Quenneville, Bowman, MacIsaac reinstated into NHL

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Delivering this on 1st July is a deliberate attempt to deflect some of the inevitable heat.

It is the same approach as how you bury bad news.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Delivering this on 1st July is a deliberate attempt to deflect some of the inevitable heat.

July 1st is the official start of the season so it makes sense that the decision becomes effective today. I don’t think it’s deliberate but it sure is very convenient that there’s much going on this day.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
July 1st is the official start of the season so it makes sense that the decision becomes effective today. I don’t think it’s deliberate but it sure is very convenient that there’s much going on this day.

It could have been publicly announced at any stage in the last few days or next few days but they chose today. It is very much deliberate in my mind.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

So it's a little less common now that we're in the age of social media, but yes - in the past the way to bury bad news was to release it on a Friday afternoon. It was probably too late to get picked up by the Friday night evening news or the Saturday papers, but by Monday it was "old news" and unlikely to get covered.

Of course now things are different with the internet. A story can go viral at any time or day or week.

But yes I agree - in the hockey world releasing the news on July 1st, which is free agent signing day, is as good a way as you're going to get to bury a story.

I'm mixed on re-instating these people. They way they dealt with the allegations was terrible - they prioritized the Stanley Cup run over anything else. That's just a gross set of priorities. But the question is whether that means they should never work in hockey ever again? Not as sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So it's a little less common now that we're in the age of social media, but yes - in the past the way to bury bad news was to release it on a Friday afternoon. It was probably too late to get picked up by the Friday night evening news or the Saturday papers, but by Monday it was "old news" and unlikely to get covered.

Of course now things are different with the internet. A story can go viral at any time or day or week.

But yes I agree - in the hockey world releasing the news on July 1st, which is free agent signing day, is as good a way as you're going to get to bury a story.

I'm mixed on re-instating these people. They way they dealt with the allegations was terrible - they prioritized the Stanley Cup run over anything else. That's just a gross set of priorities. But the question is whether that means they should never work in hockey ever again? Not as sure.
Personally, when it comes to stuff like ‘should they be excommunicated forever,’ I try to live by an ethos to not be more aggrieved than the aggrieved. Which is to say, what does Kyle Beach think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad