OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Post-punk produced many excellent bands from the Talking Heads to Joy Division. One band that gets looked over a bit, in my opinion, is The Cult. The band from West Yorkshire takes a lot of the cues from its contemporaries, but adds in a more metallic element into their music until they eventually became a heavy metal band. And a pretty kick ass one at that. An approach that began on their second album Love. An album that was a commercial success and coming out for the band, the music on Love is nice and tight, taking a lot of the post-punk sound and lyrics while matching it perfectly with the heaviness and catchy punch of heavy metal. From the catchy big hit singles of "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Rain" to second look gems like "Nirvana", "Big Neon Glitter", and the title track, it's a nice little precursor for what would come with their next two albums when they would go full heavy metal with Rick Rubin as their producer for Electric and then enlisting Bob Rock to produce Sonic Temple. Ian Astbury's vocals are phenomenal and even have a bit of Glenn Danzig and Jim Morrison sound to it, Billy Duffy's riffs are catchy, varied, and memorable, Mark Brzezicki does a great job filling in on drums after the band had to dump their original drummer Nigel Preston mid recording due to his worsening addictions, and Jamie Stewart's bass work keeps the whole thing together very nicely. Highly recommended and especially if you want to check out The Cult's later work.

Last edited:

Babajingo

Post-punk produced many excellent bands from the Talking Heads to Joy Division. One band that gets looked over a bit, in my opinion, is The Cult. The band from West Yorkshire takes a lot of the cues from its contemporaries, but adds in a more metallic element into their music until they eventually became a heavy metal band. And a pretty kick ass one at that. An approach that began on their second album Love. An album that was a commercial success and coming out for the band, the music on Love is nice and tight, taking a lot of the post-punk sound and lyrics while matching it perfectly with the heaviness and catchy punch of heavy metal. From the catchy big hit singles of "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Rain" to second look gems like "Nirvana", "Big Neon Glitter", and the title track, it's a nice little precursor for what would come with their next two albums when they would go full heavy metal with Rick Rubin as their producer for Electric and then enlisting Bob Rock to produce Sonic Temple. Ian Astbury's vocals are phenomenal and even have a bit of Glenn Danzig and Jim Morrison sound to it, Billy Duffy's riffs are catchy, varied, and memorable, Mark Brzezicki does a great job filling in on drums after the band had to dump their original drummer Nigel Preston mid recording due to his worsening addictions, and Jamie Stewart's bass work keeps the whole thing together very nicely. Highly recommended and especially if you want to check out The Cult's later work.

Saw them in the late 80s, I think? at GreatWoods. They warmed up for Billy Idol. We went for The Cult. It was pretty funny, they rocked. Really good. Then Billy came on, after about 1.5 songs, we left. He was horrible.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Saw them in the late 80s, I think? at GreatWoods. They warmed up for Billy Idol. We went for The Cult. It was pretty funny, they rocked. Really good. Then Billy came on, after about 1.5 songs, we left. He was horrible.

I actually did the same thing when Godsmack was touring with Motley Crue as a part of Crue Fest. We saw Drowning Pool, Theory of a Deadman, and then Godsmack. Then left after a couple of songs into Motley Crue's set. Not that Motley Crue was bad...just kinda meh.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I am hooked on Espresso by Sabrina Carpenter. Its a bop. The song is supposed to be a bit of a joke and it just blew up.

Oh and her aunt is the voice of Lisa Simpson.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I watched it on mute. Great video

I'm kidding though. The song is horrible, but catchy as hell and I hate myself for enjoying it.

Also no babe threads

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Going old school...American Graffiti so good and watch for Harrison Ford!

Watch for Charles Martin Smith, Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, Bo Hopkins, Candy Clark, Mackenzie Phillips, Paul Le Mat, Richard Dreyfuss, Wolfman Jack, and... Suzanne Summers.

A great, great film, directed by George Lucas,

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
We have ben crazy lucky to have an Inn near us that does a free concert series. They use it as a marketing tool to sell out the Inn and food/bev, below is the lineup. It has been fun to see some new bands. I am super pumped for Rev. Peyton and Larkin Po. Saw Peyton last year, guy absolutely shreds it live.

8 p.m. Wednesday, July 3, the Adam Ezra Group r
Better Than Ezra (Thursday, July 11),
Michael Glabicki of Rusted Root (Thursday, July 18),
Tab Benoit and Anders Osborne with the Mike Zito Band (Thursday, July 25),
The Record Company (Thursday, Aug. 1), the
Yonder Mountain String Band (Saturday, Aug. 3),
Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band (Thursday, Aug. 8),
G. Love & Special Sauce (Thursday, Aug. 15),
Enter the Haggis (Thursday, Aug. 22) and
Larkin Poe (Sunday, Sept. 1),

Ad

Upcoming events