Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The same things have been said about Paul Maurice, and his team is in the Stanley Cup final. They might choke and lose game 7, but they are there, and they play the same style of hockey Torts is trying to get the Flyers to play.

Michkov? He's Russian. idk his personality, but if he's like Ovi or Barkov him and Torts will be just fine.

Maurice doesn't villainize offense nearly as severely as Tortorella does. Tortorella practically treats the offensive zone as another form of defense, where the goal is to keep the other team from scoring more than scoring yourself and playmaking is severely throttled.

That's the concern with me for Tortorella. The limits he places and idiotic pointless games he plays. Not ideal for player growth and development.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Your monthly reminder Tortorella has won 4 playoff rounds since the 2004-2005 lockout. He's lost in the 1st round or missed the playoffs 14/17 times. He's won 1 round in the last decade, a series which he has milked bone dry. His mystique is carefully built around winning just the right amount for which to take all the credit, while never making a real dent.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Your monthly reminder Tortorella has won 4 playoff rounds since the 2004-2005 lockout. He's lost in the 1st round or missed the playoffs 14/17 times. He's won 1 round in the last decade, a series which he has milked bone dry. His mystique is carefully built around winning just the right amount for which to take all the credit, while never making a real dent.
The sooner the childish asshat is fired, the better. I don’t want him near Michkov or any skilled young player for that matter.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Maurice is nothing like Torts.

The heat will start at training camp and will ramp up when MM is in the bottom 6, not in top PP and eventually scratched.

Reactions: BiggE

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Did someone just call Barkov Russian? I know one of his parents is, but he was born and raised in Finland. That's such an odd choice.
He has dual citizenship. His father was a Russian hockey player so I kind of assumed his hockey upbringing is more Russian than Finnish.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers management, starting with governor Dan Hilferty, has effusively praised the job that Tortorella has done over his two seasons in general and the 2023-24 campaign in particular. My own take is nuanced -- there are both positives and drawbacks to his tenure so far, as I see it -- but I'll save that discussion for a future time.

The more important topic is this: The Flyers will need to make a decision by next summer as to how much longer they plan for Tortorella to be the head coach and how much longer Tortorella himself wants to do it. Barring an extension, the 2025-26 campaign would be a lame-duck season. That's never a good situation under which to work. It's hard for a coach to be effective that way.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Another way to look at the offensive ineptitude of the Flyers under John Tortorella. The high scoring PK is somewhat masking how truly terrible they have been at scoring goals at all other times.

28th in 5on5 GF/60 at 2.36

31st in 3on3 GF/60 at 3.48

29th in ES GF/60 at 2.53

32nd in PP GF/60 at 4.86 - 31st ranked Chicago is at 5.85, a whole goal better :eek3:

1st in PK GF/60 at 2.02

9th in Empty Net GF/60 at 8.95

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Meltzer brings up a critical point. Tortorella recently turned sixty-six. How many people at sixty-eight, when his current deal runs out, would want to continue with the rigors of being an NHL coach? He said when he was hired that this was going to be his swan song job. So he's probably looking to pick when he finally leaves the game.
That could be now; the end of the season or in two years. Whatever but being on the last year of a contract with no extension in sight causes a coach to lose control over things. He saw that in Columbus.

BritainStix

Oct 20, 2016
Torts is going to be here next year and call it quits when the season ends. I can see it now. I think the flyers are going to go all in to draft and trade for as many young players to build around Michov this year, give them time on the ice. Then bump Torts for a coach who can get the best out of the offensive talent. They will not have Torts managing the likes of Michov for his prime.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Did someone just call Barkov Russian? I know one of his parents is, but he was born and raised in Finland. That's such an odd choice.
Barkov was born and raised in Finland, but his parents are both elite Russian athletes: His dad a pro hockey player and his mom a national basketball player. To me, that makes him a Russian who happened to be born and grow up in Finland. If my wife and I moved to Finland had a kid, he'd still be a Canadian raised in Finland.

Aleksander Barkov - Wikipedia

"Barkov was born on 2 September 1995, in Tampere, Finland to parents Alexander Sr. and Olga Barkov. Both his parents are former professional athletes; his father played ice hockey in Russia, Italy and Finland, while his mother Olga played on the Russian national basketball team. While both Aleksander and his father played ice hockey, his older brother Juri was an aspiring professional tennis player before injuries cut his career short. When Barkov Sr. ended his professional career with Tappara, the family decided to reside in Tampere. Growing up, Barkov and his older brother spoke both Finnish and Russian."

Meltzer brings up a critical point. Tortorella recently turned sixty-six. How many people at sixty-eight, when his current deal runs out, would want to continue with the rigors of being an NHL coach? He said when he was hired that this was going to be his swan song job. So he's probably looking to pick when he finally leaves the game.
That could be now; the end of the season or in two years. Whatever but being on the last year of a contract with no extension in sight causes a coach to lose control over things. He saw that in Columbus.
Il Douché wanted a transition to management plan in Columbus, which they were smart not to give him. He wants the same thing now, but not sure if he'll settle for a Senior Advisor role. I'm happy to have them let him go anytime soon. Now would do.

Reactions: BiggE and renberg

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Barkov was born and raised in Finland, but his parents are both elite Russian athletes: His dad a pro hockey player and his mom a national basketball player. To me, that makes him a Russian who happened to be born and grow up in Finland. If my wife and I moved to Finland had a kid, he'd still be a Canadian raised in Finland.

Aleksander Barkov - Wikipedia

"Barkov was born on 2 September 1995, in Tampere, Finland to parents Alexander Sr. and Olga Barkov. Both his parents are former professional athletes; his father played ice hockey in Russia, Italy and Finland, while his mother Olga played on the Russian national basketball team. While both Aleksander and his father played ice hockey, his older brother Juri was an aspiring professional tennis player before injuries cut his career short. When Barkov Sr. ended his professional career with Tappara, the family decided to reside in Tampere. Growing up, Barkov and his older brother spoke both Finnish and Russian."

The scope in which it was brought up was how Russian players react to coaches. Speaking the language or having Russian parents doesn’t mean he was immersed in the same Russian culture or the Russian athletic system. My family often spoke Italian growing up. I grew up in New Jersey. I’m sure as shit not Italian.

But really the reason that I bothered responding at all is that the idea that life is that reductive is frankly bullshit. We’re all a product of our own experiences.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
This is why an ext is more likely next summer IMO. Unless they fall of the rails and he is fired.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
If we’re lucky, his horse will take the decision out of the Flyer’s hands.
IMG_8449.gif

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
and he cant even suck correctly. just a disaster.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Magua and Larry44

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
The scope in which it was brought up was how Russian players react to coaches. Speaking the language or having Russian parents doesn’t mean he was immersed in the same Russian culture or the Russian athletic system. My family often spoke Italian growing up. I grew up in New Jersey. I’m sure as shit not Italian.

But really the reason that I bothered responding at all is that the idea that life is that reductive is frankly bullshit. We’re all a product of our own experiences.
Nature and nurture both play a part in it. My ancestors came to Canada from Ireland in 1849 and Wales in 1906 and I'm still very much a genetic Welsh-Irishman, for all my lived experiences.

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Barkov sr didn't just play a few games with Tappara and then decided he liked Tampere enough to stay put. He played for 10 seasons during which he became their beloved star player and basically an honorary citizen, who at some point was even entertaining the idea of representing Finland internationally, before dressing up for a few team Russia games.

Alex jr is a Tamperean and Tappara-lifer through and through. Calling him Russian is like calling Donald Trump Scottish.

Reactions: renberg and Fasu

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Yeh, I have a LOT of friends who either have one parent or both parents from a different county...

In relation to Barkov how someone feels or their affinity for nations or culture? Very individual. Some second generation kids at my school would 100% support Pakistan or Bangladesh when they played vs England... others would support England!

My girlfriend grew up in a single parent home with a Moroccan mother... spent every summer in Morocco growing up... and does not speak fluent Darija as her mother had lived in Portugal for a few years before she had her and always spoke Portuguese to her at home. Now, GF is proud to be of Moroccan descent and loves being in Morocco... but she is Portuguese for sure and feels that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad