The Oilers are an old team

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
My concerns in order

Our D is worse now than game 7
Our g has not improved

Age of the forwards. Do agree it is an older group. But the key ones are young. If they can trade Kane or LTIR him that gives hollo some more space. A lot of us have forgotten about Xavier B too. He should be good for an injury callup or two! I wanted waisted but Xavier b is not a bust.

oilers have the exact same D as game 7..... and broberg and bouch are young and should still improve.

this was skinners second season in the NHL, he's very young, you don't think he can improve?

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Fine, no sarcasm anymore. From now on I will be the Hank Hill of hfboards. Instead of propane and propane accessories, it will be the New York Islanders and New York Islanders affiliates.
I don’t know what that means, but if it stops your whining about the cyclical working of all nhl teams (including the Islanders), great!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
oilers have the exact same D as game 7..... and broberg and bouch are young and should still improve.

this was skinners second season in the NHL, he's very young, you don't think he can improve?

Exactly, that experience is going to be huge for all three of those younger guys.

There's basically no situation they can be put into now that would be more pressure than what they've been through, you can't really get more into it than a game 7 Cup Final.

In general for a team, I think a Cup Final run just makes you tougher mentally.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don’t know what that means, but if it stops your whining about the cyclical working of all nhl teams (including the Islanders), great!
Not until Lou gets rid of the 23 year old version of Mike Hoffman without the consistent scoring.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
So, one player not living up to expectations is the reason for your miserable presentation?
Check my other posts. I’ve only bashed 2 things consistently about the Islanders. The over obsession of Wahlstrom (previously Josh Ho-Sang) and Lane’s inability to coach. I guess that’s miserable in your eyes.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Check my other posts. I’ve only bashed 2 things consistently about the Islanders. The over obsession of Wahlstrom (previously Josh Ho-Sang) and Lane’s inability to coach. I guess that’s miserable in your eyes.
It is when you interject your opinion into threads that have nothing to do with the islanders. Keep your disdain to relevant threads.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It is when you interject your opinion into threads that have nothing to do with the islanders. Keep your disdain to relevant threads.
You mean it’s not relevant related to a thread about a teams age when we’ve heard the narrative about the Isles being too old for how long? Settle down.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
You mean it’s not relevant related to a thread about a teams age when we’ve heard the narrative about the Isles being too old for how long? Settle down.
This thread is about the oilers.

1720564760249.jpeg

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
T
While that's true. Oilers average age was already past 30 this year (30,6 yrs at the time of cup finals) and obviously, bar changes, 31,6 next year.

That 31,6 yrs is about 4 years older than past cup winners for at least 16 years as another post showed in this thread, and in fact would make them by far the oldest cup winner since 1927(per reddit) by over a year.

Shaving the oldest players Perry and Ryan reduces the average age from 30,8 currently to 30,1 so there goes that argument.

It is a completely valid concern. Oilers should look to get younger but they will need to burn up any futures at this point as there will be lofty expectations going forward.
hats how ypu win cups unfortnually. 26-30 is the average to win a cup. So, there is that. The real superstars are young, so why complain. Holloway and Brobeeg playing important miniutes and is growing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I feel like actually they have some good younger players in the mix, not many teams have a 25 year old D that's developing like Evan Bouchard (25). Stuart Skinner in net got a lot of big game experience this playoffs at age 25. Philip Broberg showed well in the playoffs at age 23.

Dylan Holloway also got big game experience at age 23. They added Matt Savoie at age 21, he likely starts in the AHL but it's entirely possible he bumps older guys like Derek Ryan or Corey Perry out of the lineup in the later half of the season if the Oilers want to add more speed/youth to the roster.

They have three younger guys in Bouchard, Broberg, and Savoie who were all top 10 picks still, Bouchard more or less has arrived but has a long run way in front of him.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
T

hats how ypu win cups unfortnually. 26-30 is the average to win a cup. So, there is that. The real superstars are young, so why complain. Holloway and Brobeeg playing important miniutes and is growing.

Oilers are in a position where the peanut gallery will just crow about how the opposite of their current position will be the problem.

If they were a young team - "not enough experience, how will they stack up against the Vets in Dallas LOL!"

Pretty much every fan in Canada hates the Oilers, so finding the glass half empty view on any Oiler related issue is in their DNA. It makes me laugh to be honest, fans in Calgary and Vancouver in particular are especially obsessed and fixated even more than they were before. Being the bitch isn't easy.

Reactions: TheSecondSeason

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers are in a position where the peanut gallery will just crow about how the opposite of their current position will be the problem.

If they were a young team - "not enough experience, how will they stack up against the Vets in Dallas LOL!"

Pretty much every fan in Canada hates the Oilers, so finding the glass half empty view on any Oiler related issue is in their DNA. It makes me laugh to be honest, fans in Calgary and Vancouver in particular are especially obsessed and fixated even more than they were before. Being the bitch isn't easy.

Eh I wouldn't confuse HFBoards =/= broader Canadian fans, the Oilers have lots of fans in Canada and earned themselves quite a few more with that run this past May/June.

Even in Calgary I see a shit ton of little kids with McDavid jerseys.

Internet message boards are a niche of a niche these days, a far gone relic of the 90s internet predating social media and Tiktok and Instagram etc. etc. etc.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
My concerns in order

Our D is worse now than game 7
Our g has not improved

Age of the forwards. Do agree it is an older group. But the key ones are young. If they can trade Kane or LTIR him that gives hollo some more space. A lot of us have forgotten about Xavier B too. He should be good for an injury callup or two! I wanted waisted but Xavier b is not a bust.
How is the D worse?

Skinner may improve, he's still only 25 yrs old.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
The most important players are still in their primes

There is concern in the future. The group of Hyman, Ekholm, Nugent-Hopkins and Kane will need to be replaced. But, they are good now.
Yes, McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard are in their prime years.
My concern is the players, that you mentioned are not getting better or might regress or have bigger injury problems due to age. Additionally the oilers replaced younger contributing player with speed like Foegele and McLeod with older players (Jeff Skinner and Arvidson). I don't know much about Arvidson, but Jeff Skinner? This guy will not be a good playoff player.
So you basically just got older with your depth. Not even talking about Perry and Ryan.

On the other hand expecting much from Savoie next year will leave you dissapointed. He needs time in the AHL. He has good upside, but he won't contribute much next year. So I see his trade as good investment for year 3+, but the next two seasons McLeod will contribute more.
Holloway does not seem like have high enough upside to break out to make much more noise next year. Maybe I am wrong with my assessment about Holloway.

The age of a goalie is not important. They are so unpredictable. Bobrovsky was old. Though he was great. Skinner is imo good enough. Does it matter next year, if he is 25 or 33? Nope. I was talking about forwards and defense.

Overall I just said, that the oilers group got older and more likely to be injured.
Still time to add younger players, that are proven.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My concern is the players, that you mentioned are not getting better or might regress or be have bigger injury problems due to age. Additionally the oilers replaced younger contributing player with speed like Foegele and McLeod with older players (Jeff Skinner and Arvidson). I don't know much about Arvidson, but Jeff Skinner? This guy will not be a good playoff player.
So you basically just got older with your depth. Not even talking about Perry and Ryan.

On the other hand expecting much from Savoie next year will leave you dissapointed. He needs time in the AHL. He has good upside, but he won't contribute much next year. So I see his trade as good investment for year 3+, but the next two seasons McLeod will contribute more.
Holloway does not seem like have high enough upside to break out to make much more noise next year. Maybe I am wrong with my assessment about Holloway.

The age of a goalie is not important. They are so unpredictable. Bobrovsky was old. Though he was great. Skinner is imo good enough. Does it matter next year, if he is 25 or 33? Nope. I was talking about forwards and defense.

Overall I just said, that the oilers group got older and more likely to be injured.

People said Evander Kane was a bad playoff player too ... he scored 13 goals in 15 playoff games playing with McDavid in his first playoffs here, then suffered a horrendous skate cut to his arm. Being a winger for McDavid is a completely different animal.

That's part of the reason why Jackson isn't messing around, they have 4 top six forwards, which is two short of six. They need guys who will shoot the puck. Jeff Jackson went out and got exactly that.

Holland was nibbling around the edges and would've taken another 1-2 years to have a more sure bet with Kane's scoring not being reliable. Jackson got in done in 5 days.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My concern is the players, that you mentioned are not getting better or might regress or be have bigger injury problems due to age. Additionally the oilers replaced younger contributing player with speed like Foegele and McLeod with older players (Jeff Skinner and Arvidson). I don't know much about Arvidson, but Jeff Skinner? This guy will not be a good playoff player.

Tell me you didn't watch the Oilers in the playoffs without telling me you didn't watch the Oilers in the playoffs. Garbage playoff performances from McLeod and Foegele (the only two forwards that didn't meet bare minimum expectations) are a big part of the reason they aren't on the team anymore.

You don't know anything about Arvidsson (says a lot about your knowledge generally), and Skinner will just be a bad playoff player because you want him to be I guess.

"I don't really know anything about anything, but I can still definitively conclude the Oilers are worse because I say"

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My concern is the players, that you mentioned are not getting better or might regress or have bigger injury problems due to age. Additionally the oilers replaced younger contributing player with speed like Foegele and McLeod with older players (Jeff Skinner and Arvidson). I don't know much about Arvidson, but Jeff Skinner? This guy will not be a good playoff player.

Skinner outplayed Bob in the finals btw

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Nope, I have nothing against the oilers.
I am very neutral regarding the oilers.
I actually enjoy them playing, so I watched a lot of games.
Sure dude.....
"Next year the oilers will loose sometime in the first 3 rounds, depending on which teams they play. Not reaching the finals again. Draisaitl leaving - game over."

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Skinner outplayed Bob in the finals btw

I mean for games 4-6, yeah, game 1-3 no, game 7 was close but Bob ultimately allowed 1 less goal which is worth its weight in gold. Still Skinner is a 2.6 million dollar goalie, Bob is a 10 million dollar goalie.

That playoff experience will be key for Skinner, lets see how he grows from it. There's not many 25/26 year old goalies that can say they've played in multiple playoff game 7s including a Stanley Cup Final game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad