The NHL embracing sports gambling was a major mistake

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
If we had to worry about everyone, we’d need 90% of ads gone.

No car ads, it may convince a person to buy a car they can’t afford and fall into debt.

No soda commericials.

No alcohol commercials.

No sport commercials, people can get hurt playing, you know?

Etc

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I Am going to say that the league is a business and the gambling is good for them.if you had a problem you should have say something when the Supreme Court made it unilegal.
Were there magic words someone could have said to prevent the US Supreme Court from opening the gambling floodgates? I've studied quite a bit of Con Law, but I've never been introduced to SCOTUS voodoo.

Edit: damn. Guess I will never know the answer to this.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

No car ads, it may convince a person to buy a car they can’t afford and fall into debt.

No soda commericials.

No alcohol commercials.

Etc
Wrong, we just need them gone during live play, no issue for a tv timeout commercial.

Don't worry about him any more.
Hopefully, even though user said he was using a burner.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

No soda commericials.

No alcohol commercials.

Etc
I realize resorting to fallacy makes it easier to appear to make a point, but that goes out the window when people are able to identify there is a fallacy.

Addressing the inundation of gambling ads in hockey broadcasts actually does not require anyone to think we have to "worry about everyone." It doesn't mean no soda, alcohol, car, or sports ads. It just means addressing the one thing.

In fact, it's even simpler than that. We are merely *discussing* the thing, not implementing a change.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Were there magic words someone could have said to prevent the US Supreme Court from opening the gambling floodgates? I've studied quite a bit of Con Law, but I've never been introduced to SCOTUS voodoo.

Edit: damn. Guess I will never know the answer to this.
Isn't the legalization of gambling done state-by-state? I didn't know that was a supreme court thing

No soda commericials.

No alcohol commercials.

Etc
Why is this the response of people? People are discussing gambling advertisements because that is what this thread topic is about. Should soda, fast food and garbage like that be banned from advertising? I don't know, but it should be banned from advertising those things to children during things children watch in my opinion.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Isn't the legalization of gambling done state-by-state? I didn't know that was a supreme court thing

Why is this the response of people? People are discussing gambling advertisements because that is what this thread topic is about. Should soda, fast food and garbage like that be banned from advertising? I don't know, but it should be banned from advertising those things to children during things children watch in my opinion.
The Court decided in a way that leaves it to the states now. Previously, there was a federal statute that superceded state laws and effectively banned sports betting in almost all states.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
My point is this: you get rid of gambling ads, then where is the line drawn?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Why can't the line just be drawn at "only show gambling ads during TV timeouts and intermission commercial breaks"? Just because there is a moral argument against gambling ads in general doesn't mean that the solution to the problem brought up in the OP has to be a ban on gambling ads similar to the ban on tobacco ads.

Reactions: SirJW and 2CHAINZ

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Ok, if they get rid of gambling ads, they should get rid of ads for all bad things. What's the problem with that? I am not advocating for this; I just don't understand the problem. Would your life be destroyed if they stopped allowing ads for alcohol, gambling, soda, and whatever else?

The Court decided in a way that leaves it to the states now. Previously, there was a federal statute that superceded state laws and effectively banned sports betting in almost all states.
Thank you; I didn't want to google it all.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I hope everyone who is unhappy with this has cancelled their paid plans to watch NHL. Otherwise you're just crying in the wind while still paying.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I hope everyone who is unhappy with this has cancelled their paid plans to watch NHL. Otherwise you're just crying in the wind while still paying.
LOL. People can't have a discussion on how to make things better; if you have an open discussion, you are "crying". You ever wonder why things never get done in this world? It's because so many people have this mindset. Just accept things, or you are a crybaby.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean the line was already drawn on tobacco ads, and eventually we'll follow suit with the EU and ban alcohol ads as well (which is why you only see non-alcoholic beer ads in things like EPL and F1). There's not a ban on using them, just advertising them and pressuring people to take part.

Before long, we are absolutely going to need the same treatment for gambling ads as well.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
LOL. People can't have a discussion on how to make things better; if you have an open discussion, you are "crying". You ever wonder why things never get done in this world? It's because so many people have this mindset. Just accept things, or you are a crybaby.
Perhaps you took "crying" really to heart there? I just meant, if you don't do anything about it, then complaining about gambling on some random messageboard doesn't do anything.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Perhaps you took "crying" really to heart there? I just meant, if you don't do anything about it, then complaining about gambling on some random messageboard doesn't do anything.
You won't be able to find a single person who thinks their participation in this thread will lead to anything more than notifications on this site.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Bro I 100% knew your response before you even typed it. Yes, the direct attack on my feelings, lol. You are all the same.

Why is it that people discussing something equals complaining? Also, why do you even open this thread up? You just need to come in here and tell everyone they are a baby?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
OK done. Now what? Do I have your permission to continue discussing this topic?
I didn't realize I asked you to?

My comment wasn't meant to stifle discussion. Just a reminder that nothing happens unless you vote with your wallet. Apparently you have, so good on you there champ.

Bro I 100% knew your response before you even typed it. Yes, the direct attack on my feelings, lol. You are all the same.

Why is it that people discussing something equals complaining? Also, why do you even open this thread up? You just need to come in here and tell everyone they are a baby?
Okay, discuss away, I didn't realize my comment would be so controversial. It was never my intent to stifle discussion in any way either.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I didn't realize I asked you to?

My comment wasn't meant to stifle discussion. Just a reminder that nothing happens unless you vote with your wallet. Apparently you have, so good on you there champ.

Okay, discuss away, I didn't realize my comment would be so controversial. It was never my intent to stifle discussion in any way either.
You literally said "everyone" but sorry for upsetting you with my reply. I'll try to be more careful.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Arguing over hockey doesn't do anything either, but here we are.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
You literally said "everyone" but sorry for upsetting you with my reply. I'll try to be more careful.
Yes, I'm just so upset right now. I just have to cut my arms and legs off so I can't type something so mean ever again.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
LOL I swear it's like there is some play book of responses. "I didn't realize my comment would be so controversial." Nothing you said was controversial; you contributed absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
It's also, at best, the fourth time someone has come into the discussion with the same attempted gotcha of "i hope everyone complaining stops giving money to the NHL"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad