Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Jackets big thing is wanting a #1C

For Jones they will be asking for Dach+

Honestly dont understand how Jarmo is keeping his job to be honest
Jones is one year away from UFA. Zero chance Jarmo gets that #1 future centre he’s looking for in a Jones trade.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Anybody interested in taking a gamble on Eichel for next season if he is made available? If so, what prospects would you part with? I would think the neck surgery will lower his price?

The tweet links an article where his situation is discussed:

Offseason Checklist: Buffalo Sabres
Determine Eichel’s Future

Jack Eichel has been in the news plenty since Monday following his end-of-season media availability where he expressed some frustration with how things have gone both on the ice and with regards to his medical situation. Ending comments with a desire to get healthy and play “wherever that might be” isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of Buffalo and stings a bit harder as their captain and franchise player.
Can this be fixed? At this point, they’re clearly hoping that they can and what happens with regards to whether he can get the surgery on his neck will certainly be part of those talks. If not, he’s going to be in trade speculation all summer long.
Eichel has five years remaining on his contract with a $10MM AAV. That will be difficult for teams to absorb but number one centers of his caliber rarely become available. Cap space is hard to come by but he’s the type of player that teams will find a way to make it work to bring him in, a task that will be made more difficult by the reality that getting Buffalo to retain on that contract for the next half-decade would be extremely difficult.
Also at play here is the fact that Eichel is a year away from having full control of where he could be moved to with a full no-move clause. The number of suitors in the 2022 offseason would be much lower as a result so if they can’t mend fences or sense that this discontent will be a lingering issue, the time to move him is this summer. More specifically, before the start of free agency when creating cap space will become more difficult as players start signing.

na, price will be too high

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Jones is one year away from UFA. Zero chance Jarmo gets that #1 future centre he’s looking for in a Jones trade.

One would have to think they would be allowed to talk to Jones to get a extension worked out just like the Turris trade. Even then it makes a big hole at C

edit: I hate typing on mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Anybody interested in taking a gamble on Eichel for next season if he is made available? If so, what prospects would you part with? I would think the neck surgery will lower his price?

The tweet links an article where his situation is discussed:

Offseason Checklist: Buffalo Sabres
Determine Eichel’s Future

Jack Eichel has been in the news plenty since Monday following his end-of-season media availability where he expressed some frustration with how things have gone both on the ice and with regards to his medical situation. Ending comments with a desire to get healthy and play “wherever that might be” isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of Buffalo and stings a bit harder as their captain and franchise player.
Can this be fixed? At this point, they’re clearly hoping that they can and what happens with regards to whether he can get the surgery on his neck will certainly be part of those talks. If not, he’s going to be in trade speculation all summer long.
Eichel has five years remaining on his contract with a $10MM AAV. That will be difficult for teams to absorb but number one centers of his caliber rarely become available. Cap space is hard to come by but he’s the type of player that teams will find a way to make it work to bring him in, a task that will be made more difficult by the reality that getting Buffalo to retain on that contract for the next half-decade would be extremely difficult.
Also at play here is the fact that Eichel is a year away from having full control of where he could be moved to with a full no-move clause. The number of suitors in the 2022 offseason would be much lower as a result so if they can’t mend fences or sense that this discontent will be a lingering issue, the time to move him is this summer. More specifically, before the start of free agency when creating cap space will become more difficult as players start signing.

I think we'd have to gut our pipeline to make it happen which would be a really bad idea.

If we were a contender, I'd go all in on Eichel and wouldn't mind mortgaging the future to win it all.

As it stands, the Hawks are rebuilding and they've got a long way to go. We need to hold onto as many picks and prospects as we can right now.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Like even consider how many OTs we won because David Kampf was out there to take faceoffs and the Hawks kept possession. Or imagine how much worse our PK would be without him.
I’ve literally been in an argument with my superfan friend for weeks now who thinks we should keep Strome, and he’s leveraging the fact I want to keep Kampf as some sort of sign that I’m wrong about Strome. At this point with who we have in the pipe for 3C(Borgstrom Suter Kurashev etc) and with Toews assumedly back, we really need Kampf more than Strome. Am I taking crazy pills?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I’ve literally been in an argument with my superfan friend for weeks now who thinks we should keep Strome, and he’s leveraging the fact I want to keep Kampf as some sort of sign that I’m wrong about Strome. At this point with who we have in the pipe for 3C(Borgstrom Suter Kurashev etc) and with Toews assumedly back, we really need Kampf more than Strome. Am I taking crazy pills?
Suter, Kampf, and Strome could all be gone next season

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Big D unless they are star material take longer ... it’s a footwork thing.
I’m keeping Z for his current money but probably moving on if he wants much of a raise.
Stillman is a keeper. Will be a solid 2nd pairing guy soon enough. Kalynuk is a top pair decent up front and pretty solid in his own end.
Here is where it gets tough.
Boqvist is a good offensive top pair guy IF he can learn at least passible defense and get some skating instruction.
Mitchell looks like he has tools but constantly made terrible decisions on the ice. He can be a good 2nd pair or a total flop.
Beaudin, is middling to me. Not as good offensively than the other 2 but seemed to be better (but not good) in his own end.

hard to project. These guys could be a solid core for a decade or ... not.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
As for Eichel, if mgmt guesses right on the D and in evaluating the future D who got no or limited time this year Chicago could put together an interesting packing of quantity.
One of Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin
One other young D man not named Kaynuk (or hopefully Kaiser). Suter, a young forward not named Hagel, a 1st rd pick.
That of course depends up a healthy return and Toews not returning.

enough?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
As for Eichel, if mgmt guesses right on the D and in evaluating the future D who got no or limited time this year Chicago could put together an interesting packing of quantity.
One of Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin
One other young D man not named Kaynuk (or hopefully Kaiser). Suter, a young forward not named Hagel, a 1st rd pick.
That of course depends up a healthy return and Toews not returning.

enough?

Pass on Eichel. For those assets (or maybe a little less, I think you could land a top pairing D from an expansion draft protection slot strapped team (Colorado, Carolina, NYI, or Philly). All the assets you list are expansion draft exempt which is a big deal to those teams

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Pass on Eichel. For those assets (or maybe a little less, I think you could land a top pairing D from an expansion draft protection slot strapped team (Colorado, Carolina, NYI, or Philly). All the assets you list are expansion draft exempt which is a big deal to those teams

A top-pairing D from Philly? They've got only one on the roster! The rest were constantly competing with each other over who joins Gustafsson in the press box.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
A top-pairing D from Philly? They've got only one on the roster! The rest were constantly competing with each other over who joins Gustafsson in the press box.

And why wouldn't you ask about Provorov? Sanheim is probably a more realistic target (assume they are looking for ice time for York and realize Ghost is going nowhere based on contract those 2 with Provorov are your LHD for a while). I get Sanheim is probably not a top pair guy (at least not on a contender), but he has been a 20 minute a night guy for going on 3 years and just turned 25 (which wouldn't be the first time a D blossoms into a little more at that age....see Keith, Duncan or Seabrook, Brent). Sanheim has not gotten much PP time in Philly and I think he could have some room to grow there (at the least a decent option for the second grouping). Obviously you are not paying that hypotheitcal package in the Eichel trade....but for Provorov I probably would offer our first, a dman prospect/youngin' and another decent piece.

Tell DeHaan he needs shoulder surgery and pay the last year of his contract for him to watch from home, walk away from Zadarov (unless he can be signed for something well south of his 3.6 qualifying number), and you could realistic add 2 actual NHL d men. I would say one via trade and another through free agency and you still have plenty of room to rotate through the cast of suspects....err....prospects in hopes of finding a couple that are actual NHL players.

If we don't do something drastic to figure out how to make Keith/Murphy our 2nd pair, we are going to suck and might as well burn it down and go full on tank. My assumption with new found cash from Seabs/Shaw LTIR we are not interested in a full on tank rebuild (also assuming Toews and Kane are on the roster)

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
And why wouldn't you ask about Provorov? Sanheim is probably a more realistic target (assume they are looking for ice time for York and realize Ghost is going nowhere based on contract those 2 with Provorov are your LHD for a while). I get Sanheim is probably not a top pair guy (at least not on a contender), but he has been a 20 minute a night guy for going on 3 years and just turned 25 (which wouldn't be the first time a D blossoms into a little more at that age....see Keith, Duncan or Seabrook, Brent). Sanheim has not gotten much PP time in Philly and I think he could have some room to grow there (at the least a decent option for the second grouping). Obviously you are not paying that hypotheitcal package in the Eichel trade....but for Provorov I probably would offer our first, a dman prospect/youngin' and another decent piece.

Tell DeHaan he needs shoulder surgery and pay the last year of his contract for him to watch from home, walk away from Zadarov (unless he can be signed for something well south of his 3.6 qualifying number), and you could realistic add 2 actual NHL d men. I would say one via trade and another through free agency and you still have plenty of room to rotate through the cast of suspects....err....prospects in hopes of finding a couple that are actual NHL players.

If we don't do something drastic to figure out how to make Keith/Murphy our 2nd pair, we are going to suck and might as well burn it down and go full on tank. My assumption with new found cash from Seabs/Shaw LTIR we are not interested in a full on tank rebuild (also assuming Toews and Kane are on the roster)
So you’re trading a 1rd pick, Beaudin or Mitchell and Kurashev or Entwistle for Sanheim?
Who 3 years from now likely won’t be better than Beaudin or Mitchell?
We are not contending next year.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
So you’re trading a 1rd pick, Beaudin or Mitchell and Kurashev or Entwistle for Sanheim?
Who 3 years from now likely won’t be better than Beaudin or Mitchell?
We are not contending next year.
Nope....I said obviously you are not trading that type of package for Sanheim. I would even hesitate for Provorov to give up that much but actually think about that depending on which D prospect they want (relative to our own internal rankings....say we love Beaudin and don't see it in Mitchell and they want Mitchell). I think it is hard from a fan prespective to know which D has more upside. Although the Hawks have a checkered history on young pro D evaluations....they will have a way better feel for work ethic/personality/competitiveness then we can see from just watching games.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
As for the young players in my humble opinion.
Defense:

I'm impressed with Kalynuk, Beaudin, and Regula. Good poise with the puck. Kalynuk especially looks like a real gem, great lateral movement.
Stillman, not so much. #6-7 guy at best.
Mitchell, not ready for primetime.
Boqvist, needs to stay healthy.

Offense:

Debrincat, stud.
Dach showing strides, needs to stay healthy and get meaner. He can dominate when he decides to.
Hagel, A+ A worthy Shaw successor
Kurashev, hustler with some skill. Looks like a long-term 3rd line center.
Suter, promising start. I hope he can build on it and be even better next season.
Strome. Well, bye.
Hardman, Entwhistle seem like justaguys.

Lankinen, promising.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. Just my impressions from a strange, short season.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Idk why people are so impressed with Beaudin. He's ok but in the same category as Mitchell to me.

Who is overly impressed? I think people just think they have something more potentially there and it’s way too early to give up on them.

Heck, even Bowman and Colliton only mentioned Kalynuk as impressing this season. I’m assuming they didn’t include Boqvist because he probably met their expectations.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Who is overly impressed? I think people just think they have something more potentially there and it’s way too early to give up on them.

Heck, even Bowman and Colliton only mentioned Kalynuk as impressing this season. I’m assuming they didn’t include Boqvist because he probably met their expectations.
RE: Bolded, that's what I took from it as well.

Kalynuk is also 24 and that makes a big difference. A lot of the younger guys could pass him.
I have Beaudin ahead of Mitchell because of age difference. I think there should be a lot more concern about Mitchell because he's already 22 and should have been NHL ready, and he wasn't.

I didn't know this but Regula is only a week older than Boqvist.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
RE: Bolded, that's what I took from it as well.

Kalynuk is also 24 and that makes a big difference. A lot of the younger guys could pass him.
I have Beaudin ahead of Mitchell because of age difference. I think there should be a lot more concern about Mitchell because he's already 22 and should have been NHL ready, and he wasn't.

I didn't know this but Regula is only a week older than Boqvist.
Isn't Regula the dark horse candidate? If he can do what he did in jrs (pmd and score some) and round out his defensive game, then with his size he would really shake up the depth chart, wouldn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad