth too. This isn't the Oilers of 4-5 years ago anymore. The coaching is much better, the defensive structure is way better, Bouchard is a budding All-Star now, Hyman was added, Ekholm was added, the PK and PP are both top notch.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Edmonton played with plenty of injuries too. Drai had a broken finger and a broken rib and was questionable to even play some games but he’s a stubborn mule.
We know that, it has been repeated about 1000 times since last Monday. We know Draisatl was injured.

My point was just Tkachuk and Bennett had significant injuries too. Vancouver almost beat Edmonton with a 3rd string goalie. The Stars had their best defensive dman playing through an injury and their best forward.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Yeah adding soft one dimensional Jeff Skinner and often injured Arvidsson doesn’t really do much for them. I mean I guess Mcdavid can carry them to the finals and then no show the important games at best.
Arvi is a gamer, hard not to love the dude even if he is a lil bit injury prone. when hes healthy he gives it all he's got

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad