THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People need to face the fact that NHL hockey is a mean game and It always has been. Some of the physicality has been taken out of the game and probably for the better but it's still there and we're coming on to the playoff part of the season where (lots of fighting or not) it's going to get ratcheted up and as the playoffs go on it will only intensify......the team that finally wins is always also the winner of a war of attrition. And playoff bound teams won't just look to get better by adding talent they'll look also as much to add physicality and depth to their rosters because physicality and depth is how a team deals with attrition. You're not going to win the Cup just with hockey skill.....the guy who wins the Conn Smythe is going to have a shit ton of it but below him on the roster are going to be others who battered and bludgeoned their opposition throughout.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

OysterForever

Feb 18, 2021
Not in Philly
People need to face the fact that NHL hockey is a mean game and It always has been. Some of the physicality has been taken out of the game and probably for the better but it's still there and we're coming on to the playoff part of the season where (lots of fighting or not) it's going to get ratcheted up and as the playoffs go on it will only intensify......the team that finally wins is always also the winner of a war of attrition. And playoff bound teams won't just look to get better by adding talent they'll look also as much to add physicality and depth to their rosters because physicality and depth is how a team deals with attrition. You're not going to win the Cup just with hockey skill.....the guy who wins the Conn Smythe is going to have a shit ton of it but below him on the roster are going to be others who battered and bludgeoned their opposition throughout.
I might get hate for this but pre-arranged and unspontaneous show fights have nothing in common with physicality in hockey. It's two completely different things to ask for a fight during warmups and give an occasional face wash with your glove after a whistle.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I disagree. I think the best way to judge the fight was a draw.

You think Reaves clearly won, but this "clearly in Reaves favour" isn't supported by the majority of the people.

The voting results on that page, with 220 voters is: 38% Reaves, 42% Rempe, and 20% draw.

This seems accurate.

And don't tell me that I don't know how to judge fights. I am a big boxing fan.

In fact, if anyone would have won this fight by decision, it would have been Rempe.

Didn't you see the way Reaves kept backing up, backing up, backing up for the first 75% of the fight?

In boxing, the fighter that keeps coming forward is viewed as the aggressor, and these fighters gain judge's points more than the fighter that is on his heels and keeps backing up.

Reaves was on his heels and backing up for the majority of the fight.

Just watch it again.

Rempe's reach advantage and jab with his non-throwing hand kept Reaves to the outside, and kept Reaves backing up.
I was a boxer for several years as well as a boxing coach. Glad you watch though.

Arkstrom Scorpio

Mar 4, 2024
I love it when a player stands up for himself and his team... when his heart is on the play. But this aint it! Remember Brian Boyle? Never left his feet while hitting an opponent. Dropped the gloves when someone bullied his team mates. This is who Rempe could and should be. Now he's just a goon, a creator of chaos. Sure the fans love him, I myself enjoy fighting as part of the game of hockey, but man... this is just whack!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I love it when a player stands up for himself and his team... when his heart is on the play. But this aint it! Remember Brian Boyle? Never left his feet while hitting an opponent. Dropped the gloves when someone bullied his team mates. This is who Rempe could and should be. Now he's just a goon, a creator of chaos. Sure the fans love him, I myself enjoy fighting as part of the game of hockey, but man... this is just whack!

Are you mad about his clean hit on your defenseman? This whining from Leafs fans is insane.

Can’t wait until the Rempe circus side show is over. Goons add nothing to the game.

Except he’s an excellent 4th liner. He may go to the AHL at the deadline, but he’s not going to go away.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

You think Reaves clearly won, but this "clearly in Reaves favour" isn't supported by the majority of the people.

The voting results on that page, with 220 voters is: 38% Reaves, 42% Rempe, and 20% draw.

This seems accurate.

In fact, if anyone would have won this fight by decision, it would have been Rempe.

Didn't you see the way Reaves kept backing up, backing up, backing up for the first 75% of the fight?

In boxing, the fighter that keeps coming forward is viewed as the aggressor, and these fighters gain judge's points more than the fighter that is on his heels and keeps backing up.

Just watch it again.

Rempe's reach advantage and jab with his non-throwing hand kept Reaves to the outside, and kept Reaves backing up.
True, his defense is also really underrated imo especially the way he blocks all the other guys punches with his face

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He is a really terrible fighter, if he was a bit smaller he would be dead already
He may not be fantastic, but he's not Hal Gill either. I mean, the guy had at least close fights with Deslauriers and Reaves, give credit where it's due.

Though I understand that a 6'8 goon in 2024 who fights wearing a visor isn't very well liked around the leagues.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He has an option not to fight and can ask his premeditated opponent to take helmets off (for an additional minor) if he's so old school.
Yea he can't do that either, because you have idiots like Deslauriers who pulled his leg out from under him during the fight almost causing him to land on his head. So he needs to keep the helmet on.

elFefino SVOBODA

Sep 27, 2023

This seems accurate.

Just watch it again.

Well in boxing they actually judge "effective aggression"...

You can be the aggressor, walk forward and get countered all night long, you are not going to score any points according to the judges...

Just keeping coming forward will not make you gain judges point. It is also a lot about controlling the pace of the fight but this is nearly impossible to dictate in a hockey fight.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What the heck is Toronto going to do with Reaves, though? Signed for two more years, at 37 and two points on the season, Reaves doesn’t seem to be able to do anything particularly well. People are still making runs and trolling the Leafs because the team is so soft.
They are going to play him. He is still the best fighter in the league. His win against Rempe showed you that. He is also a great character guy for the room. You troll, but very few others will.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Given that an NHL rink is 85 feet wide this means that Rempe targets Boosh from over 43 feet away and the official is incapable of knowing, understanding and how to apply the charging rule in a game.

The official flat out blew the call despite being in perfect position to make the correct call.
They hardly call that a charge, no matter the player. In this scenario, if the player was 6'1, nobody looks twice at this and yells for a charge. Rempe is big and his strides are long. It looks like a tank coming at you. He's the nearest player attaching a player trying to get possession of a puck coming to him at the boards. They aren't calling this. Just like they don't call players hustling down the entire rink and railing somebody in the boards when attacking a player in pursuit of the puck. With that said, as a NYR fan with this kid on the team I root for, I still did not like the hit. Feet on the ground before the hit, sure, but there wasn't a need for the explosive upward movement from a player near 6'8.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get the impression the NYRs are using and abusing this kid as bait and will discard him when he no longer serves their purpose. It was criminal to have Rempe go into Enterprise Center after an all out war with the monster D-Lo just the night before to face Olivier the next day. His body, face, and hands were probably sore as heck not to mention being slammed hard onto the ice by D-Lo.
I don't belive that's even remotely the case. The Rangers want him to be on the team. That's why he's on the team. They're just dumb.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
They are going to play him. He is still the best fighter in the league. His win against Rempe showed you that. He is also a great character guy for the room. You troll, but very few others will.
You don’t actually think Reaves is the best fighter in the league, do you?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Maybe because Rempe did win the fight against Deslauriers? You don't get credit for a leg sweep in a hockey fight, this isn't MMA.

He lost, you don't ignore takedowns in a hockey fight either, this isn't MMA, but it certainly isn't a kickboxing match either, it's a fight.

If your opponent overpowers you and takes you to the ice, that isn't a negative on him, that scores points. Delauriers outlasted Rempe, landed some solid shots and then landed the takedown, I give him the nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad